• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevincdoyle
    232 I6
    • Jan 27, 2011

Originally posted by mdcptman
    I bet if they "wooda" tested it with the later year's faux wood vinyl impact absorbing materials the test result "wooda" been mighty different...

just saying'
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer $26,639.00
    Pearl White on Sand
    CA emissions $266.00
    Towing Pkg B $217.00
    Auxiliary Auto trans oil cooler $67.00
    3:31 rear axle $42.00
    Conventional spare $93.00
    $27,234.00
    $645.00 destination charge
    $27,969.00

Comment

• mdcptman
      Jeep Therapist
      • Apr 09, 2010

Originally posted by kevincdoyle
      I bet if they "wooda" tested it with the later year's faux wood vinyl impact absorbing materials the test result "wooda" been mighty different...

just saying'

So THAT'S What the Woodgrain is for!
      Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      88 Grand Wagoneer
      360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
      Edelbrock 2131
      Holley 600
      Hydroboost
      Hedman headers
      Dual exhaust
      MSD6A, TFI
      Digital Gauges
      Rusty's 2" Lift
      31x10.5 15LT15s
      Quote From Friend's Mom:
      "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• cherokee83
        258 I6
        • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by Ghinmi
        New vehicles are designed to sacrifice themselves to protect the occupants. Old vehicles (our Jeeps included) are death machines in comparison.

Thanks for bringing up that thread, Ristow. I'm still waiting to hear about the secret stock 800 hp pump gas Buick.

Comment

• cherokee83
          258 I6
          • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by Ristow
          you were pretty surprised here.

I just read this on Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/01/jeep-team-takes-a-field-trip-to-wagonmaster-researching-next-gr/ A team of Jeep execs and product planners visited Leon's shop to view his stable and discuss ideas for the (possibly) upcoming Grand Wagoneer. I know Jeep has talked about bringing one back to the

you seemed to think these flimsy pos's werethe toughest/safest thing on 4 wheels. the whole car is a crush zone in an FSJ.

furthermore...to suggest newer cars are more dangerous than older cars is ignorant. in this era of instant information it's willful ignorance even. the cabin remains intact on well engineered modern vehicles. the crush zone is outside the cabin. look at the wagoneer's cabin. who'd want to be in that pos during that crash? you?

good grief.
          The Frame Horn on any Full Frame SUV/Jeep/Van/Truck from 1960 can withstand a head on collision of 35MPR with that being said you can repair damage of the 35MPH Head on Collision,, Had this been a Truck/SUV/Van/Jeep/ect from 1985 to 2014 in a head on collision at 35mph the vehicle would be totaled unrepairable,,, we have more auto deaths today then we had in the past,, Hell more then half of us would not be hear today,, if the older cars had been so unsafe,,, like the cars of today,,, Not only that but air bags kill kids all the time,, if you ignite AirBags! they can lift a full frame car off the ground,,food for thought next time you fill safe behind the wheel of a airbag,, Question why would you fill safe in a car built to fold in around you the driver and the passenger,,,

Comment

• grand_wag_85
            Murphy's Law Poster Child
            • Dec 03, 2003

I've been in a significant accident in a '79 FSJ Cherokee and happened to walk away without a scratch. I was wearing my seatbelt and the Jeep had an aftermarket roll cage which probably in itself saved me more than anything else.

Both doors were buckled shut and the roof more or less conformed to the roll cage. Without that roll cage it's possible I could have gotten pretty banged up or trapped inside.

I've been on this site 10yrs or so and have seen quite a few FSJ wrecks and the common theme with the big wrecks seems to be the doors buckling and the roof getting squashed.

To the best of my knowledge there's only been one FSJ wreck (on this site) that left the member with significant injuries(broken arm, not wearing seat belt) I've yet to hear of any fatalities but that's not to say it hasn't happened. There was a TV show awhile back (think late 80's) highlighted the tale of a young girl who got in a head-on in a Cherokee Chief that she became trapped in and it caught fire...Can't remember the name of the show.

