• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 77 J10
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 11, 2007

Finally got the truck operational

I have been poking around here for a little over a year but have never tried to post much. Now that I have got my truck up and running I thought it was about time. About a year and a half ago I bought a 1977 J10 pickup truck. At the time I was new to California and very new to working on my own vehicles. I never thought to look for anything that had to do with smog. As long as it ran, it would be a good work truck. I later found this truck had every port plugged and all of the emissions equipment stripped. After about a year and a half later, and many trips to the junk yard, I think I finally am ready for the long anticipated trip to make the truck legal. At first I was really mad at the guy that sold it to me, but now I'm thankful for all that I've learned. She still smokes a little but she has come a long way.

Unfortunately, I haven?t had any time for anything cosmetic on the truck yet. All my time has been devoted to fixing things under the hood. There isn?t much rust outside of the wheel wells so I think I?m lucky for that.
  • HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Welcome back..
    Thanks for the pics.

Looks like a nice truck. Kinda makes you feel good to do all the work yourself. My neighbors are getting accustomed to the cursing and swearing spewing out of my garage. Knowing how it all works is priceless though. Getting it to work again is not so priceless. But it's fun and I hear some it's some kind of therapy.
    My 77 Honcho just got rolled back outside Tuesday, awaiting next round of fun money to get the lower half reworked.It's a 68,000 mile 401 survivor of sorts. Got a fortune invested in it and might as well make It as correct as possible. I put the T Bird inside for some maintenance work and a tune up. Rolled it out tonight, runs much better. Scrubbed the J20 down and cleaned it up as best it can, and tomorrow it goes in the garage and gets dismantled,lots of new parts thrown at it and reassembled then hopefully back on the road for alot longer this time. At least the engine runs like a raped ape it just don't like to stop .
    Tom Gibson
    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
    1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
    2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• pineymike
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 22, 2008

Nice J10,I partly dissassembled mine last year to inspect it to see what I had,Can't wait to get back to work on it!Once in a while I uncover it just to look at it!

Comment

• shimniok
        360 AMC
        • Jan 08, 2003

That's a fine truck! You can definitely be satisfied & proud of all you've learned and accomplished thus far!!
        Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
        1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
        Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• bushwood44
          350 Buick
          • Jan 22, 2008

Nice truck, glad i don't live in California.
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          99 Camaro z28
          73 Honda st 90
          79 F250

Comment

• jaber
            Dragin Az
            • Oct 17, 2003

Nice truck.
            Welcome from another J owner...
            Jeff

'43 cj2a
            '51 Willys p/u
            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
            '68 Panel Delivery
            '74 CJ5
            '75 J-20 Wrecker
            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
            '77 J-10 p/u
            '79 Cherokee
            '88 Grand Wagoneer
            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• janie
              • Aug 11, 2001

Howdy from TX and welcome to the insanity. That is one great looking truck you have.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Ugly Truck Nut
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 19, 2007

Nice truck, welcome aboard.
                George

'74 Cherokee, 401
                '76 J-20, 401
                M725, future project

Comment

• 77 J10
                  230 Tornado
                  • Mar 11, 2007

Thanks for the encouragement. I know I've cursed the truck and threatened to sell it at least a dozen times, but I keep coming back.
                  I was wondering if anybody knows if I need the original air intake to pass California smog. Right now it has an aftermarket intake. I have replaced all of the other equipment that I can think of, egr, air pump, cto switch, pcv valve, and rebuilt the carb. I still have a little white smoke coming from the exhaust so I am thinking that I have an internal coolant leak but am not sure.

Comment

• uglyjeep
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 20, 2007

That's why all the projects I have are earlier than '75!
                    As long as the intake has the provisions for the original smog equipment you should be fine. Get the smoking fixed before you smog it!
                    The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 31, 2006

That's a nice truck! This part of Texas doesn't do smog inspects so I can't give any advice for the emissions. White smoke indicates water. You may have a little water seepage into the cylinders. I don't want to alarm you but it's something to check for. Has the radiator been getting low?
                      1984 Wagoneer
                      1977 Cherokee Chief (401)
                      1982 J-20
                      1965 AMC Rambler American 220

Comment

• bushwood44
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 22, 2008

Hopefully its just firrst thing in the morning,moisture in the exhaust.
                        88 Grand Wagoneer
                        99 Camaro z28
                        73 Honda st 90
                        79 F250

Comment

• jeepdad56
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 19, 2007

Greetings to a fellow 77 J10 owner !! My truck is fun to work on because I can. I 've replaced a few things and enjoy using those long forgotten 1/2 and 9/16 wrenches. Just firing my J up gets me happy. Keep on truckin' it gets better !
                          1977 J10 "OBNOXIOUS"
                          360 Edelbrock 650 ,Intake and Valve Covers,Hedman Headers,Mallory Ignition,Flexalite Fans,Detroit Tru Trac Locker, Warn Hubs,Dana 44s, T18,Dana 20 Twin Stick,35 TSL SSRs on 15x8 RockCrawlers, 12,000 MileMarker Winch,Custom front Bumper and rear Hitch,Linexed Bed,Tailgate and Rockers.....Thanks to Headhoncho 4 pic

Comment

• GWDriver
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 07, 2003

Welcome to the insanity from San Antonio, TX. And yeah, it IS a kind of therapy. For me, at least. Unfortunately, for me, we're headed back overseas so I'm thinking of selling my GW.

Enjoy, get the smoke fixed then drive it till you can't buy any more gas
                            LarryD
                            USMC Retired

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
                            1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
                            2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
                            2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed

Comment

Working...
                            X