• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty1998
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2008

Still Getting Abysmal Gas Mileage

A few weeks ago, I was complaining about poor fuel economy. It's been steadily dropping off from its usual 11 - 13 mpg to now, 8 - 11 mpg. Here are the things that I know I've done to the engine recently and want to pick all of your brains to think of anything else it could be.

-I've been playing with the timing. I've found a sweet spot that the rig seems to like at 16 btdc. A little too advanced perhaps but I'm not ready to chalk this up to the reason for bad economy. I can see if the timing is too retarded but this is certainly not the case.

-I've been playing with the vac advance. It's currently set so that it begins to activate at around 6hg.

-I replaced the power valve. Mostly because I fried the old one when I pulled the dizzy to clean it. Rotated it 180* out upon reinstall. Oops.

- Now IMHO, this is the most significant change I made. I dropped the accelerator pump arm to the lowest hole to get rid of annoying tip in lag that I had. It cleared the problem up but I have a sneaky suspicion that this might be the culprit since I started noticing a decrease in economy right afterward. Only... how? Doesn't the accel pump just ensure that you've got an instant burst of fuel to shoot into the carb when you need it? Unless the check valve is leaking inside, I'm not sure how this might lead to poor economy.

-I've made adjustments to base idle and curb idle. 800 rpm and 600 rpm respectively.

-Yesterday, I adjusted my choke since I knew that wasn't working that well.

- I have noticed that there's a little bit of fuel seepage on either side of the carb where the accelerator shaft bushings are.

-Adjusted my idle mix. 2 1/4 turns out on each. Oh and if I turn them in first, the engine wants to die which tells me that the idle circuit is working the
    way it should.

- I do need a front end alignment.

- Tires are inflated to spec.

I've now been through 3 tanks of fuel since I first complained so I'm now satisfied that I have a problem.

Any ideas???
    Last edited by scotty1998; 11-02-2009, 05:29 AM.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock Everything
    AMC 360, 2-BBL Motorcraft

• grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

When you timed her, did you leave the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged off?

I'm guessing you are running the MC2150 2BBL, on both the ones I have in front of me the accelerator pump arm uses the middle hole. Are you running the factory ignition still? Also, is your emission and CTO stuff still in place and hooked up? Have you replaced the PCV valve lately? Is the vacuum steady at idle?
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• RED-85-Z51
      258 I6
      • Feb 02, 2009

How do the plugs look?
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer SOLD

1998 Ram 1500
      5.9 Magnum
      4 speed auto
      Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
      350 Tuned Port Injection
      *restoring now*

1976 Corvette L48 Stingray
      -restoring-

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
      4.5 Liter V8
      all Options

Comment

• scotty1998
        350 Buick
        • Apr 21, 2008

Vac advance removed and plugged off when timing.

I upgraded to TFI ignition about a month after I bought her.

All vacuum is hooked up and working properly (as far as I know) as indicated by the rock steady vac reading at 19 hg.

Plugs are nice and brown looking.

I agree that the accelerator pump rod is normally in the middle hole. However, I was getting some really bad accelerator lag and noticed that the cam where the rod connects to the hole is a little worn. To compensate , I shortened the pump stroke by putting into the the lowest hole. That cleared the lag up really well but now I'm suspecting that this may be contributing to my poor mileage. Is there a known way to adjust these things? Like clearance specs or something?
        1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
        Stock Everything

Comment

• scantar
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 16, 2005

Pretty sure that linkage on your accelerator pump's your gas mileage thief. Try moving it back for a few tanks to eliminate it or make it the culprit.

If you're getting a lag in acceleration it might not be that shooting more gas in is the solution but maybe it's indicating a carb rebuild or some other problem.

Steve
          '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

How long ago since your carb was rebuilt?
            Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
            Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• scotty1998
              350 Buick
              • Apr 21, 2008

Carb rebuild was about a year ago now. I've replaced the accel pump 3 times to make sure that wasn't the problem. I still may pull the carb and check all orifices to make sure there isn't a blockage or restriction.
              1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              Stock Everything

Comment

• scotty1998
                350 Buick
                • Apr 21, 2008

I'm pulling this thread out of this dead over something a friend told me last night and something I read on another site...

