• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumpjumper3
    258 I6
    • May 24, 2007

Quadra Trac Blues

I have a 1978 Cherokee Chief S with a 360 AMC Turbo 400 and a Quadra Trac and my problem is that i swapped my old transfer case out because it had way too much slack in it and my old teacher gave me my "new" one with the Mile Marker 4x2 kit in it for free. Score right? Well not really, I am only 17 and this was my first transfer case swap, so needless to say i ended up with a chest full of atf (it was on a lift) after 3 hours of work to pull it out and another 2 to put it back in we test it out and the darn thing makes a horible clunking sound when i hit the gas. Shop quoted me 600 bucks to tear it apart and fix it. I only work part time so that was not an option. So me and my best bud (another gearnut) dropped it in my backyard and with the help of my shop manual and my dad we cracked the case and took a peek inside. so we had both the "new" and old case apart and found that there was a washer left on the inside of the case on the front out put shaft of the new case, so it shortended the threads and the yoke came to the case instead of the end of the threads. So we took it out put it back together and reinstalled it with all new seals and the darn thing leaked! I have had this case out 5 times and resealed it 5 times! it wont seal and i have spent over 100 dollars on quadra trac fluid. Sorry for the long talk but i just want to know if the case is warped and i need a new case. Or shoud i just put the internals of the new case into the old case. Thanks

1978 Cherokee, 4 in and 33s

• dusty
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 20, 2006

grey silicon is your friend. works better than the factory gasket but make sure that you have all the old gasket material removed from the mating surfaces.
    Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
    The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• grand_wag_85
      Murphy's Law Poster Child
      • Dec 03, 2003

I hear ya on those leaks...

Pssst-You don't need Quadra-Trac fluid for the 4x2 kit
      You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
      '88 GW
      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• dusty
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 20, 2006

put your general local on your profile then if someone here is close they may offer to assist or to take a gander for you.

good catch on the lube
        Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
        The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• wickedwagon767
          304 AMC
          • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
          I hear ya on those leaks...

Pssst-You don't need Quadra-Trac fluid for the 4x2 kit
          a second tap to tha noggin

the MileMarker 4x2 kit allows the use of ATF

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Beyond the whole ATF vs QT fluid thing and on to the leak thing... Where is that leak? The seal between the case halves? The seal between the tranny adapter and QT? There is supposed to be a thrust washer just behind the front output bearing if that is the one you are talking about.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• stumpjumper3
              258 I6
              • May 24, 2007

To fullsizjeep

I cant really tell where the leak is coming from. it just kinda padiddles all over the place when i am driving. However when i let is sit after driving it it leaks into a puddle directly under the t-case.
              1978 Cherokee, 4 in and 33s

Comment

Working...
              X