• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by joe
    Love the LWB Thriftsides. I even like the unpretentious color. Thas gonna be a nice truck!
    Thank you! I was wanting something desert themed, and well..Rustoleum Gloss Almond fit like a tee..and is durable and dirt cheap ($40-45 a gallon).

wow..the disc kit is 71lbs and sitting in Memphis. I can't believe they do the free shipping on that kit! Hope it's awesome!

DING:

Jan update: went through a lot of crap to get (what I hope) is the RIGHT kit for the early D60 8lug narrow drum. Alas, the 60 degree days ended about a week before that was settled, and waiting for the snow to melt to get back at it.
    Last edited by Gambler68; 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

welp, got the #'s on the tax return...this piggy is getting finished this spring.

First up will be the steering kit for the front, ujoints and rebuild kits for the HD4/D60, a high steer spacer and longer studs, a DPA if I need one (I doubt it), and a slew of little crap. Wish me luck!

update on the brake kit: if you have a 71 rear D60 with narrow drums, order the dodge kit/TELL the guy exactly what you have. Went through a lot of annoying crap to get the right parts. He was very quick on working it out though. Later J20 D60s are what his FSJ kits are based on, not the early ones like this one.
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

just throwing stuff in here for m'build notes...

Vatozone 1310-1330 conversion joint: Neapco 1-0134 greasable. $12.49 cheap enough to see if it's what I need. If so I'll run it till it breaks or a get a better quality one.

ordered rear spindle nuts and washers from Rockauto, around 22 bux shipped for both sides. Wicked deal compared to anywhere else...if they fit.
        Last edited by Gambler68; 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

Ran the conversion joint in Crom for 2 years and never broke it
          charlie
          KB0HXA
          "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
          congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
          Robert A. Heinlein
          The birth of CROM is recorded here
          http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
            GrimJeeperReaper
            • Jul 08, 2002

Kewl, seems I had to wait on my tax return for a few things too..lol. Looking back I see you put in pic's of them seats. I'm thinking I'll probably keep mine too.
            1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

Good to hear Charlie! I havent measured but the driveshaft I have is a 1310, and it fits too loosely in the 71 FF D60 yoke, but not hugely loose, so that must be a 1330. 13 bux isn't a lot to see if it works.

Yeah I like the seats a lot, the pass. side one is mounted a little crooked, may fix that before settling on a floor covering. I need to figure out some seatbelts for it, I'd really like some sort of harness set up.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Gambler68
                Disc kit is enroute.

Soon as I verify I can do full crossover, this looks like the kit I'll go with if I decide not to thread my own: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-427...ering-kit.html

ORDERED!!! can't wait till this comes in.
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

spindle nuts and washers came in...the washers are the right size, but the nuts are too small :/ 2 1/6"...ones I need are a bit larger, alas. Ordered for the year the axle came out of So beware that on Rockauto..

Now, looking on a 1971 suburban, they use the 2 3/16th size nut with the 4 prongs for the common socket sold for em. Think I'll try these 615-121 outers, 615-120 for the inners. another $30 in the pot...

Spicer axle ujoints came in...nice and burly!!!

Picked up the 1310 conversion joint at Autozone..of course 3 bux more in store than on the website, and not greasable..Brute Force brand. Good enough to see if it's what I need.

edit: dummy me didnt need the 1310/1330 joint..musta eyeballed it wrong. D60 had a 1310 yoke on it, so know I have a spare conversion joint to carry in my wheeling jeep

picking up the rest of my lugs tomorrow and will be re-assembling the rear end this week weather permitting.
                  Last edited by Gambler68; 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                    Rabble Rouser
                    • Feb 29, 2004

.250 wall tie rod and drag link kit came in the other day from East Coast Gear vendors..with the Pirate discount on shipping cost me $210 with the weld in bungs, 4 tres/jam nuts. VERY nice!!!! Not quite sure the 'procedure' for getting the tires straight (guess I'll just get the measurements even from the inside front and rear of the rims side to side) to get the right lengths for the links, mark em and drop em off to my welder to do up. I also assume I have to ream the draglink for the GM TRE, need to find out what that will require...I have a toolbox full of reamers so hopefully one is correct.

Also picked up rear 3.75 inch round tail/brake/turn lights at Big R Ranch Stores for 7.99 each, going to make up cans for those or mount in the rear bumper (which I haven't made/found/bought yet).

Weather is spring like now, so progress is coming along!
                    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

throwing this HANDY!!! link for work I'll soon be doing on the front HD44.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

Doing little crap on the truck while I wait for the last 13 lugs and nuts I need in the world to be delivered..mounted the fuel pump switch and another accessory switch in the radio holes. That's an old chrome inner bezel from the original radio, going to make a plate that mounts on the inside, and put a small media player in there hooked up to a small amp tucked up in the dash. Likely will make some sort of flip plate to hide the player since it'll clash with the later 60s theme I have going with the truck. Dig the 1776-1976 quarter I used on the left for the switch base..other side is an 81..don't see too many 1968 quarters any more..yeah I was bored enough to commit a felony by defacing US currency :P
                        The left switch flips up for the Holley red top, and down for a spotlight mounted under the bed..afterthought realized I couldn't use the light without killing the pump, but it's unlikely I'd want to be under it with the beast running anyways. I'm going to tuck two little LEDS in the tube rolls on the willys bed for rear facing lights anyways.
                        Last edited by Gambler68; 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM.
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Charlie_B
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 18, 2005

cool idea with the coins.

project looks like it coming along. Its always those little things that take forever, isnt it?
                          '79 Cherokee "Goldie" - under the knife Part I; Part II
                          Currently: body is on, now finishing undercarriage
                          '92 Cherokee "Rusty" - 3" lift, 31s
                          '05 Evo MR "Eve"

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Charlie_B
                            cool idea with the coins.

project looks like it coming along. Its always those little things that take forever, isnt it?
                            Thanks! Yeah the little stuff fills up the time well waiting on the big stuff tho
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

doing up a hood for the truck...

teaser pic:

Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                                Señor Jackhead
                                • Aug 21, 2002

tease away bro, good to see you motivated!
                                Flint
                                Ran when parked.
                                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X