X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

Wiring old style (early 60s) headlight buckets into new style wiring harness

So I have a set of early headlight buckets from a rhino grilled rig that have part of their original wiring harness attached to them. I am trying to get them onto my 76 J20.
    Here's the problem:
    The old style buckets have a sort of two-stage wiring harness. They have two wires going into the main outer bucket and then through a plug and into the inner wiring harness where they attach to the plug that goes into the back of the headlight. The thing is that the wiring on the '76 won't pass through the little plug on the outer bucket to go into the headlight, and if I were to try to splice them in, it wouldn't work since the new style has 4 wires whereas the old only has the two.

I guess I could enlarge the opening on the old style headlight buckets to allow the 76 harness to go straight into the headlight, but that seems kinda like the "hack" approach. Has anyone else run into this? What is the best solution?

Thanks.
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)
  • J10Mike
    Delightfully Incompetent
    • Jun 04, 2003

Jode,
    I came across that too. What I did was to cut out a circle on the back of the buckets using the cheapie HF hole saw. It was noisy, but it worked. And, I didn't have to do any splicing. The headlight plugs in easily from the back.
    www.j10mike.com
    Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• jode
      JB Welder
      • Apr 08, 2002

Alright cool - I guess if it was good enough for you, then it is good enough for me
      No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

X2 just make sure to smooth the hole and/or add a peice of strip gommet around the hole so the insolation does not cut itslef open on the sharp edge. (Or the other route is to just use a set late model CJ buckets, with all the work already done)
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
        X