X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panoscopic
    350 Buick
    • Jan 24, 2001

Hey, looks like I have really started a good debate!

I just wanted to clarify a bit here. My relationship with Panoscopic has been a passionate one - both love and hate, but somehow the love seems to overcome the hate! After all, I can't bring my mind to sell here. In light of all the positive support, I drove her to work today. Given some of the responses, I think that many of you may share the same emotions.

What I was trying to get at was the Wagoneer in the time it was being sold during the eighties. For people who own them now, you can pick up a decent runner for $1,000, and even with the price of gas, it can be practical to run. Especially now given the uncertain economic times, not being tied to a payment is a big plus!

What is different is when a Grand was sold new. It was at the top of the price scale for any car. Very few people could afford those kind of bucks. It is like $50K in today's dollars. Now, for those who paid that kind of money, I doubt that articulation was a defining factor in their purchase, because most of these probably never made it very far off-road, and the most four wheeling they ever did was in Aspen. Since most of the driving was on-road, the live axle was a liability and not an asset.

The price point of the '80 was a radical departure from when the car was introduced in the 1960's. The value proposition at that time was classic Jeep - an affordable, rugged versatile vehicle for every man. In the '80's, it became pure yuppiemobile.

What happened in the '80s was pure American marketing magic in my mind. Rather than discontinue it, take an old design, "upgrade" it with fake wood, leather trim (the seating is not full leather) some power accessories, double the price, and target it to a totally new audience and bingo - a profit powerhouse. But still not enough to save AMC. Technically, AMC did nothing to upgrade the powerplant and instead continued to use '70's era emissions technology, at a time when Ford had radically improved their V8s (5.0 Mustang) and GM was doing its job too. The output of the AMC 360 on Panoscopic is a measly 126HP, the lowest power per cubic inch in modern history!
    Jeepless....now and for the foreseeable future

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panoscopic:
      What happened in the '80s was pure American marketing magic in my mind. Rather than discontinue it, take an old design, "upgrade" it with fake wood, leather trim (the seating is not full leather) some power accessories, double the price, and target it to a totally new audience and bingo - a profit powerhouse. But still not enough to save AMC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it was more by accident than by design.

AMC introduced the "Limited" in 1978, and soon a good number of Wags, if not a majority, were equipped with this full luxury package. This trend accelerated into the 1980's; just think about how many '82 and '83 Wags you find with the Limited trim, compared to the base stripper trim.

When the XJ Cherokee AND Wagoneer were introduced in 1984, it seems for all the world that Jeep intended both those models to replace the full-size Cherokee and Wagoneer. They kept the FSJ wagon as the Grand Wagoneer, and apparently to their surprise, people kept buying them (in fact, sales INCREASED after the XJ was introduced). Considering that the development costs for the GW were amortized long ago, Jeep was happy to keep selling a truck that was just about pure profit. It seems the only reason they stopped selling it is that it would not meet the new passive-restraint safety regulations without massive reengineering, and the ZJ replacement of the XJ Cherokee was moved upmarket and introduced in 1993 as the "Grand Cherokee" and "Grand Wagoneer", as a replacement for the full-size GW.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Technically, AMC did nothing to upgrade the powerplant and instead continued to use '70's era emissions technology, at a time when Ford had radically improved their V8s (5.0 Mustang) and GM was doing its job too. The output of the AMC 360 on Panoscopic is a measly 126HP, the lowest power per cubic inch in modern history!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, the late-70's Ford 250ci I-6's hold the record for the lowest modern hp/ci ratings, with some motors putting out only 70hp. So the AMC holds the record for the lowest-rated hp/ci modern _V-8_ engine.

The fact that the 129hp motor was identical to the motor rated at 144hp and 175hp also throws fuel on the fire of this debate. Either way, it can stand some improvement.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• andy d
        Shade Tree Shaman
        • May 06, 2000

the wags were dinosaurs. 70s smog technolgy pasted onna a 60s engine. but heck, im a dinosaur too or so say my younguns. nothing gives me a charge like pulling some hapless soul out of the sand. usually its a ford explorer,whose making payments on the thing. ithink the original design engineers of the wag would be amazed to discover that the wag has become a "cult"vehicle and a suburban icon. ilike my wag and am not looking forward to the day when rust and entrophy win out. just let me finish my house and i will head south or west onna hunt for a rust free 6
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• reddog
          304 AMC
          • Jul 26, 2000

LOL Andy - my kids say the same about me! Little rascules!!!