I'm not trying to say that FSJ's aren't safe but they're definitely not indestructible tanks.
            You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
            '88 GW
            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• sld
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 04, 2006

Man, I would have liked to have had those seats and I really like that color combination too. Would have thought that these rigs were like a tank.
              1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

The Frame Horn on any Full Frame SUV/Jeep/Van/Truck from 1960 can withstand a head on collision of 35MPR
                LOL!! duh....the video above was 30mph. good grief.

Originally posted by cherokee83
                Question why would you fill safe in a car built to fold in around you the driver and the passenger,,,
                you really don't know what you're talking about. at all. you just talk. and it hard to understand what yoiu say because it's all muffled from your head stuck in the sand.

i bet you're one of these guys that thinks you can stop better in your old pos jeep vs the new car with full antilock brakes too. "....why would anyone design a safe car with brakes that won't lockup....."

you want a car that fold into the passenger compartment? buy an FSJ.ask them why they build a car that folds into the passenger compartment. look at the evidence. lol!

i'll take unibody anyday. far more rigid and safe.
                Last edited by Ristow; 12-23-2013, 03:47 AM.
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• ProTouring442
                  327 Rambler
                  • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by DanHS
                  Also the shoulder belts didn't do a thing, I never messed around with them much but I wonder if they broke inside? The inertia lock is simple and seems to function well, but of course I've never applied that kind of force to one.
                  The old "rule of thumb" was that, when adjusted, you should be able to put your fist between the seatbelt and your chest.
                  You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• ProTouring442
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 15, 2011

The Frame Horn on any Full Frame SUV/Jeep/Van/Truck from 1960 can withstand a head on collision of 35MPR with that being said you can repair damage of the 35MPH Head on Collision,, Had this been a Truck/SUV/Van/Jeep/ect from 1985 to 2014 in a head on collision at 35mph the vehicle would be totaled unrepairable,,, we have more auto deaths today then we had in the past,, Hell more then half of us would not be hear today,, if the older cars had been so unsafe,,, like the cars of today,,, Not only that but air bags kill kids all the time,, if you ignite AirBags! they can lift a full frame car off the ground,,food for thought next time you fill safe behind the wheel of a airbag,, Question why would you fill safe in a car built to fold in around you the driver and the passenger,,,
                    Because it's all about the energy and where it goes. It can go into the sheet metal "built to fold in around you the driver and the passenger," or it can be transferred the occupants of the vehicle in one of two ways.

The first way it can be transferred to the occupants of the vehicle is when the car simply collapses to the point that lots of hard objects make contact with the occupants. This is what usually happens in an old car. One piece steering shafts spear the driver. Metal dash boards come up and smack the passenger in the face. The front seat slams both the driver and passenger into everything located in front of them. The A-pillars collapse as the cowl is pushed rearward, slamming the roof down onto the occupants.

The second way is what happens in when an over-engineered race car is driven on the street. Extremely strong structures that do not crumple transfer nearly all the energy to the occupants. It's the difference between having someone smack you in the face with the old 4" thick dictionary you used to have, and having someone smack you in the face with that same dictionary, but with a piece of 4" thick foam rubber between you and the hard cover of the book. In the first instance, all of the energy is transferred directly to your face. In the second, much of it is absorbed by crushing of the foam.

The results of this may shock you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0
                    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

That Jeep is not repairable. Look at how the frame buckled in the center.

Modern cars have an extremely strong unit body around the passenger compartment to resist crumpling, but the areas around it are weak and crushable. The idea is the area around the passenger compartment will crush to lengthen the time of impact and reduce the impulse to the passengers.

An old truck like a Wagoneer, which dates back to the early 1960's in it's design, has a very weak body structure that crumples with ease. The only thing rigid about FSJ construction is the frame, which as we can see, is not very rigid when it comes fo the kind of forces a crash produces.

