X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Trimmed the passenger side to about 1? to add a horizontal plenum. Tried forming a strip of ABS to the final shape. It?ll be easier to make it in two pieces.

Made a form the same size as the defroster outlet. Heated and formed the first part of the curve and stapled it to the form.

Heated about an inch at a time and rolled it around the form leaving the left part tangent where it?ll attach to the duct.

Test fit.

Test fit in the dash.

Formed a V to attach the other side of the plenum to the duct.

Riveted the V to the duct. Used some urethane windshield sealant between the pieces.

Finished. Used ABS cement between the V and the plenum and riveted the other side. Glued a flat piece on the left end.

In place in the dash with the hose installed.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Been out of town for a week. Finished the driver side before I left.

Just have to attach the new to the old and fill the gaps.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Randyzzz
        258 I6
        • Mar 03, 2008

Nice tech tip! I'll be doing the same thing later this year, good to see your take on the problem.
        Randy S.
        It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
        1987 J20 SOLD
        1966 Waggy SOLD
        1970 Waggy SOLD
        1982 Scrambler SOLD
        1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• SJTD
          304 AMC
          • Apr 26, 2012

Thanks.

I've seen several threads where guys have used the Vintage Air unit but only pichers of the thing hanging on the firewall. No pics of the ducting.

I'd like to see how others have done it.
          Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah i have to agree really cool

Where did you get the material ?

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• jeepman1
              258 I6
              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by the original Honcho
              x2
              x3
              : 98 9er
              '83 Honcho j10
              '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
              '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

I got the ABS on Amazon.

Not the cheapest source but more convenient than buying 4 x 8 sheets locally.
                Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• jeepman1
                  258 I6
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Nice spring mounts, in your free time, make about 20 sets.. I'm sure they would find good homes
                  : 98 9er
                  '83 Honcho j10
                  '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
                  '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

Been a while. Layed off , transfer to Pueblo not happening due to layoffs , sold Lompoc house , payed off other house with profit .

After trying several photo hosting sites I subscribed to PB. Much faster due to no adds. Nothing wrong with paying for something I use.

Been working on the AC ducting. Don't want to use the vacuum cleaner hose they provide so been making ducts out of the ABS.

2" Drain pipe has just a little smaller OD than the hose ID when it's stretched tight so I used it for a form.

Driver side outer end

Inner end

Formed the ABS with a heat gun and gloves

Inside of same bend trimmed

Trim fixture. Really fast for plain elbows, didn't work for the ends

Gluing the halves together. The screw has washer on the inside also to align the edges

Driver side parts finished. All joints have a patch over them or are overlapped. Not relying on glued butt joints.

Finished driver side. This joint will have a piece of the vacuum hose for flex and vibration isolation. Same for one joint on each duct

Similar process for the others. Had to do some reforming with the heat gun here and there due to interference with wipers and adjacent ducts but overall with the smooth interior that's actually bigger than the hose when relaxed I think I'm better off.
                    Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

Stock dash won't work. With the AC and ducting there's no room for the stereo or glove box. I also want a 2 DIN or larger display and need center AC outlets. Don't really want knee coolers like the stock system.

Rather than trying to work around the stock ashtray and clock opening and trying to fit a tablet in the center I figured it'd be easier to start fresh so I put in a 1/8" x 1/2" bar across the bottom and a piece of sheet for a clean start.

Filled in the sides so they are flat. Going to have a storage space beneath the screen.

Made the frame for the screen

Test fit of the screen

The cutouts for the AC vents and screen. Put in piece of 1/4" tubing for the frame of the cubby hole.

The front of the cubby hole installed. It'll be maybe 3" deep made out of ABS.

Ducting and dash pretty much finished. Driver side defrost runs diagonally across the center opening. Haven't decided if I'm going use the vacuum hose or make a duct.

The drive side defroster I made didn't fit so I ended up modifying the stock one similar to the passenger side.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2004

Subscribed!

