• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brielly
    350 Buick
    • Dec 30, 2002

Random Backfiring

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out this problem. After installing customefis muliport kit I was getting a lot of backfiring through the exhaust. John at customefis decided that a vehicle speed sensor would help resolve this problem. This seemed to work. I drove around quite a bit today with no backfiring. I stopped at the mall and when I restarted and left it back fired like crazy when letting off the gas in 3rd gear. After my next stop and restart there was no backfiring all the way home. What could cause it to backfire sometimes and then run perfectly other times?
    For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*
  • 475thFG
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 09, 2004

I've had champion plugs start going bad and do the same thing. Spent $400 on a head job (in 1982) because of it. I'd start there, 'cause it's cheap. If that doesn't do it, you might pull your O2 sensor (it does have one, right?) and heat it up with a torch and make sure it's working. Other than that, I simply don't have a clue.
    81 Cherokee, 360 auto

88 GW, 360 auto, perfect body and now running.

88 Comanche, 6 banger, auto w/overdrive (I'd really like to get rid of this stupid thing...I can't stand it)

(UPDATE: Chanting "I got my glaaaassss, I got my glaaaasss")

Comment

Working...
    X