So if I understand the point about being out of the cost of Limiteds or Grands being extreme for the market at the time, it appears to me whether via dumb luck or not that AMC was much ahead of thier time with the first (and for quite a while ONLY) "luxury SUV" and all the Caddys and Excursions ETC ETC are just expensive imitations with limited off road ability?? Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something??
          87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• reddog
            304 AMC
            • Jul 26, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
            I was wondering about this subject the other day as I was trying to get my 89 GW out of the woods. I lost a rear axle, due to a wheel bearing letting go. This subject has me about P-O'ED as possible 2000 miles on it. I was wondering why I keep messing around with this old JUNK! WHY WHY WHY! I have no clue none, none at all. I do know I will fix it again, and await the next problem to show itself I know it will. I drive it with pride because on a warm day all the windows go down and with a little manual help come back up, when it is cold only the drivers window works with help. This is a good thing, because it is to cold to have the windows down anyhow. I think its great the drivers window works all year round so I can get cash out of drive thru ATMs for gas and repairs. I have been playing with JEEPS so long I can't think of any other SUV for my off road adventures. It has also been mentioned on this post, not everyone has a FSJ, to us, as a group of incurrable addicted JEEP JUNKIES this is unique and desirable status at any cost! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!! Now I know where you must have gotten your handle - in addition to your driving habits!

Kerry

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: reddog ]
            87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• woodybeone
              304 AMC
              • Sep 02, 2001

GW's are a perfect fit for us "Big and Tall" folks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• andy d
                Shade Tree Shaman
                • May 06, 2000

gotta admit, wunna the dumbest looking rigs ive ever seen is a cadillac escalade with 18" lo pro tires
                \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• El Gordo
                  232 I6
                  • May 15, 2001

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reddog:
                  So if I understand the point about being out of the cost of Limiteds or Grands being extreme for the market at the time, it appears to me whether via dumb luck or not that AMC was much ahead of thier time with the first (and for quite a while ONLY) "luxury SUV" and all the Caddys and Excursions ETC ETC are just expensive imitations with limited off road ability?? Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  You've got that exactly right. I for one bought my GW not for off-roadability, but for the luxury features (though the 4WD does help in the winter here). It had the most for the money. Naturally, I wanted FULL leather interior as opposed to leather with "Cumberland Cord inserts", but I made a compromise because it had the power sunroof. If you can find me another vehicle with leather, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, power seats, power sunroof, cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel, alluminum wheels, air conditioning, and fog lights for $600.00, let me know.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: El Gordo ]
                  -Tim<br />\'87 GW with vinyl top and ASC power sunroof

Comment

• Scott
                    258 I6
                    • May 08, 2000

I love this jeep . I had a 77 Cherokee NT and it was cool, but I sold it and after a few more owners it died, I think . I like the modern feel of the interior with the look of the classic FSJ exterior. If everyone wanted the same thing...it would be a boring world .

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Oct 21, 2000

Here is more grist for the mill
                      I can remember reading magazine tests of the last few years of G-Wags, and they all said the same thing,"this is the one to get if you want the most luxurious 4x4, but still need it to perform off road" Yes, it was a little pricey,,,,but the word was "get a G-Wag, and be the envy of the country club set"

I still haven't seen your G/W around here,,,,so I will have to assume that I own the nicest looking fsj in Chicagoland

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: jeepguzzi ]
                      79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• nfroio
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 11, 2001

I've been following this whole thing, and decided I would toss my 2 pennies into the hat, mainly regarding the engines in our rigs, sure, they were underpowered, and knowing the engines that were readily available at the time, why they did not toss a more potent package into the Grand Wags, I dunno, but whats so GRAND about Grand Wags, is that ALOT of them are getting into the 25 year old range, and hence are beginning to become exempt to the smog restrictions, meaning that we can soon basically do whatever we please with them.

