• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 91blaze
    232 I6
    • Aug 05, 2012

1980 J10 Transfer Case Questions

The people over at Jeep Forum are not very responsive, so I figured you guys would be more suited to help. (Copied from the other forum)

Hey everybody, I'm picking up my first Jeep this week. It's a 1980 J10 with inline 6 and manual transmission. The guy says there is something wrong with the transfer case so it won't go into 4 wheel drive. I just have a few questions about the transfer case in this truck.

1) What model is the transfer case? I've read that it's a NP208 model, is this the same as the NP208 that is used in blazers and other vehicles?

2) Is it possible to get a SelecTrac system to work in the J10? If so, what would be involved in doing this and what parts would I need besides the transfer case?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
    John
    1979 J10 WIP 360/T15/D20
    Full rebuild, lift, paint, POR15 frame, 33's, winch, lockers, etc.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=158306
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

It's an NP208 and the internals are similar to the GM, Ford and Dodge units but only another Jeep/AM NP208 will bolt directly in.

Any of the '80's Full size Jeep transfer cases will replace the one that's in it. You will need a different rear drive shaft for it. Along with the vacuum stuff if you go with an NP228/229.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• 91blaze
      232 I6
      • Aug 05, 2012

Thanks for the fast response. I thought it would be cool to have full-time 4x4 using Selectrac. Can't wait to get my J10
      John
      1979 J10 WIP 360/T15/D20

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

The general consensus is that an NP229 won't hold up behind a manual transmission. The where only ever offered with auto's. NP208's are great t-cases, you'd be better off finding out why it won't shift. Could be something stupid and easy to fix.
        Thomas Russell
        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
        1971 Gladiator
        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 91blaze
          2) Is it possible to get a SelecTrac system to work in the J10? If so, what would be involved in doing this and what parts would I need besides the transfer case?
          Which is the SelecTrac? That's a marketing name, and I believe it could be a NP228, NP229 or NP242. If it's a full-time case with a viscous coupler or clutch packs, the word is it won't hold up to the impact load of a manual transmission. Jeep only offered the full-time cases with an automatic transmission in FSJs, for this reason. From 1980 on, the NP208 was your only transfer case choice with a manual in a FSJ.

My opinion - fix the NP208, drive it and be proud.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 91blaze
            232 I6
            • Aug 05, 2012

Originally posted by tgreese
            Which is the SelecTrac? That's a marketing name, and I believe it could be a NP228, NP229 or NP242. If it's a full-time case with a viscous coupler or clutch packs, the word is it won't hold up to the impact load of a manual transmission. Jeep only offered the full-time cases with an automatic transmission in FSJs, for this reason. From 1980 on, the NP208 was your only transfer case choice with a manual in a FSJ.

The Selectrac I'm referring to is the one in Grand Cherokees. I wont have the truck for a few days, so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what I want to do.

Right now I'm driving a 91 S10 Blazer, but I found this J10 for cheap and couldn't resist. I plan on restoring the truck, lifting about 3", and possibly doing some mods the engine.The Jeep will be my daily and I will drive the Blazer in the winter since it's already rusted.

Maybe I can figure out a way to put the Selectrac in my blazer.
            John
            1979 J10 WIP 360/T15/D20

Comment

• KC0GFG
              232 I6
              • Feb 25, 2012

don't convert! stick with the 208. save the cash for lift, tires and a floor pan. but if your set on select trac, whay stop there? id find a doror grand cherokee and swap the drive train.

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by tgreese

x2. It's a good tcase. If it's broken, fix it.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• addicted
                  Big Meanie
                  • Dec 11, 2004

Originally posted by joe
                  x2. It's a good tcase. If it's broken, fix it.
                  if it's not broken fix it 'till it is.
                  Originally posted by Ristow
                  i bet it was Simon....
                  he's such big meanie that way...
                  please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• WHSII
                    Hack-Priss
                    • Feb 06, 2010

There are many thought as to shifting these cases to get them in gear.

A lot of times they get between gears and make terrible noises.

In a bind, I have had to shut down the engine to get the lever to allow a 4WHi to 4WLo shift.

Linkage adjustment could have been tampered with also.

I would disconnect the linkage and manually shift it by crawling underneath, with it not running to see before I got too far into replacing.
                    Might have to raise the rear wheels.

Just my thoughts.
                    WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                    Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• gsmikie
                      Auto Trannie God
                      • Feb 18, 2001

i have shift fork pads for it
                      I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

Originally posted by 91blaze
                        The Selectrac I'm referring to is the one in Grand Cherokees. I wont have the truck for a few days, so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what I want to do.

Right now I'm driving a 91 S10 Blazer, but I found this J10 for cheap and couldn't resist. I plan on restoring the truck, lifting about 3", and possibly doing some mods the engine.The Jeep will be my daily and I will drive the Blazer in the winter since it's already rusted.

Maybe I can figure out a way to put the Selectrac in my blazer.

First, it sounds like maybe the chain is skipping or broken in the NP208 or the hubs aren't locking. Try shifting into 4x4 (with the hubs unlocked) and see if the front driveshaft still spins. If it does, then the tcase isn't working. If it doesn't spin then either the spider gears are toast or one/both hubs aren't working. If you lock the hubs then try to spin a front tire (lift only one off the ground) with the tcase in 4x4 and trans in gear, the front driveshaft should NOT turn.
                        If it does, problem is in the tcase. If it doesn't, but the wheel spins, first look at the Ujoint behind that wheel. If it doesn't spin with the wheel, that hub isn't working. If it spins with the tire, the problem is elsewhere. If the ujoint on the other side spins, then it's the hub on that side not engaging. If neither axle spins (as seen at the ujoints) nor the front driveshaft, the problem is in the front differential.
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 91blaze
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 05, 2012

Looks like I'm not getting the truck unless I can convince the seller that it's worthwile to get a replacement title because he "lost" it. He wants to sell the truck for $500 for parts. The only thing wrong with it is the t-case and missing title. It's the only J10 in the area for less than 2 grand and the guy only wants to sell it for parts.

So... either it's stolen or he's the laziest person in the world.
                          John
                          1979 J10 WIP 360/T15/D20

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

Show him some money then walk. You'll see how lazy he really is.
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 91blaze
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 05, 2012

I talked to him on the phone and told him I would pay extra if he got the title. Also, he lives over an hour away so I only want to make the trip once.
                              John
                              1979 J10 WIP 360/T15/D20

Comment

Working...
                              X