• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 80wag
    232 I6
    • Jun 19, 2006

Spacers or new Wheels? Tires Rubbing, Help

What's Up Group,
    This cold is slowing my project down. Got my new rear springs on and tires are rubbing the springs on both sides. Here's the facts.

Dana 20 rear, stock 5 slot alum. rims 15x7's w/ 35/12.50/15

Front's are fine, turning radius slightly smaller but no rub, rear rub only.

Would you scrap the stock wheels and go with a 15x7 w/ less backspacing?

Would a 15x8 make the tire not stick out as much?

Would a set a spacers cure the problem and let me go with same wheels just that it would almost cost the same for newer wheels?

I'm bummed about the rubbing going on, I really like the old 5 slots look.

However, I've seen Stuka's rig and some others and I think those are black steel rock crawlers and I like the black look. Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search on backspacing and read all the posts that came up. I'm still unsure. Thanks, guys, after this comes the POR 15 and to the body shop for paint. Pics will come when finished.

Thanks, Mario in Texas 1980 GW, 360, 727,FF44, RR D20, 3in.Spring Lift, 3 inch Body Lift, 35/12.50/15, Flowmaster, Warn
    Last edited by 80wag; 02-15-2007, 05:45 AM.
    90 GW, 360/727,NP229, FR D44, RR D44w Detroit, TADS SOA KIT, 35s, 1950 Willys CJ3-UV, original
  • j20brett
    360 AMC
    • Jul 05, 2006

How much lift you put on? Im pretty sure everyone on here recommends 33" max without rubbing, or in your case you might have to cut the fenders. If you plan on wheelin it you'll need to cut them anyways to fully stuff those tires. check out www.tfsja.org while your at it lol
    Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• PhilG
      258 I6
      • Apr 27, 2006

i think he is rubbing the springs . not the fender wells . .looking at the best way to push the tire out and away from the spring using wheel offset or wheel spacers . .I am anxious myself on the replies :-)
      1971 J2000
      In the sticks in Central Louisiana

Comment

• JeeperJay
        258 I6
        • Apr 26, 2005

Honestly, I wouldn't be using a 7" wide for a 12.5" wide tire. What you are seeing is the effects of a too-narrow rim causing the sidewalls to bulge out more. This will also cause the middle of the tire to "balloon" out, which will cause uneven tread wear on the tires.
        If you do a lot of driving, I would suggest going to an 8" wide rim with the same or less backspacing as stock. You need a rim with around 3.5"-3.75" backspacing.

If you don't do a lot of driving and tread wear is not a concern, you could go for a small wheel spacer.

Just my $.02
        Jason T.
        '04 Grand Cherokee: Silver/ black. 2" lift
        '02 Grand Cherokee: Black/black Laredo with a V8 and Selec-Trac- Totaled in Sept.'07
        '90 Woody:White/maroon. TFI, BJ's 4" & 33" BFGs. Gone but not forgotten
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218533/1

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Cherokee Outlaw
          • Jan 10, 2006

Where can you find wheel spacers for a 6lug? All I can find are the 5lug ones for baby Jeeps
          -Jonny B.
          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• 80wag
            232 I6
            • Jun 19, 2006

I have been thinking about the spacers or for the same amount getting some 15x8's. I'm going to check something before I go buy anything because I wasn't having any problems before I got the tires on there so the rims could be the problem. I've seen some spacers from Spidertrax in JP magazine. Thanks guys I will post results when I do somthing. Sometimes building and not buying a FSJ is a pain. I know it'll be worth it. Mario
            90 GW, 360/727,NP229, FR D44, RR D44w Detroit, TADS SOA KIT, 35s, 1950 Willys CJ3-UV, original

Comment

• J10_Jimbo
              327 Rambler
              • Nov 23, 2004

My son is running 35X12.5 on 10" wide rims tires fit well, but his is a W/T, personally I wouldn't run the 12.5 on a 7". As for spacers I found them at a drag race / performance store when I used them. Just be sure and check your lug nuts on a regular basis, I had a problem with them becoming loose.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Oct 11, 2006

I had to run 1/4 inch spacers on the rear of my j-10 so the tires (36'' on 15x10 whls) wouldn't rub the springs. I bought mine at shlep boys or ben pilla perf. a hundred years ago. They had multiple oblong holes in them for different bolt patterns. I just made sure the lug nut went all the way through the wheel and partially into the spacer to keep it from walking. And yes, re-torque your lugs frequently after driving.

JR
                [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                1966 mustang fastback
                '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• BlackSheep
                  230 Tornado
                  • Sep 11, 2002

A narrower rim will actually reduce the overall width of the tire as compared to a wider rim. It will appear to bulge out more, but if you actually measure it, you'll find it narrower on the 7" compared to say an 8".

The 7" wheel width is definately not recommended for a 12.5" tire. By using a rim of this width, you are really changing the footprint / profile of the tire to a much rounder shape. This reduces the contact on the shoulders and will very likely result in an irregular wear situation. Not to mention the additional stresses at the belt edges as it rolls through the footprint - meaning less casing endurance.

I prefer 10" wide wheels for 12.5" width tires, although the tires are ok on an 8" wide wheel. You'll want to check your backspacing and get backspacing so that the center of the wheel is further away from the center of the vehicle. I am still never clear on whether that means more backspacing or less backspacing, so I have to think of it relative to vehicle centerline.
                  Last edited by BlackSheep; 02-17-2007, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X