Fuel injecting my '88 Waggy (lots o' pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steveinil
    232 I6
    • Dec 07, 2015

Very cool thanks for the info looks like it's what I'm after very nice and clean engine bay BTW

Comment

• Probesport
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2015

No problem, thanks for the compliment.
      Ken S.
      Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      Megasquirt EFI
      : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
      Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• darylb
        232 I6
        • Jan 22, 2015

If you put your O2 sensor below the heat riser couldn't that be the issue for your cold start issues? If the riser is closed, cold start, the O2 sensor is getting very little bypass to measure.
        1973 J4800 - 401- TH400 Novac Stage 2 - D20

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by darylb
          If you put your O2 sensor below the heat riser couldn't that be the issue for your cold start issues? If the riser is closed, cold start, the O2 sensor is getting very little bypass to measure.
          O2 sensor isn't in play on cold start, only after the timeout/temp settings are reached and the system goes closed loop.

Shouldn't really be an issue if fuel map is good.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Probesport
            232 I6
            • Apr 15, 2015

Also, if you scroll up youll notice my heat riser delete
            Ken S.
            Megasquirt EFI
            : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
            Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• steveinil
              232 I6
              • Dec 07, 2015

i think im going to pull the trigger on this today.... wish me luck can i drop your name to them?

Comment

• Probesport
                232 I6
                • Apr 15, 2015

I think I'm the only Wagoneer they've done or one of the few at least. Please feel free.

You will probably speak to Kevin.
                Ken S.
                Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• steveinil
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 07, 2015

got my distributor sent in yesterday hoping to have all my stuff next week sometime...

Comment

• Probesport
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 15, 2015

Revisiting my fuel injection setup.

So everything has been running and I've been driving it with no issues. I have not been able to tune anything due to my lack of knowledge with prom burning and GM ECM's. I have still had a very rich setup, especially the CSE which I really want to solve. I looked into getting programmers and chips and all of that fun but instead fast forwarded a bit and called my good friend Ryan to help me in stage 2.

The long term goal has always been that once I am satisfied and up on an EFI setup that I would pull the Megasquirt out of my Probe (track car), upgrade that to an MS3 and then put the old unit in the Jeep. Well we skipped that. Probe is running well and there is no need for the upgrade. Enticed by Ryan's stockpile of Megasquirt parts and unfathomable knowledge - we set of on the journey this past Friday.

We started Friday evening building the harness, tracing wiring, and making the schematics.

Next up was getting a port for the IAT. I wanted to put it in the base of the air cleaner but was continually over-ruled that it should be in the manifold. Which meant adding a new port for the brake booster since the manifold had a perfect spot for the IAT. Drilling and tapping the TBI adapter did the track for that.

After that was sorted we are on to testing and more wiring.

We ran into a snag with some of the MS components - since we didn't know the condition of the old parts we were using but plan on getting back on it in the next day or so.

In the meantime I cleaned up some stuff, painted some rustyness, blower, brackets, mounts, etc.

It was decided that there is no turning back now, so I will have the ECM (& pigtails), Map sensor & harness, and a few other obsoleted items that I will sell once it's all done and buttoned up. I plasn on keeping a disty for now, no immediate plans for Coil Pack or COP. I do have plans for headers and a cam next year though and being able to easily tune this now with a laptop/tablet/phone will be fantastic.
                    Last edited by Probesport; 12-05-2016, 11:00 AM.
                    Ken S.
                    Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• steveinil
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 07, 2015

man i should have waited to buy my stuff from afi but I must say I have it done and is all working very well so far only been driving it for about a week was a slow process with hunting and fall yard stuff and thanksgiving. but glad its done before the real cold and the snow...

Comment

• Probesport
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 15, 2015

The kit is still a good price to pay for admission, get everything done and working the way you want it.

I always knew I was going to Megasquirt at some point. I am also helped by being familiar with it and having a friend who is an expert. I will say it runs FANTASTICALLY well on Megasquirt - and with some tuning the GM style ECU may as well.

I am running out of gear now, I need to get a hold of another transmission next, the Waggy has no issue pulling to 90+ now and it feels like there is a lot more room. MPG has improved drastically, now I don't see the needle drop every 20 minutes

I still have to work on the cold start enrichment a little ,it was fine until we got our first snow and super low temps - my remote starter wouldn't do it this morning. Had to get in and give some throttle.

Now that I have complete control, I may throw in an electric fan next and run a line for fan control.

I will take some finished pics of the conversion to Megasquirt later. l can post up my .MSQ if anyone is interested as well.

Ken S.
                        Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2015

In the meantime, I do have these pics.

MS install location - you can;t see if from the seat, these are taken from the passenger floor area.

Finished up wiring, cleaning up harnesses.

Ken S.
                          Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 15, 2015

Here is my MSQ

For a Megasquirt II, AMC 360 with GM TBI w/61pph, no smog, using onboard MAP, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, narrowband O2, HEI.
                            Ken S.
                            Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 15, 2015

Updated MSQ, WUE much better.

Starts up with remote starter just fine again.

In other news, I have put a stock sized muffler back on. After getting all of the tuning right I just couldn't tolerate the drone - neither could my buddy Ryan who took on the bulk (all) of the tuning and some of the long drives. I am much happier, as are neighbors, kids, etc going to this big, heavy muffler and a cat versus the straight though Borla I had prior.
                              Last edited by Probesport; 01-06-2017, 06:59 AM.
                              Ken S.
                              Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Achilles
                                350 Buick
                                • May 12, 2004

What vehicle is the air cleaner housing off of.
                                Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
                                MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
                                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
                                Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

Working...
                                X