First, I pulled the carb and rebuilt it again. I also put the accelerator linkage back into the middle hole on the overtravel lever. No dice, I'm definitely still getting terrible mileage.

What about a leaky fuel pump? It could be leaking into the engine correct? But shouldn't the oil on my dipstick be pretty thinned out? Also, shouldn't I get a real strong odor of gas from the filler tube? There is a slight odor of gas in there but I'm having a tough time saying, yes, that's it.

The more I think about it though, the more I like the idea. This could explain several problems I've been having including hesitation at weird times, loss of power on hill (it's been timed, carb rebuilt, fuel filter's new, etc. etc. etc.)

So, I filled the gas tank the other day and have gone 40 miles. I only have about 2/3 of a tank left. The last MPG calc showed I'm getting about 7.5 mpg. This is driving me crazy.
                Last edited by scotty1998; 11-08-2009, 05:16 AM.
                1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                Stock Everything

Comment

• CommanderChaos
                  258 I6
                  • Sep 20, 2009

Here's an absolutely silly thought. Have you checked to see if your emergency brakes are engaged, partially engaged or sticking?
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer, 360/727/229, 6" Rusty's Lift, 35x12.5.15 Goodyear wrangler MT/R w/ kevlar. 4.56 Gears, Yukon Chrome Moly Front Axle Shafts, Eaton E-Locker Front and Rear, ARB Differential Covers.

Comment

• scotty1998
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 21, 2008

Not a silly thought at all but... no. They're unbound and the drums aren't the slightest bit hot after a long trip.
                    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    Stock Everything

Comment

• Asphalt Cowboy
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 07, 2009

Originally posted by scotty1998
                      Not a silly thought at all but... no. They're unbound and the drums aren't the slightest bit hot after a long trip.
                      How about your fronts? Crud built up in the lines/pistons maybe?
                      1979 Wagoneer
                      360/TH400/ Q-Trac/D44's
                      31-10.50's on Truck Rallies

1965 Gladiator (model unknown)
                      230 Tornado
                      T98, D20
                      D44 front D53 rear
                      slightly rusted, heavily neglected
                      Mouse in the defroster has
                      been evicted.

I might curse because roses have thorns,
                      Or I might rejoice because thorns have roses.

Comment

• scotty1998
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 21, 2008

New cylinders all around. It stops on a dime and I notice no pull left or right when I brake. I think I'm just going to suck it up and replace the pump. It can't hurt right? I've done everything else I can think of at this point. I even went through the rubber from the fuel sender to the hard lines and replaced that today. They definitely needed it. Soft as can be and cracked. No seepage evident though. No strong odors anywhere.
                        1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        Stock Everything

Comment

• Asphalt Cowboy
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 07, 2009

I remembered something just a moment ago,,

How's your front bearings?
                          Years ago my GF took my highboy to the shop while I was TDY to Cali. Three months later I returned only to find my mileage had dropped from the ussual 9 down to 3-4. Found that the mechanic had the bearings in the front hubs a tad to tight.
                          1979 Wagoneer
                          360/TH400/ Q-Trac/D44's
                          31-10.50's on Truck Rallies

1965 Gladiator (model unknown)
                          230 Tornado
                          T98, D20
                          D44 front D53 rear
                          slightly rusted, heavily neglected
                          Mouse in the defroster has
                          been evicted.

I might curse because roses have thorns,
                          Or I might rejoice because thorns have roses.

Comment

• aatcman
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 10, 2006

Do you have poor top end?

You could have a mostly clogged catalytic converter -- that will put a lot of extra load on the engine, resulting in using a lot of extra gas.

Just a thought -- hope it helps
                            Just my 2 Cents (Good grief!! Even my weedeater laughs at me now!! Silly gas prices!)

1986 Grand Wagoneer (225xxx)

1988 Comanche Pioneer (215xxx)

Comment

• sappy76
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 26, 2007

Any teen agers in the neighborhood?

Maybe time for a locking gas cap.

Just kidding. I'm running 9.5 mpgs myself. New 401/TH400/Quadratrac/Howell EFI. Besides being heavy on the foot I'm running too rich.

It'll be interesting when you figure it out.
                              1976 Chief
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

Comment

Working...
                              X