• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirk
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2012

Kirks '87 Grand Waggy - Slow Build

Hi, I'm Kirk. That being said, the screen name Kirk wasn't available. (Edit:Thanks to Tad, im Kirk!) Pleestameetcha.

My buddy knows I was looking for a Wagoneer project, and has been helping me locate one. He found one during his many travels doing hotshotting, and let me know the woman was eager for her husband to be done with it. (apparently he has no vote? dunno.) So he sends me pics, and I decide to take cash and take a look. Even better is, he was gonna be 19 miles north of the location with an empty trailer this morning anyway. Sounds great, lets go. I hop outta bed super early, cause its a long ride, and hit the road. I meet him 3 hours north of me in a pretty durn remote area. Remote like banjos and meth lab remote. Did I mention the streets not paved? Anywhoo, he calls the woman, and she comes meets us at the head of the road. 3.7 miles later, we pull up at the house. She directs us to the back yard and:

Wait. Two? Did they multiply? My buddy seems as astonished as I did. She says the one on the right is a parts car that if I'm interested in, we can work into the price of the one on the left. So I have the potiential to go from owning no Jeeps, to two jeeps in one swoop? Well if its anything like Volkswagens, you can always use spares, so maybe. I take a look at the '87 on the left. Some superfical body damage in the rear corners, front corner, some small swipes, etc. Looks to have been repainted once. I ask her why its parked, and she states that they drove it to meet their son at the airport an hour and a half away, it quit, and wouldnt restart. They had it towed home and began to trouble shoot it. By trouble shoot, she went on to say, they bought and installed the following:
    *Alternator
    *Starter
    *Fuel Pump
    *Fuel Filter
    *Air Filter
    *Belts
    *Battery
    *Ignition Switch
    *Coil
    And still couldnt get it to start. They then had it looked at by a mechanic, who assumed it was electrical, and told them he would "diagnose it" for $35 an hour. They declined his offer, and brought it home. It had been sitting a month before I came across it. They said they were tired of dealing with it, needed a reliable second car, and it was for sale. Well alrighty!

The parts FSJ was just that, for parts. Pre break down, they swapped its seats over, (better shape) and were swapping the door panels over as well as other small parts as needed when the primary broke down. Now they decided they wanted both gone. First pics up? Parts FSJ.

She claimed they bought it unrunning, and knew nothing of its running history. It has nearly new tires under it.
    Last edited by Kirk; 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM.
    '87 GW
  • Kirk
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2012

The previous daily driver:

It has nearly new tires on the rear, and decent tires on the front.

So we haggled around a bit, and I bought the one I came after. Seemed like a solid project, was running (werent they all?!) now not, lots of new parts, very little rust. Im in.

'87 GW

Comment

• Kirk
      232 I6
      • Oct 01, 2012

That left the little old parts wagon.

It looks cleaner than the one I bought, but its really not, its not got a title, and no keys and has been picked on already. She was fairly insistent, so in the sake of all thats awesome, I bought it too. I couldnt fit it on my trailer, Ill have to go back for it, but hell, why not? Ill take what I need, and pass the wheels/tires/engine/trans/axles/ect off to someone else. So if someone could be so kind as to tell me what stuff to pull before I share the carcass with the vultures, I would appreciate it. I was thinking the rest of the interior parts I need, maybe power window motors or switches or something? Guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it. Yes Constant Reader, I now own two jeeps.

Engine shots:
      Coolant puddled in these two shots:

Overall - i know its hard, but point out any glaring bad things you see.

'87 GW

Comment

• Kirk
        232 I6
        • Oct 01, 2012

Next chapter - "Someone threatens to kill Kirk" and "They say it wont run, but WILL IT?!?" (cue dramatic music)
        '87 GW

Comment

• Kirk
          232 I6
          • Oct 01, 2012

So we get to the bottom of the hill, and apparently in our haste to escape we missed a stop sign partially obscured by a tree, and blew right through it. I know this because when I got to the bottom of the 3.7 mile white rock hill, to figure out where we were going after, an elderly man in a mini van, wearing an oxygen tank and a "Veterans of Korea" ball cap advised me that if I ran that stop sign again, he would shoot my "butt" till I died. Being that im not rude to the elderly or veterans, I apologized. He repeated himself again, letting me know, my "butt, would be shot dead". Again, I thanked him for his service.

The trip back was very uneventful.

Got it back to my buddies house, and off the trailer. Checked the fluids. Its leaking oil badly, as the entire bottom of the motors covered, as is the crossmember. Im thinking it may need a rear main seal. Dunno. Oil level and coolant level is fine. Battery is dead however. Imma try and start this two ton turd.

(not me pictured)

Okay so its getting no spark (Score one for Stuka) and, its got this super odd looking thing on the left fender firewall. Can anyone tell me about it? I have a feeling some of my problems are gonna lie here.

Because I get power to one side of it. So I jumped it. Just cause, ya know, cause. And..... (iphone video)

http://youtu.be/PRu-3sJ6_1s -- pretty crummy, viewer beware.

Ha! Im half way there(ish). Still has a coolant leak, an oil leak, and wont start from the key! Okay. Maybe, uhm. 22% there.
          Its resting comfortably at my buddies house until I can work on it more. I have a VW in need of immediate time and when its running, the Wagoneer moves up a notch.

