• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

Excess Front End Play

Like other 70's GM vehicles, my 77 Cherokee (QT and 401) with power steering has a vague road feel, quite a bit of play, and effortless steering. But recently I have noticed it "walking" left or right and curious to which front end components are likely at fault. The front end looks good and all is well maintained by me but it does have 100k miles and not sure of overall repair history.

I have had Saginaw manual steering on previous Jeeps and AMC's and that had an adjustment to take the "play" out of the steering but the PS adjustments seem to be possible only during a rebuild.
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

• '89_Wagon
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2019

This may not be the case with yours, but when my tire pressure is down 5-10 lbs, I get more walking. My rig could also use an alignment.
    '89 Grand Wagoneer
    AW4 Swap

Comment

• backroadin'
      350 Buick
      • Aug 11, 2004

Check the rag joint. BJ's sells a replacement if it's bad, and others.

Have someone work the wheel back and forth with the engine off while you check. Follow the steering shaft from firewall to the knuckles.
      Also, the ujoint right off the steering column can wear out and create play too. ALot of 70's jeeps had a stamped steel joint that isn't rebuildable or replaceable, and is not the kind of ujoint with bearings and stuff.
      1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

agree with backroading, the rag joint is suspect - i opted for the shaft delete option, if you lifted your rig more than a inch you need to have the caster checked/corrected - forget the chain and most mom and pops, go to a real 4WD off-road center
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Cliff
          350 Buick
          • Mar 30, 2002

Originally posted by backroadin'
          Check the rag joint. BJ's sells a replacement if it's bad, and others.

Have someone work the wheel back and forth with the engine off while you check. Follow the steering shaft from firewall to the knuckles.
          Also, the ujoint right off the steering column can wear out and create play too. ALot of 70's jeeps had a stamped steel joint that isn't rebuildable or replaceable, and is not the kind of ujoint with bearings and stuff.
          There is slight play in the steering u-joint but the rag joint is tight. I see BJ's sells a replacement steering bar with u-joints at both ends. Might be what I need.
          Cliff Danley
          1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• backroadin'
            350 Buick
            • Aug 11, 2004

Originally posted by Cliff
            I see BJ's sells a replacement steering bar with u-joints at both ends. Might be what I need.
            This is what I did, except I went with the rag joint shaft. My upper joint happened to be really sloppy. It was more than I wanted to spend, but now that it's in, I've forgotten the money part. Quality piece, well made and the fit was perfect. You'll have to put some paint on it since it comes bare metal - otherwise it'll look all rusty in a year.

It tightened up my steering but not completely - I think I still have some play in the steering box itself, which I'll just deal with for now. I've read about the adjustment screw on the p/s boxes, but also read that it's not the proper way to "tighten up" the steering. I'm pretty sure tgreese had a few posts here on that topic that convinced me of that.
            1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

XJ Steering mid shaft bolts in with U-Joints. That's what I did.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• mwood65
                258 I6
                • Jul 17, 2017

Mine got terrible seemingly overnight... All the bolts from the gearbox to the frame were broken except for 1 of them and it was loose.

Scary to think what could have happened...

Check those bolts!

Comment

• Cliff
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 30, 2002

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  XJ Steering mid shaft bolts in with U-Joints. That's what I did.
                  Rang - what year XJ steering arm fits the FSJ?
                  Cliff Danley
                  1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Not sure. I just copied this guy
                    I was going through a salvage yard the other day and noticed that a XJ steering shaft is really close to the late model GW shaft but without the rag joint. (84-96 XJ) The top joint on the shafts are different so I slid both apart. I was able to use the stock wagoneer upper shaft and the XJ lower shaft.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rallison203
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 16, 2021

[Deleted and started new thread.]
                      Last edited by rallison203; 05-13-2022, 02:25 PM.
                      Reid
                      1987 AMC Jeep J10 Pioneer 360 / 727 / 208

Comment

• sierrablue
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 24, 2022

I've been having a bit of walking (since I got it), and we checked every last steering joint, alignment, everything. We're pretty sure the bushings for the springs and shackles are the culprit, so that's one of the new things on the list...have the bushings, just need some time to replace them.
                        DD:
                        '71 Wagoneer
                        B350/TH400/D20
                        open knuckle D44 front
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...79#post1734879

Project:
                        December 1962 Panel Delivery 4x4, Stock
                        Pulled out of the woods in July 2023--hey, it rolls now https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/tongue.png
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...29#post2476527

Previous Rig:
                        Tan '88 Grand Wagoneer
                        .060 over 401, TBI, headers
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...77#post1734777

Comment

Working...
                        X