X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

To answer you both. It is graphite impregnated paint. Dry lube would be like the tube of powder correct? This stuff sprays or brushes on properly prepared metal and dries like a paint film. It won't attract dirt and gets more slick with use. My only concern is the very small contact pattern on the shank of the lift arm stud and the slotted path of the bottom of the window. Will it shear through the film I wonder? Lots of pressure in a small area there. I am still going to give it a try and later if a door panel needs to get removed for a dab of grease, well not a big deal. I plan on putting it on the leaf springs on the 71 J4000 I want to get running this summer. It survives very well in that use.

The wife is in Alaska for a funeral. I am staying up late and leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
    Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• toddthewelder
      258 I6
      • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
      The wife is in Alaska for a funeral. I am staying up late and leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
      You rebel
      80 cj 5
      87 GW
      Another 87 GW
      88 GW
      99 Wrangler
      07 Dodge 3500
      67 Chevy SWB
      2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Yeah I know... I have only managed to fill one side of the sink so far. I pick her up tomorrow so I guess that will have to do.

So an interesting day. I had the samples finally show up for the tailgate panels from a USA company today. It is the same stuff I have been ordering from Europe but it is better looking. Unfortunately I just ordered another batch from across the pond. So I will have to ebay them or something. I sent out messages to all you guys about it. They roll more material at the start of May. They do it once a month and I just missed it. I placed an order for some. It is not much cheaper but it sure looks better. The UK stuff has a subtle grain to it. The USA stuff has a more crisp shine. It is getting better all the time.

The UK stuff is in the foreground.

They sent a cool assortment of pattern samples. This is cool.

So I rebuilt the entire wire harness in the tailgate. I had some damaged terminals. I replaced the shell and crimped and soldered new terminals on. I used a dremel with a mini wire wheel on every single terminal and got them to shine. I want everything to work and work well.
        This is the door safety switch. Jumpered with a piece of 1/8 copper tube.
        This circuit is a ground for the motor. It opens the circuit when the gate is opened not allowing the window to move.

And the motor I took apart and cleaned up. I peeled off all the rubber back when I took it apart. Well I painted liquid electrical tape on it to reseal it up for wet use. Kind of blurry.

I put a NOS gate switch in also. A good ebay find there.

I completely disassembled the worm gear drive. It will get new grease after a good cleaning.

That little ball bearing got away from me. I heard it drop in the solvent tank. I did not see it. I found it in the bottom of my strainer. That was frustrating not knowing exactly what I was looking for. That bearing goes between the worm gear shaft and the metal slug there for reduced friction.

I stripped apart the transmission shifter linkage and got it all spotless. But before I took it apart I put a punch mark in it and took a measurement to help me land the shift part in the exact same spot.

I straightened the trans cooling lines and cleaned them right up. I had to make SS spacers for the oil pan bolts that the lines attach to. I did not photograph this but probably should have. They look nice and straight now. They were bent to heck.

I worked all day then stacked a half cord of firewood. It feels like slow going. But every bit helps. It is time to get both black and green paint on some stuff. The parts are piling up waiting. I want to put the carpet in. That will be cool. Not yet ....
        Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 04-14-2018, 07:13 PM.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
          327 Rambler
          • Dec 04, 2016

Hurry up AL. Rumor has it that it's going to start snowing soon.
          1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
          Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
            Hurry up AL. Rumor has it that it's going to start snowing soon.
            I knew you were a trouble maker when I met you.

I can see the front yard now. It was supposed to snow three inches here last night. It didn't. What a late thaw.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Well I have been having my own private tailgate party here. Everything except the glass is in the gate. Because I can't leave stuff alone. this is the lift arm stud and it has a worn spot in the full up position. I put a bit of metal back and got it round again.

A few minutes later. I used a Tig welder followed by a blast of cooling air. I did not want to take the spring tension out of the wave washer behind the backing washer. Had to do this to both of the arms.

And after getting the whole assembly painted I put the experimental slip plate on the stud for reduced friction. It comes off easy until it dries then it is stuck on tight. With use it will polish itself against another part coated with it also. I did the slots too.

This is what the can looks like.

Rebuilding the window. I had to dig through all the back windows I had to find one that was not ruined by scratches. On the bottom, The little metal ear was broken off that holds the wrap around SS trim on the edge of the glass. Again using the Tig welder I found a piece of metal that was the right thickness and made a new one. The factory had spot welded the part on crooked. I had to offset it to be in line with the window.

Cleaning up and painting the lower part with silver rust bullet paint. This will preserve it for the rest of the life of the rig.

Then the slip plate on the slots. I have to let this dry overnight. Or it would be in by now.

On rebuilding the worm gear motor lift assembly. The little ball bearing is not shown in the factory parts manual. Not sure why. When putting it all back together with new grease, the metal puck that goes in the bore first will not seat easily against the bottom. You have to coax it in with a wire or a small screw driver all the way down. It jacks sideways and won't let the motor bolt up. Don't put a lot of grease in the bore for this. Then goes the bearing, then the worm shaft. Put the brass gear in a bed of grease then put the dust cover back on. Lots of grease is OK here. Worm gears are self braking. That is why you can't budge the glass when the motor is not working. Worn bushings or misalignment of the bushing plate will make the motor strain big time. Here are the parts again so you know what I am referring to. Only a tiny bit of grease on these when they go in the bore.