I welcome your thoughts, comments, and concerns.
          Last edited by Kirk; 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM.
          '87 GW

Comment

• Jeepfisher
            232 I6
            • Oct 13, 2012

Looks like fun

I cannot help you with the electrical problems as my assistance would probably put you in harms way. I however enjoy the fact that you are a VW / Jeep person. I personally have 2 jeeps (GW and Scrambler) and 4 VW's in our family.

I will also be keeping a keen eye on your progress. I also have a request for some parts off the parts rig if they are in good shape. Primarily the front grill and insert as mine are kind of jacked. If you do get a chance to put some interior photos or list together of other parts, I might be able to help you recoup some of your costs as well.

Good Luck.
            Jeepfisher
            2014 Jeep JK
            1990 Jeep GW (Darwood)
            1981 CJ8 Scrambler

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Welcome to the addiction.
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Strode
                1st Chair, Cowbell
                • Nov 08, 2011

Very nice, you did good. It looks like a great start. Definitely get the 2nd one, especially since it looks like you've got the room to store it for awhile. You'll sell many parts off of it.

Keep posting
                Brad
                (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Coryd55
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 23, 2010

If you jumped the starter relay and it fired, I would do three things:

1. Check your grounds related to your starter switch and relay circuit. This is a really common problem that the ground for the relay/switch is bad.
                  2. Sometimes there can be a mechanical hang up (not likely, but easy to 'check') inside the relay. Just take it off and smack it a few times. If there is something hung up, this should release it. I wouldn't bank on this one, but it can't hurt to try.
                  3. If it still won't start, replace the starter relay (also known as starter solenoid). These are readily available at your standard McParts store. Just go in and ask for a starter relay/solenoid for whatever year Grand Wagoneer with 5.9L engine.

I would also suggest investing in a Chilton and/or Haynes manual for FSJs. They have some very useful wiring diagrams, assemblies, troubleshooting techniques, etc. in them.

Also, www.oljeep.com has full wiring diagrams for many years. Anytime you run into electrical problems, it is a good idea to trace circuits and check for obvious problems. Most things are self-explanatory, but if you run into something you can't handle then just post in the tech forum.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of FSJs.
                  1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• Lindel
                    Perfesser of Jeepology
                    • Jun 15, 2000

I've seen that one before!!

Glad you made it over.

If you're close to Dallas, maybe we could get together in March. I'm planning on making a trip down then.
                    Jeep Grounds
                    RRV Homepage
                    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                    1987 Grand Wagoneer
                    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                    1999 Wrangler Sport
                    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• suttonlive
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 01, 2009

Sweet!!

Good to see one get a second/third chance at being something other than a lawn ornament. Where specifically are you in North Texas? There seems to be a growing group of FSJ people in the area. I'm in Texarkana and have a 90 model and an 88 of the late model jeeps.

Good luck!!
                      Suttonlive
                      '90 Grand Wagoneer - Nice DD
                      '78 Cherokee Chief - 35" 6" Lift 401, QT, T400 (Clean and Driving Weekly still in the improvement process)
                      '76 Wagoneer Stock 360, t400 (Motor pulled. Will rise again)
                      '68 Gladiator 327, 4-speed, survivor
                      '64 J-200 "FlatTop"Next project. Resto-Mod that me and my daughter work on.
                      '79 Cherokee - Donor

Comment

• Keebler
                        327 Rambler
                        • Oct 13, 2004

Good to see another Texan! Looks like a very promising rig!
                        --Christopher Thomas--
                        2002 Corolla

Past Vehicles:
                        Wagoneers:'85,'83,'82,'81,'80,'79,'76,'75
                        '00 Cherokee
                        '04,'05 Honda Civic
                        '04 Wrangler
                        99 F250 PSD
                        98, 02 Jetta TDI
                        99 Passat Wagon
                        79 Rabbit C
                        78,85 Scirocco
                        81,84 Cabriolet
                        86 Golf
                        91 Corrado
                        85 300SD, Volvo V70, 2 Subaru Outbacks

Comment

• OneMoreJeepPlease
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 19, 2010

Check the transmission safety wire also

On the later wagoneers there was a fifth wire/nipple on the starter solenoid that is the "safety" for the transmission. It will show a ground connection in park and neutral. If this wire has a break in it you will never get the ground needed to start. An easy way to check is to ground that wire or check it with an ohm meter.
                          Please Sir may I have Another.
                          1986 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/228
                          1985 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/???
                          1985 J10 PU 258/999/208
                          1983 Cherokee WT 401/???/208
                          1991 Cherokee 4.0/AX15/231J

Comment

• Tad
                            • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Furious Styles
                            Hi, I'm Kirk. That being said, the screen name Kirk wasn't available. Pleestameetcha...
                            Shoot me a PM to remind me when I get off work and I will fix that for you.
                            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• blkwarrior
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 15, 2010

Im not sure if this works but I had a problem getting mine to start when I first got it home.... That funky looking thing on the passenger fender (starter solenoid) has a ground on the bottom. Just check to see if it is connected just a hunch. Great score and I would also take both of them home.

Welcome from the great S.W. .
                              1984 GW
                              360/727/208/ Edl 1406/ Custom exhaust

Future
                              Something Sweet with mean capabilities .

Comment

Working...
                              X