Anyone on IFSJA into Perkins T6.354?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn more about Diesel-Swapped 1971 International Travelall on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 350 Vortec
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2014

Hey,probably not much use to you now but I have 2 N/A 635.4's here,very common in Europe,they are very nice running motor,easy/cheap to service..as far as puttung one in a Jeep goes,I'd probably say it's a big heavy lump with fairly low hp and definately not easy on juice!!modern Perkins Phazers run rings round them,also have a 220phazer with approx same fuel/hr consumption with over 2x HP

Comment

Hi 350

Hi 350-

Ireland, eh? Interesting. Kinda cool to hear from far away folks, some of you have amazing rigs....Sportside Dan's recent post about the 'secret garden' of FSJ's was stunning.

Yeah, from what I've been able to read, the Phazers were the next leap forward.

But I'm kind of a stubborn 'vintage minded' guy, if I could do a diesel swap, I'm interested in some of the older lumps So far, info hasn't been easy to find, most folks all want the modern stuff. Any diesel magazines here focus on Cummins/Duramax/PowerStroke...I get it, they're new, and what sells.
        Wish there was some vintage diesel mags with some real good tech folks, but it just doesn't seem to exist.

Kind of hard to tell who's spinning tales and who's telling the truth on these engines, as far as mpg goes. Have read about guys getting 20-25mpg in older Ford and Chevy pickups with the 6.354, which isn't bad for a big heavy brick of a truck....I know the Wag is a bit lighter than a F250/C20.

If a good unit could be found, would not be looking for mega-power, black smoke type stuff. Just a nice, clean rebuild with the turbo setup, tweak it for best combo of power/mpg, and just enjoy it. Have watched the few T6 and NA 354 vids online, and the Perkins just has a sound all it's own....does not sound like the modern diesels, which is cool. Also from your neck of the woods, saw some vids of the Commer 'knocker' engines, man, those are pretty wild. Those, and the Detroits, definitely make their own music...if Detroits weren't so doggone heavy (or if I had a one ton J truck or M715),
        I'd love to try one.

They got an OT section on here, perhaps you might post some pics of your stuff? Always cool to see what others are building/working on.

Thanks for the comments, best of luck with your stuff, too.

Comment

• 350 Vortec
          232 I6
          • Oct 17, 2014

Just a quick thought,A deutz air cooled would be a pretty cool transplant motor also,lighter and they run very nice,durable as you'll get and economical to,I have on in a tractor,912
          6cyl with turbo slapped on,it's black worn out but still pulls like a train and refuses to give up ,will get round to pics eventually but most of my stuff would be considered junk by most ppl

Comment

Deutz don't do so well in transportation vehicles. The vibration, smoke and smell drive people away from them.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Bill Moore
              304 AMC
              • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by Carnuck
              Deutz don't do so well in transportation vehicles. The vibration, smoke and smell drive people away from them.
              \\

there was a Deutz powered j20 on craigslist a few years ago, neat set up
              DDs
              67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
              78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                232 I6
                • Oct 17, 2014

Originally posted by Carnuck
                Ok I can see how smell could be a problem with oil leaks but they are a quality motor and don't spew by nature but smoke and vibration can't be any worse than any,I'd have said noise would be bigger issue(reason they failed euro regs),any deutz motors I've had experience with run very nice and with inline fuel pumps they are very lively and easily tuned,I certainly wouldn't mind having one in a Jeep but they are generally expensive here and most of the trucks they were fitted to are long since exported so combine harvesters and stationary units are only option here,anyway sorry to derail bmax

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 17, 2014

Originally posted by Bill Moore
                  \\

there was a Deutz powered j20 on craigslist a few years ago, neat set up
                  That's interesting,with no rad and what seems to be relatively low profile I think it would fit in nice

Comment

The biggest issue is they are thirsty for a diesel. 20 mpg with an O/D isn't great and is achievable with gas motors. John Meister put a couple other diesels in Wagoneers and the weight was overcome by putting a lift in front, but the vibration still sucked. His final one (that has been waiting 14 years) is a Nissan SD33T which runs smooth and clean.

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 17, 2014

Our deutz have been very good on fuel to be honest ,actually they are renouned for economy over here,has to be lighter than 6354 perk and certainly lighter than 6bt,I'd do it if I had time and money,even played with idea of the 3 cyl in an offroad buggy,think air cooled makes sense for a lot of applications but they do sound a bit like a jet engine when that fan is at full tilt and high revs,but that's appealing to some

Comment

We have some 1 and 2 cyl ones here. We used one on the loader in the scrap yard. 10 gallon tank got filled once a day.

Comment

Hey 350...Deutz...is that the engine in a Pinzgauer?

Hey 350-

A co-worker has a Pinzgauer, it might have some kind of an air cooled diesel in it...not too sure though.

Anyway, he loves the things, in addition to WW2 Jeeps.

And hey...2 other things- you didn't 'derail' anything, hehe, your just talking diesels- I'm a diesel noob, so any info is welcome anyhow. Also, lots of us have 'imperfect' vehicles, so don't worry, fee free to post pics!

Thanks again for the discussion, it's interesting.

Comment

Not to mention you're used to our conversations going sideways! That mirror is still on my desk. Found some front lenses you might want that are going with it.

Comment

• 350 Vortec
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 17, 2014

Pinz are pretty cool machines bmax ,they were fitted with an air cooled petrol motor for a while I'm sure,all parts are also designed especially for them so it won't be any common engine,if original that is,common swap over here is a VW diesel..hey Carnuck,1 and 2 cylinders ??no wonder you have vibration issues LOL,only smooth single diesel I ever seen was an old lister with a fly wheel that musta weighed a half ton!!i can't say if 10 gal is good or bad in your situ,you obviously think it's bad but how much work was it doing?we had a 5cyl 912 which when worked hard would just about manage 10 gal a day..our 6cyl 912 with aftermarket holset (140hp) would use almost twice that but also manage close to twice the work!!not many 6litre motors that will do a hard days work for 20 gal.....our common rail 6litre deutz is an alcoholic by comparison and only rated at 120hp..sd33 turbo
                              Engines are rare over here in fact I've never seen one,NA Sd33's were very common at one stage as every other 4x4 was a Nissan for a period from early 80's but they were gutless ,ran lovely but wouldn't pull the socks off a deadman,..anyway back to Perkins then Bmax..I'd gladly swap mine for a deutz lol...but seriously I just remembered,the last 6354 I seen in a vehicle was fitted to a French military truck,non turbo ,I think British leyland fitted a lot of 6354's in 7ton truck range but they were mostly fitted in tractors and plant machinery,they are a nice smooth running engine for sure..did you know the diesel pump is fitted vertical?
                              Last edited by 350 Vortec; 10-25-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Hey 350

Hey 350-

Thanks again for the discussion and tidbits, always happy to learn stuff.

Didn't know about the pump orientation on the 354...have read about different types of pumps. Have read that if you get an agricultural 354 and want to use it on road, to fit a damper on the front- interesting discussion on 4BTSwaps.com a while back...guess the guy pulled it out of a Massey tractor or something, put it in his truck, and the crank went bye bye shortly there
                                after. Something about 'constant-load ops' vs. 'hiway ops', vibration wise.

Just find them kinda fascinating, plus they are sort of period to the FSJ era, and have seen pics of them in International trucks, too. Your right, they don't make the mega power of the newer diesels, but guess I'm just a stubborn, vintage minded guy....couple that with the luv for the FSJ's,
                                and other old trucks, hehe....yeah, I'm my own worst enemy

Thanks again for all the commentary....if you can, put up some pics someday, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X