Take a modern unit body Jeep and flex the suspension on a ramp or something. The doors will all shut perfectly. Drive a Wagoneer up that ramp and nothing will line up.
                      Last edited by FSJunkie; 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• cherokee83
                        258 I6
                        • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by Ristow
                        LOL!! duh....the video above was 30mph. good grief. you my friend are funny,,, you believe anything you see,,so so

you really don't know what you're talking about. at all. you just talk. and it hard to understand what yoiu say because it's all muffled from your head stuck in the sand.

i bet you're one of these guys that thinks you can stop better in your old pos jeep vs the new car with full antilock brakes too. "....why would anyone design a safe car with brakes that won't lockup....."

NO

you want a car that fold into the passenger compartment? buy an FSJ.ask them why they build a car that folds into the passenger compartment. look at the evidence. lol! NO Unibody Cars/Suv/Trucks/Jeeps 1985/2014 fold in on you Sir!! let me guess you was first in line to buy a Yugo

i'll take unibody anyday. far more rigid and safe.
                        do you sir

Comment

• cherokee83
                          258 I6
                          • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                          That Jeep is not repairable. Look at how the frame buckled in the center. if frame is not soft you can pull a 60 degree angle out of a bent frame

Modern cars have an extremely strong unit body around the passenger compartment to resist crumpling, but the areas around it are weak and crushable. The idea is the area around the passenger compartment will crush to lengthen the time of impact and reduce the impulse to the passengers. There is no such thing as a strong unibody!!! all unibody cars was designed to fold in around the driver and passenger,,not safe for man or women or child,,

An old truck like a Wagoneer, which dates back to the early 1960's in it's design, has a very weak body structure that crumples with ease. The only thing rigid about FSJ construction is the frame, which as we can see, is not very rigid when it comes fo the kind of forces a crash produces. FSJ have no weak points other than old age!!

Take a modern unit body Jeep and flex the suspension on a ramp or something. The doors will all shut perfectly. Drive a Wagoneer up that ramp and nothing will line up. This is very True!! if you have a Soft Frame!!if you put large wheels and tires the doors will not open and close right!! why soft frame!!
                          just saying

Comment

• cherokee83
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 12, 2006

so answer me this!! I can put Hydraulics on a full frame car/suv/van/truck/ect and bounces it 10 feet off the ground!!! without reinforcement of the frame!! not only that I can open and close the door just fine!!! let me put Hydraulics on a unibody and bounces the car 3 feet off ground and all body panles that bolt on become unlined!! I have bounced a 2013 caddy 8 feet off the ground onces and the engine hit the ground before the car the car folded down the middle but hey who am I to say that you can take a vehicle from the 50's with a good rust free frame put Hydraulics on it and beat the day lights out of it and doors open and close ect. and that's without boxing the frame

Comment

• cherokee83
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 12, 2006

Hey say what you like GM has lost it and lost it in a big way!! we don't have American mad cars we have kit cars all parts being shipped from over seas!! what car from 1985/2014 can you pass down to your son and you son pass down to his son Not one!! name one car you can fix without a computer,,

Comment

• ProTouring442
                                327 Rambler
                                • Mar 15, 2011

Hey say what you like GM has lost it and lost it in a big way!! we don't have American mad cars we have kit cars all parts being shipped from over seas!! what car from 1985/2014 can you pass down to your son and you son pass down to his son Not one!! name one car you can fix without a computer,,
                                Of course a modern car needs a computer to repair, computer controls are what has made the modern car what it is. Name a car made before the advent of computer controls that was powered by a 300hp V6 that got 30-plus MPG, and protected all of its occupants in a crash like a modern car?

Will this make the car more difficult to "pass down" to your children? Sure. But car manufacturers aren't in the business of building heirlooms, they are in the business of making vehicles that people drive for a few hundred thousand miles, meet current pollution and crash standards, and provide a good level of comfort and convenience for the driver and passengers.

As for the cars of the 50s, 60s and 70s, if you think these were designed and built to be heirlooms, you sir are deluding yourself. The fit and finish of a car from these decades is atrocious compared to a modern vehicle. That they are restorable by the mechanically inclined is nothing more than an accidental byproduct of the simple technology of their manufacture. That the modern car may not be restorable is a byproduct of the consumer's demand for more and more luxurious vehicles, compounded by the need for efficient manufacture and the need to keep weight as low as is possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X