• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operations
    232 I6
    • Feb 07, 2010

1968 Jeep Wagoneer "Unicorn Fable."

So there I was, there I was... romping thru the desert in my daily driver and it dawned on me... "I forgot to pack T.P. again!" Once that brooding moment had passed and a few quad trails were remade to full size truck trails with a couple of three wheels out of four on the ground maneuvers, another thought... "Why am I romping my DD? I still owe on this mug!"

Back at home, I was reminded of a project that I had shelved. A FSJ!! (This is the part where you cheer out loud.)

The plan started out to take a year to find "my" Jeep. 4 days later I found a 1968 in Tuscon on an Ebay Classified Ad. I have to have it.

Quick story:

From the ad, the PO said the engine won't run and the tranny is shot. His story in person; "...Drove the truck around the block about a year ago with the engine smoking and tranny slipping so bad and I smelt burnt tranny oil and could barely get it in the driveway. I even topped off the tranny fluid before I left. I've had it sitting for at the house for over 8 years and start it up every so often."

Two hours later, having cleaned the plugs and squirted a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and a shot of starting fluid, I asked him to "bump" the engine. Three engine rotations and the engine fired up. I heard at least one lifter pump up slightly and had 60# of oil pressure per the aftermarket gauges. Coolant circulating and looking good, while the engine was warm, it had @30# of oil pressure. I had rerouted the vacuum lines and tuned the engine to 18.5" of vacuum with no visible flutter on the Vacuum Gauge and the idle smooth(er'ish... Mmmm mostly smooth for a dirty carb and valves.) A gallon of ATF3 and I drove the truck out of the driveway and onto my rented trailer. I used about 3 gallons of gas during that time. Some of it was spilt by way of the manner at which I had improvised a gas can into a gas tank.

The PO, looked at me and said, "Well hell, if that was all it took to get the truck running, I would have done that myself!"

Once home, I forgot all about starting a cold carb engine. Only took me 5 attempts, the "Oh yeah... pump... Vroom!"

Now the machine sits in the drive beckoning to me to satisfy all it's needs to get back on the road A.S.A.P. at this point I have been up 30+ hours and have been focused on just what the machine calls to me.

This has been a good day.

Cheers,

Last edited by Operations; 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM.
    "Thank God for Red-necks... this is a really big truck and these are really big guns..." -Tallahassee; Zombieland

http://s932.photobucket.com/home/ope...view=slideshow
  • orangebike
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 16, 2009

have to.......
    81 chief-straight six auto soa and 3 inch body lift 3/4 ton running gear...37 boggers...ready for 39s....Wheeler
    74 401 t18 lifted 6" on 33s for now..soon to be firewood/tow rig
    73 j4000 -360-th400 d20 on 33s....now the farm rig
    Couple parts jeeps
    66 chevelle ss-396
    66 chevelle clone 396

Stuff for free.....is worth saving up for

Comment

• Operations
      232 I6
      • Feb 07, 2010

I apologize, I am having issues with loading pix. See: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=116661

Cheers,

"Thank God for Red-necks... this is a really big truck and these are really big guns..." -Tallahassee; Zombieland

Comment

• jaber
        Dragin Az
        • Oct 17, 2003

Great story.

This thread will help you and the pic issue....

Jeff

'43 cj2a
        '51 Willys p/u
        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
        '68 Panel Delivery
        '74 CJ5
        '75 J-20 Wrecker
        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
        '77 J-10 p/u
        '79 Cherokee
        '88 Grand Wagoneer
        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Gutter
          258 I6
          • Jan 04, 2008

I'd put some TP in a plastic bag and place it behind the seat before you go any further.........

Congrats, good story.
          .....Wish it was a Hilfiger Edition.....

Comment

• mnewxcv
            232 I6
            • Jan 12, 2010

awesome! I love those old wagoneers
            wanting my own FSJ

Comment

• Operations
              232 I6
              • Feb 07, 2010

Oh yeah, did I mentioned I bought it for $500?

I am very pleased with the truck.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X