• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlwaysInOverMyHead
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 20, 2020

1985 Jeep GW, my first

Hello all, I've been on the forum here for a while now and gotten some good tips and information already. Never officially said hello. I have little overall mechanical knowledge (Focker's a male nurse!) but can follow directions very well. I figured bodywork would be hardest for me to do and after going back and forth for years, I found a 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoner in Florida, had a mobile mechanic check it out, and his evaluation made me buy it. I had it shipped up here to Michigan just in time to put it in the garage for winter. I do not want our liberal salt to degrade it. One rust through spot on a rear quarter, but the underside looks cleaner than my 3 year old minivan. So far I have learned a lot. I TFI upgraded, replaced rear main seal, oil pan gasket, trans pan of course with filter and gasket (got to re-tap 4 holes to get it to tighten), removed all of the interior except the dash, got seat covers from BJs but had somebody sew carpet to match the ACC carpets I bought on the back of the vinyl seats because I love that tacky look, headlight harness upgraded, and am getting ready to swap to the abs plastic trim panels I got from forum member men in black. I am getting a quote on bodywork and a paint job. Haven't seen another gold/honey colored one in person before and thinking of keeping it the same even though I do love the navy and woodgrain look. Anyhow, enough talk. Thank you to all those who have done it before me and shared your knowledge. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully I can learn enough to share one day.

• Waggymcgee
    232 I6
    • Oct 19, 2020

Hey there. Would you mind posting pictures of those seat covers? I love the tacky carpet on them too.
    Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

Congrats! FL is pretty decent on rust issues unless you drive on the beach. Looks like there might be overload springs on the rear? Love the color. Wagoneers are happier if you bust them out of the wood crate (dump the wood grain) and never look back. We love pictures here. Please toss us more.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• backroadin'
        350 Buick
        • Aug 11, 2004

Love the stance! Welcome to the forum.... officially!
        1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• AlwaysInOverMyHead
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 20, 2020

More pics

Original:

It would have cost far too much for me to part with to have her wrap the carpet around the sides like the originals but the carpet is there.

I feel like Austin Powers Goldmember. "I like goooooooold!" Can't wait to see these cleaned and polished.

Comment

• AlwaysInOverMyHead
            230 Tornado
            • Jul 20, 2020

Not sure about the springs

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
            Congrats! FL is pretty decent on rust issues unless you drive on the beach. Looks like there might be overload springs on the rear? Love the color. Wagoneers are happier if you bust them out of the wood crate (dump the wood grain) and never look back. We love pictures here. Please toss us more.

I'll have to look and get back to you on it. Not sure offhand about the springs. I had to google what they are. Has the hitch and some wiring for tow that I have to figure out so it may be a possibility.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
              Murphy's Law Poster Child
              • Dec 03, 2003

Congrats! Always liked the '85 because you got the final updated instrument cluster for the round gauges and a few other cool odds and ends. Those wheels are awesome too.
              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
              '88 GW
              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
              X