If you have a lift mechanism with trashed bushings, it can be rebuilt by making new ones. The drive gear should not rock much at all in them.
              Here are the dimensions for anyone who wants to tighten up their lift assembly. Any machinist can make these in no time. Mine were fine so no lathe time for me. For correct worm gear shaft end play adjustment, install the motor and coupling. Then adjust the threaded shaft and jam nut till you can just feel the motor coupling shift back and forth on both shafts. Not much, just barely perceivable is good. Do this with the motor and gearbox OFF the lift assembly. The arm tension won't let you feel that minor movement of the coupling I am referring to. Once you just start to feel the coupling be able to be moved, tighten down the jam nut and you are done. This one I cleaned up was out of adjustment. You don't want the worm shaft walking back and forth. If the motor does not screw down correctly the worm shaft needs adjustment away from the motor end. Don't pack grease down in the end of the worm shaft bore where the metal puck and bearing go. It won't compress and will give you a false adjustment. Just a dab to hold it all in. Anyway, here are bushing dimensions.

The lift arm spring loaded assembly is like a giant mouse trap. It is difficult to load the arms down and bolt up the worm gear and motor assembly. You absolutely must sight down on the drive gear and make sure it is perfectly aligned. That bushing plate is slotted and the tension on the arms will cause the gear to get bolted up very crooked. This will trash the bushings and wear the teeth super fast. I guarantee this will be way crooked unless you specifically check it. So look down here and make sure it is in good alignment.
              I will put grease on the teeth before the window goes in. I did not want it getting on everything.

I got all of it installed and secured the wire harness. Window guides are in and all that is left is the glass. It is nice and clean. For now....

The grounds got cleaned to bare metal, coated with dielectric grease, secured and coated with liquid electrical tape goo. Hopefully no corrosion for a good long time. Tomorrow I put the glass in with help from my wife. Then on to the four doors.

More as soon as I can shine it up.
              Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 04-14-2018, 07:16 PM.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• toddthewelder
                258 I6
                • Dec 30, 2010

Ok now I'm really nervous about rebuilding my tailgate
                80 cj 5
                87 GW
                Another 87 GW
                88 GW
                99 Wrangler
                07 Dodge 3500
                67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by toddthewelder
                  Ok now I'm really nervous about rebuilding my tailgate
                  You have a different animal with a later model. Now you can post up a how to.
                  Just put on your welding helmet, turn down the lights and close one eye. You will be fine.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Check this out. Two 73's in CL in the area. Both super nice and priced up there.
                    I might have to put this color scheme on my 71 I was hoping to get going.
                    What a great looking truck.

Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• toddthewelder
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                      You have a different animal with a later model. Now you can post up a how to.
                      Just put on your welding helmet, turn down the lights and close one eye. You will be fine.
                      I may have just as much luck with the hood on and the lights low. That truck is nice, but it's been used a bit hard for that price, maybe you can talk them down a couple grand
                      80 cj 5
                      87 GW
                      Another 87 GW
                      88 GW
                      99 Wrangler
                      07 Dodge 3500
                      67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

I think I had better not bring any more home. I am exceeding the I can get all that done in this lifetime quota. Plus the wife warned me about leaving town and coming home to another rig in the yard. I got away with that twice now. I think I need an intervention.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• CameraFinn
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 15, 2015

That is a very pretty truck. It's a good paint combo.
                          You make me glad that trucks don't have tailgates. The windows seem complicated enough.
                          You'll have to tell us if there was any single piece that you never touched. Seems like there won't be.
                          Keep up the awesome work.
                          Finn

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970 Wagoneer Project (Dad's)
                          1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles
                          1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

I will have to look for something that is not corroded to put back on. Just to say I did.
                            Currently trying to fix the wifes Subaru. The brakes are seized up solid from the road silt and salt. I do this every spring with her car. And it has been snowing all morning. I think Frank has arranged a joke somehow.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                              304 AMC
                              • May 01, 2004

If it makes you feel any better, it snowed all day up here in the Poconos. April 17th and this crap is getting old! I trailered my YJ mutt up here with hopes of doing a few things to it in the evenings, but it is just too cold and wet. Sure wish i was in my garage back in VA..
                              One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                              http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                              95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                              50 CJ3A
                              77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

65 today. The snow is melting fast. I loaded the horrible freight soda blaster and got all 6 door latches clean after a long cleaning in the solvent tank. Sprayed with carb cleaner then a thorough soaking with naptha. I used soda since it will come out of the lock assemblies easier than glass bead or sand. It also dissolves when wet so it worked great. I also drilled out a board and blasted 30+ screws for the doors. They all needed to be green. I got the booth cleaned out and went for it.

The slow process of loading soda in the blaster. I don't use this much. It is messy and has it's place. It actually worked well for what I was doing.

While I was at it outside I grabbed the radiator and found it cleans the now straight fins really well. I had a ton of green copper corrosion on most of the fins. The soda took it all off without any damage to the fins. The best way to straighten radiator fins is a straight O-ring pick. I had a fin comb and the o-ring pick works way better. There were some pretty funky repairs done to this upper tank. As long as it holds coolant.

Everything that needed to be done for putting the door guts in got cleaned and made green today. Plus the tailgate hinge covers, and the rear window surround. I did a big collection of door latch shims too. I painted enough to make the shims you could see green, but silver shims under the top one did not look right. Now they are all green.

Tedious work but good progress today.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X