no brake or tail lights..but turn signals! (EDIT:FIXED!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griffsyj
    232 I6
    • Mar 21, 2009

no brake or tail lights..but turn signals! (EDIT:FIXED!)

Well heres the deal..The turn signals work..so I know the light bulb is getting power. When you turn the headlights on, the tail lights don't come on..and when you press the brake pedal, the lights still don't come on. I replaced the Brake pedal switch already and checked all the fuses. Any ideas where to start? For some reason, there's an in line fuse hooked into the wires that go to the plug for the brake pedal switch, but the fuse looks fine in it as well.

Anyone know which wires (on the plug harness thats attached to the right side of the steering column) are the power for the system? I believe that is the correct harness for the lights...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Tomorrow I'll check for power going to the plug that goes to the pedal brake switch, but if that has power...where else should I look?

(EDIT:FIXED) It was 2 different things. First, i had found that the hazard lights didnt work, but turn signals did. I got the parking light to work by tightening the ground bolt. As dumb as it seems, and I hadn't noticed until today when I was poking around in the fender well...that it was loose. So that fixed the parking light. Then I started tracing the wires for the brake lights, and after lots of test lighting, I found that the brake switch was good (used a multi meter to test resistance) but the plug wasn't getting power. kept test lighting all the way to the fuse panel just to find that I had read the fuse panel wrong, and replaced the wrong fuse. The right fuse was corroded. Replaced it...and VOILA. brake lights work! Thanks for the diagram, and suggestions..it helped quite a bit in the long tracing process in the rain.
    Last edited by griffsyj; 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM.
    '83 Wagoneer-AMC 360. all stock undergoing partial restoration
    '93 YJ-undergoing lcog build. D44/60, 37s. Locked and loaded
    '79 J-20 donor vehicle
  • SnowShoe
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2008

Wiring Gremlins Strike Again

Double check your ground wire (should be white) at the rear tailights and check the harness plugs at the frame near the rear drivers side and the plugs in the wells behind each taillight. Also clean out each light socket and remove any oxidization. Try new bulbs. You didn't state year make and model, but I think you said you have 1 bulb with both turn and brake...if so you need a #1157 bulb...also did these lights work before you sarted having problems...or has this been a problem since you aquired the Jeep?

Comment

• janie
      • Aug 11, 2001

Rick's correct. Check your ground. Had the exact same problem on my Honcho.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• griffsyj
        232 I6
        • Mar 21, 2009

It's an '83 Wagoneer with the AMC 360. I bought it from my uncle...who said the tail lights worked, but driving it home proved otherwise. I already changed the bulbs, I'll check the grounds next.

Thanks for the fast responses!
        '79 J-20 donor vehicle

Comment

• griffsyj
          232 I6
          • Mar 21, 2009

I have found that the passenger side parking light works, but the brake doesn't..and the driver's side light doesn't work at all unless its the turn signal. Tried checking the grounds but Theres so much spliced in wiring, with connectors, and then theres rogue wires that go to nothing, and a connector that goes to nothing back in the drivers side panel.

I need a diagram for the wiring thats under the truck, by the frame rail so I can trace out each wire. Theres so much mud and corrosion under there that I cant even tell what color the wires are. Anyone have a diagram for that?
          '79 J-20 donor vehicle

Comment

• ironhorsecowboy
            232 I6
            • Apr 29, 2007

The problem with the brake lights could be your turn signal switch.Had the same problem on an old Dodge truck of mine.Lights worked,turn signals worked,but no brake lights.20.00 part fixed it up.Also check the actual sockets your bulbs plug into.They get corroded after a while.
            "Its is better to be thought a fool,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by griffsyj
              I need a diagram for the wiring thats under the truck, by the frame rail so I can trace out each wire. Theres so much mud and corrosion under there that I cant even tell what color the wires are. Anyone have a diagram for that?
              Here we go

Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
              X