Even the one that we must still abide by smog with, are sooooooooo easy to work on, and have sooooooo many aftermarkets parts, that are relatively cheap, we can make them crank some serious HP's, if I can ever get ahold of some of that so called "extra cash", I am looking at 4BBL Carb/Intake, Headers, and anything else that I can produce massive more HP's, and willing to bet that I can still do it for much less than you could on a new rig that you are already in hock up your eyeballs on.

I priced out an equally equipped 4X4 1/2Ton Z71 Suburban on Chevrolets website, and it cost - - -- Brace Yourself: $41,685.00...

BeeeJeeezUs.. I could by at least 10, if not more, Grand Wags for that price, which, for the most part, can do everything that the 'burb can do, if not more, and to me, that is GRAND. (or, should I says, $Grands$ saved)

Noah
                        nfroio<BR><A HREF=\"http://www.geocities.com/gsd_luver/\" TARGET=_blank>My 87 Grand Wag Page</A><BR>\'87 Grand Wagoneer <BR>AMC 360<BR>Flowmaster 2.5\"<BR>Tinted Rear Windows<BR>Future upgrades: New Intake Manifold, New Carb, and what ever else the wife will let me do it... :-)<BR>http://www.geocities.com/nfroio/tn87wag1.jpg

Comment

• Bosox Al
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 20, 2001

Why i love my wag. First of all its a BIG AMERICAN JEEP, Built in A M E R I C A !!!! i think there isnt enough american made rides on the road today. I grew up on my step fathers used car lot. He had a passion for big cadillacs, the leather interior and power options remind me of all the old cadilacs we used to drive around in when i was a kid. Now all the giant oversized suv's that are out here today are nice but... i would like you to show me one Durango, Suburban,Navigator, Escalade site with over 1000+ members who can tell you how to fix them. I have yet to meet a owner of one of these vehicle's that can do their own repairs.When somthing goes wrong with them most of the people just bend on over and take them to the dealer. Forget that. i also like that there's plenty of other wags still out there if i ever wreck mine i can replace it.I looke on autotrader.com every once and a while and there's at least 40 to 50 in the US for sale, and that's only one site! I also love the woodgrain! When someone show's me a new trendy SUV that they have bought, i say "it's nice but, Where's the woodgrain??" Long Live FSJS!! and hopefully (with the help of this site)Long Live my WAG!....AL
                          Al Lucier <br />90 Grandwagoneer<br />360 stock rebiult,TFI,2\"lift blocks for the rear sagg.

Comment

258 I6
                            • Apr 19, 2001

Your estimation that a $24,000 wag in 1991 is equivalent to $50,000 in 2001 dollars, is DEAD WRONG! Looking at the consumer price index (I'm a finance major, so I do this all the time) from 1991-2001 the CPI has only risen 30.686 percent (avg. inflation rate is 3.06% per year for the last 10 years) Thus the said $24,000 Wagoneer in 1991 would have a present value of $31,364.64 (in 2001 dollars), or in other words, a dollar in 1991 buys you the same as $1.31 today. Just thought i'd clear up the matter.
                            ~newbie (...by name, not by reputation)<P>\"I figure I make pretty good bucks, so I might as well go all out and pop for the fullsize\" -Ben Stiller (Gaylord Focker) \"Meet the Parents\"<P>*\'91 Ford Explorer (2wd poseur with 30x9.5 BFG\'s)<BR>*FSJ to be named later

Comment

• El Gordo
                              232 I6
                              • May 15, 2001

However... In 1991, base MSRP for a Grand Wagoneer was $28k or $29k. Not $24k. I happen to remember that my '87 with options came out to over $30,000.00 on it's original MSRP.
                              -Tim<br />\'87 GW with vinyl top and ASC power sunroof

Comment

• solar@clnk.com
                                232 I6
                                • Aug 02, 2001

"Furthermore" !!!!

One of the best things about owning a Jeep Grand Wagoneer is THIS FORUM! Few, if any, special interest vehicle owners have a friendly and helpful place to visit, swap information and parts, and just BS like we have here.
                                1990 Grand Wagoner FSJ<br />Charcoal/Maroon (stock)55k miles since new.<br />\"Pretty Near Showroom Condition\"<br /><br />1978 J-10 FSJ Pickup<br /><br />1948 Willys Jeepster<br /><br />\"Beauty is in the behind of the beholder\" ?Prof. Irwin Corey

Comment

Working...
                                X