• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hogwagon
    232 I6
    • Apr 19, 2004

roof drip rail rust

I have a few rust spot appearing on the outside of the roof at the drip rail. I've removed the headliner and see that the roof rack attachment screws are leaking and allowing water to pool inside the roof near the drip rail. I can see the rust on the inside of the roof using a mirror and a flashlight. So far, it's only surface rust on the inside and small rust spots on the outside.
    I'm considering cleaning the area thoroughly and using a rust converter. My main concern is that rust is in between the drip rail channel and the roof panel.
    Has anyone attempting this and had success?
    Hogwagon
    1985 GW
  • gbarrett
    258 I6
    • Jun 23, 2000

I had the same thing on my Cherokee and Wagoneer. I borrowed a detail bead blaster and shot the questionalbe areas. I then wiped them down with a rag soaked in Ospho. After that dried, I rubbed a Scotch-brite pad on the area and shot the "no-show" spots with rubberized undercoating. On the areas that show, I prepped, primed, and painted it. So far, so good. No more rust in those areas for more than 5 years.
    84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

• hogwagon
      232 I6
      • Apr 19, 2004

Looks like I've got quite a mess. I've been using a wire wheel on a drill and removing the old blistering paint. The rust is pretty much continuous from front to back in the drip rail channel. In some spots, it has worked it's way upward on the roof exterior a inch or two. There are a couple of small rust-through holes. When I open the door and look upward, I can see light rust at the spot welds.
      Should I put a seam sealant in the drip rail?
      Also, how do I remove the chrome trim that surrounds the tailgate window opening?
      I hate rust.
      Hogwagon,
      1985 GW

Comment

• hogwagon
        232 I6
        • Apr 19, 2004

Here's a picture of the drip rail rust.

Hogwagon,
        1985 GW

Comment

• gbarrett
          258 I6
          • Jun 23, 2000

If you can do it, you need to put some metal behind the holes first, if not, use fiberglass reinforced body filler. After that, you can use seam sealant, or better yet, some body filler. Be sure you prime and paint the filler immediately. It will act as a sponge and hold water if given the chance. If you wet sand the filler, dry it out before you paint it. Then load up the back side of your work with rubberized undercoating. That will seal things up pretty well.

My experience with seam sealer has been that after a short time it will develop very small cracks then you are back to your original problem but someone else may have better experience with that.

As for the chrome piece around the tailgate window, it pulls straight out. It uses several clips that use tension to hold to the body seam.

My Red Wagon was a rust bucket when I bought it, as a matter of fact, people laughed at me when I would drive it. One of the local news shows caught a pic of it behind a reporter and used it as an "ugly vehicle" report. It took some time and elbow grease to make it what it is, but I now have a truck that I'm very proud of.
          84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

Working...
          X