• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluehwy
    258 I6
    • Apr 28, 2014

Guru Help on Fenders

I have a '79 Wag that is in the body shop. Only thing holding up progress are the two front fenders. Can't get a fender patch anywhere. Been looking at used Jeeps. Are the fitments for mine '71 to '83? I found an '88 and am trying to figure out if they are a match.

Been searching throughout the forums but am not finding that info. Thank you for your help!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

• babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Outer sheetmetal is all ~same through entire run.
    difference is how many and where holes for trim are.
    70's rigs have line of holes for stainless trim
    '84-'91 have crapload holes for woodgrain.
    for example my 1988 has 1965 fenders on it.

I have a lower rear section of a passenger fender and a possibly a driver fender if you're after lower rear patch panels?
    Cannot remember if I still have driver fender laying around?
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 80Limited
      232 I6
      • Feb 19, 2015

Bjs has patch panels but they are spendy.

If not I have 4 fenders I was going to piece together to make 1 good set. Let me know. 1 set from a 76 the other from an 80.

Comment

Some years had wrap around marker/turn signals, so more/bigger openings by the headlight. Want to say around late 60's egg crate grilles.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• bluehwy
          258 I6
          • Apr 28, 2014

@babywag Thanks! All body work is complete except for front fenders. Picked up an '89 Waggy today.

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• bluehwy
            258 I6
            • Apr 28, 2014

Awesome! I ordered them from BJ's in January but... Fauci's buddy got loose. I'll hit you up in the next couple of days. Have to go by the body shop and snap pictures of exactly where they need to be cut. If you're willing maybe you can cut just those spots and keep the rest.

Originally posted by 80Limited
            Bjs has patch panels but they are spendy.

If not I have 4 fenders I was going to piece together to make 1 good set. Let me know. 1 set from a 76 the other from an 80.

Comment

• bluehwy
              258 I6
              • Apr 28, 2014

So picked up an '88 today and it's in such good shape I don't want to start hacking it (and wasn't sure they'd fit my '79).

Originally posted by goldhammer
              Some years had wrap around marker/turn signals, so more/bigger openings by the headlight. Want to say around late 60's egg crate grilles.

Comment

• bluehwy
                258 I6
                • Apr 28, 2014

I think that's the exact portion I need. If you're willing to part. Need to verify with body shop. Not sure it they were able to fix the inner wheel wheels either. Seemed like they were pretty bad where they connected to the fenders but the guy that was doing that work quit the body shop. You and goldhammer are awesome! Thank you!

Originally posted by babywag
                Outer sheetmetal is all ~same through entire run.
                difference is how many and where holes for trim are.
                70's rigs have line of holes for stainless trim
                '84-'91 have crapload holes for woodgrain.
                for example my 1988 has 1965 fenders on it.

I have a lower rear section of a passenger fender and a possibly a driver fender if you're after lower rear patch panels?
                Cannot remember if I still have driver fender laying around?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

I saved it just for someone who needs a patch.
                  Solid SoCal original fender just some surface rust.
                  Shoot me a PM with your cell# if want a txt with pics.
                  or email address and I can send that way as well.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by goldhammer
                    It's the "cheese grater" grilles that have a big hole in the leading edge of the fender, IIRC. '70-73 Wagoneers.

All the others should be ok if you can patch and move the little holes for trim to match your originals.

Try car-part.com
                    There's also this place https://montanaoverland.com/contact-us.html which may be within driving distance of you.
                    Last edited by tgreese; 06-10-2021, 09:23 AM.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• bluehwy
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 28, 2014

Thank you! I will look all of that up. My fenders are in super great shape except for just one (the same on each side) spot. Almost hard to even tell I needed any work at all. Especially $325 to $475 per fender!!! Insane!

Originally posted by tgreese
                      It's the "cheese grater" grilles that have a big hole in the leading edge of the fender, IIRC. '70-73 Wagoneers.

All the others should be ok if you can patch and move the little holes for trim to match your originals.

Try car-part.com
                      There's also this place https://montanaoverland.com/contact-us.html which may be within driving distance of you.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Tim.
                        Art
                        ASE Master Collision Tech
                        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• bluehwy
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 28, 2014

Originally posted by babywag
                          I saved it just for someone who needs a patch.
                          Solid SoCal original fender just some surface rust.
                          Shoot me a PM with your cell# if want a txt with pics.
                          or email address and I can send that way as well.
                          Thanks again babywag!

[IMG]Unknown-17 by Chad O'Malley, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• bluehwy
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2014

[IMG]Unknown-16 by Chad O'Malley, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• bluehwy
                              258 I6
                              • Apr 28, 2014

[IMG]Unknown-3 by Chad O'Malley, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X