• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AM Woody
    258 I6
    • Jan 11, 2003

OT: Wrangler auto trans diagnosis

Sorry for the spam, but it is a Jeep and a Torqueflite, so maybe not a total waste. I haven't had much luck with the YJ Wrangler crowd for tech support. Seems all they know and/or talk about is lift kits and chrome accesories. This group always has great tech advice so I thought I'd post here.

I'm looking for some intelligent troubleshooting advice on my "new" '94 Wrangler 2.5L with 904 trans (at least according to one site it's a 904, numbers off the pan rail are: 4 PK5211.)

The main problem is the 2-3 upshift. The behavior is erratic, no consistent patterns in terms of temp, speed, or throttle input. It will sometimes not shift out of second at all. If it does it will slip for short or rather lengthy periods of time. If it slips briefly it seems like runaway. If it slips for a few seconds, I don't know if that's considered runaway in the traditional sense of the word; it sometimes sticks there and doesn't upshift at all, back off the throttle and it goes back to second.

It has 82K miles, the fluid is full and normal looking/smelling. The PO is a friend and didn't mention the problem. He let it sit for 6 or 8 months with a fuel injection problem I have resolved. I've only driven it 40 miles total so far. Trans acts fine otherwise, except for occasional delayed engagement going into reverse, either hot or cold.

So, what is controlling the 2-3 upshift? What can I check? I'm not scared of getting it rebuilt, but if it comes to that is there anything
    in particular I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advice,
    Andy
    - Andy M.

89 Grand Wagoneer. Status: Operational
    92 XJ Laredo. Original family owners
    00 XJ Limited. T-boned. Need new body
    00 XJ Limited RWD
    06 TJ Rubicon. Original owners
  • robselina
    304 AMC
    • Feb 26, 2003

well, this problem and the slow shift into reverse make me think it's pressure related. Are you positive you're not low on fluid? You have to check it in neutral, not park....if level is good, then I'd probably check my filter next, since that could be restricting flow...
    Rob

Comment

• gsmikie
      Auto Trannie God
      • Feb 18, 2001

adjust the bands
      I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• AM Woody
        258 I6
        • Jan 11, 2003

Okay, double checked: fluid is about 1/2 quart overfull.

So, I'll drop the pan and do a fluid/filter change and adjust the bands. Know any sites where I can properly ID this trans and thereby get the proper band adjusting specs?

Thanks!!
        - Andy M.

00 XJ Limited RWD

Comment

• gsmikie
          Auto Trannie God
          • Feb 18, 2001

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• AM Woody
            258 I6
            • Jan 11, 2003

I finally adjusted the bands, and changed the fluid and filter the other week. No change in behavior. There were some shavings in the filter.

According to the FSM (someone elses), this is a 30RH transmission. I'm having a hard time finding anything out about this transmission from doing web searches. I'm sort of gleaning that is essentially the same as a 904, but with a lockup torque converter. Anyone know if it's true?

I ask because I have a friend who does early Torqueflites and Powerflites, up to 727 and 904. He's not hip on the later numbering system. If this thing isn't much different than a 904, he can rebuild it for me cheap!
            - Andy M.

00 XJ Limited RWD

Comment

• 2ndtimearround
              350 Buick
              • Jul 19, 2002

Check out the transmission section on http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Main

Lawrence
              Lawrence
              • 92 YJ -- Mean Green Starter, 4x4 Posi-lok, Tuffy Overhead Console, 2 meter ham radio, CB, Borla Cat Back Exhaust
              • 86 FSJ -- NOS Gas Tank Skid Plate, TFI Upgrade with Accel Super Coil

Comment

• SVO42
                350 Buick
                • Aug 27, 2003

Maybe a servo (intermediate/front) or vacuum modulator?
                Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
                1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
                1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
                1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
                1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

• hagar
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 17, 2004

based on your description I would guess a problem with the output shaft support or govenor support.
                  I have seen vehicles with your symptoms; upon disassembly of troubled units, have found very deep grooves worn into these housings where the sealing rings ride. Might be okay for first couple of shifts when cold but once warmed up, would do what you describe.
                  You can leave the trans in the vehicle for this, but have to remove transfer case and adapter for govenor and/or housing inspection
                  e-guess for trans e-repair

Comment

Working...
                  X