• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaggywaggy88
    258 I6
    • Feb 22, 2011

Holley 4160 DIY Truck Avenger

While ive been looking for the right carb to throw on my stock 360 ive done alot of hoping and dreaming about a holley truck avenger. Everywhere i look they are out of my price range so I stopped looking for a TA and started looking for a carb that shared the characteristics that make the TA good offroad. Side hung float bowls is the first and formost feature because that is one feature that cant be changed on a carb. I chose 600cfm because I hear alot of guys say that they run the 470cfm on mostly stock 360s off road but complain about the top end power being simular to a 2bbl. But everyone running a 650cfm offroad wants the low end grunt back. 600cfm seems to be a healthy compromise for a good mix of street driving and trail. Adding a fuel bowl vent whistle and connecting the vent tubes with a copper tube will keep fuel in the bowls in off camber situations. the 4160 i picked up is a single feed carb with vacume secondarys just like the TA. this carb seems to be as close as I can find to having all the goodies of a TA. the ONE big difference and i know its a big one, The annular boosters in the TA still give it the advantage over my DIY idea. But if anyone else is looking for a carb to run on the trail the holley 4160 is a good place to look if you cant afford a truck avenger. thanks for reading and I hope some good info can be gleaned from this post
    88 Grand Wag:
    Razor Grille
    Rusty's 4" spring lift
    BJs HD 1" shackles
    31" M/Ts
    Holley 4160, 600cfm
    T.F.I.
    Warn Hubs
    SOLID Diff cover
    999 X-member/T-case Skid
    Rag joint delete
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

How about a Motorcraft 4100? It's an old carb, but it should have similar off-pavement characteristics to the 2100. It was used on big black Fords back in the 60s.

Or the perennial favorite - a Rochester Quadrajet, adapted to the manifold.
    Last edited by tgreese; 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• shaggywaggy88
      258 I6
      • Feb 22, 2011

Nothing against the motorcraft 4100 but the 2100 on my jeep now sucks. Ive rebuilt it and it still wont start in the morning. offroad it does pretty good. Im sticking with the holley, Ive heard of alot of tuning issued with the Qjets and id rather stay away from them for now. Holleys have tons of parts to fine tune your carb and there is alot of tuning info readily available. Pluss the truck avenger is the only carb i know of designed for off road applications. so I figure if I mirror the principles used for the TA on the most similar carb to the TA that in the end ill come out pretty close to the performance of the all mighty Truck Avenger (with $200 left over to blow as i please).
      88 Grand Wag:
      Razor Grille
      Rusty's 4" spring lift
      BJs HD 1" shackles
      31" M/Ts
      Holley 4160, 600cfm
      T.F.I.
      Warn Hubs
      SOLID Diff cover
      999 X-member/T-case Skid
      Rag joint delete

Comment

Im curious to see how it works out for ya, since you are local and all!

Comment

Working...
        X