You are doing what i thought would not work.. using the older dash and updating it. I love it! I assume this would not work with the original HVAC instead of the Vintage? Too bulky, or is the Vintage just better output? Vintage comes with it's own control panel, correct? where are you mounting it? And what about the heater? (or does the Vintage do both?

Sucks that stereo and such won't fit center section. You could bulge that section out a bit, blend it in and maybe get stereo in there?

Are you going to make the hole on the passenger side where the "speaker grill" goes into a glovebox? I think a hinged panel there that is same size with the old grill on it would be very cool.

Very envious of your skills and perseverance! So many of these full-on builds get set aside and never revived.

Any issues with the foam sprayed in the roof over time? The headliner came out great as well and I am sure the trim and such will hold it up just fine.

Thank you for linking to my question thread!
                        b
                        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                        50 CJ3A
                        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SJTD
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 26, 2012

The VA system is heat/air/dehumidified defrost. Only bad thing is there's no fresh air inlet but the passenger vent is right down there. I'm considering ducting it directly into the AC inlet.

I like how the center turned out once I decided to take the plunge except it looks like a face. I think the Android will be better than a two DIN stereo system for nav. There are stereo systems that can be controlled by Android devices but I think I'm just going to mount the removable faceplate from a single DIN below the cubby. I'm reading that they can be mounted remotely. I don't need a CD player.

Yeah, the beeg hole on the passenger side will be the glovebox.

No issues with the foam. No lingering smell.
                          Last edited by SJTD; 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM.
                          Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

What a completely awesome build! Glad to see it surface.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                            1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra
                            2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                            Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

Just when I think I have my project all planned out in my head I see another awsome bunch of awsome ideas. Thanks a lot!

Great work BTW.
                              1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                              Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• SJTD
                                304 AMC
                                • Apr 26, 2012

Thanks guys, considering the source that's high praise.

Worked on converting the auto column to manual. Didn't want to leave the auto stuff in there. After I was well along I found out an XJ manual column was pretty much a bolt it. Oh well, save a few bucks.

One of the first things I did was tack this nut plate in place. It's what the bearing/tilt assembly bolts to and I'm pretty sure it won't need to be loose anymore. Even if it does it was worth tacking since I don't think I exagerate when I say I had to install/remove the tilt assembly twenty or more times in getting everything fitted up.

Had to cut this out. The shift tube that runs down the column is pressed into this and supports the shroud.

After attempting to fill the hole for the shift lever I decided I should weld in a plug rather than just fill it in. Dunno what I was thinking.

I hesitate to show this. I'm no great welder but really stink with aluminum. Fortunately it's just a plug, not structural.

Doesn't look so bad after some clean up. Turns out I had to remove a lot of material because I'm installing the shroud upside down to put the indicator at the bottom. I wasn't about to try welding up that notch right on the edge of the shroud.

Outside doesn't look too bad , especially with the glare. There's some pitting and lack of penetration but again it's just a plug. Nothing a little filler won't fix.

Then I dropped it. Had to make a mandrel to get it round again. This is actually the "face plate" I made for my lathe years ago. I drill and tap it wherever needed to mount oddball parts and reface it when it gets too full of holes. Or bevel the edge to straighten Jeep parts. Probably an inch thinner than it was when I made it.

Some of he shroud mounts. Since the shift tube is no longer supporting the shroud it bolts to these.

Can't believe I didn't get a picher of the shroud mounted but I'm not going to assemble it again untless I have to!

To mount it, two long screws come in from the top of the shroud at about 10 and 2 o'clock and go into the aluminum tilt mount block. Nuts on the inside backed against the shroud locate it. One screw on the bottom goes into that boss on the right in the above pic.

The lower end of the shroud bolts to three bosses, two of which are on the left.

The one on the far left is one of the four column mounts.
                                Last edited by SJTD; 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM.
                                Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

Working...
                                X