• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmlint
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 10, 2011

Rear Door Window Install Nightmare

I took my driver and passenger rear doors apart to replace the divider seal and window channels on GW.
    All good up to install. How in the (Blank) am I to get the window into both the channel and divider seal? Front doors much easier than the back doors. The rear fixed window does not rotate enough to get the window in. Any help, secrets, GW master knowledge will be greatly appreciated!
    Todd Lint

1987 Grand Wagoneer
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

If you go to my build thread (78 Wagoneer, building a driver) on page 48, post 958, I talk about how I did mine. If you are using a new lower gasket for the small window, I soaped it down and pushed it down into the door. then you can get enough angle to get the big glass in.
    If you are reusing that lower gasket that holds the small glass in place, Kaiser Jeep left it out, used tape to hold the glass in place. Once the big glass was installed, he was able to slide the old gasket back in. His gasket was to hard to pass threw the inner and outer door skin. My new gasket was flexible enough to be pushed into the door with soapy water as a lubricate. hope this helps.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

This is what I wrote on page 48, post, 958. Good luck.

Thanks Al! Wanted to let you know, I tried to install them like you did with the bottom gasket out. I could not make it work, it was to tight with the new gaskets. (I think you reused the old gaskets on Saide) I put it back together and pushed the lower gasket past the inner and outer door skins. Then once the top of the glass is past the upper door channel, you can push the lower gasket back up where it belongs. Pretty much like the TSM says to do. You talk about a handful trying to handle a wet and soapy piece of glass. Thanks again, Darin.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• tmlint
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 10, 2011

Thanks for you help! I was able to get it by putting the glass in the door first then putting the rear fixed vent window in second. Crazy how these rear doors go together.
        Todd Lint

1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
        X