• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjarcher
    232 I6
    • Sep 05, 2012

need help identifying squeak/squeal noise

The GW I am driving is making a loud squeal when in motion. It continues to squeal even when the brakes are applied. It can be heard outside the vehicle.I greased the zerks, thinking maybe it is a dry u-joint. May be a wheel bearing, but bad wheel bearings have always sounded more grating than squealing to me. Any ideas?
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    '16 JK 2 Door, 6 speed (sold)
    '82 J10, 258, tf904, np208, 2.73 (sold)
    '96 ZJ 5.2 (sold)
    '98 ZJ 4.0 (sold)
    '76 CJ5 232 (sold)
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Really? we are supposed to diagnose a squeak on the internet. grab a friend or neighbor or take to a shop for help its all guesses from here

Comment

• cjarcher
      232 I6
      • Sep 05, 2012

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
      Really? we are supposed to diagnose a squeak on the internet. grab a friend or neighbor or take to a shop for help its all guesses from here
      Guesses are welcome. Smarmy replies aren't.
      '85 Grand Wagoneer
      '16 JK 2 Door, 6 speed (sold)
      '82 J10, 258, tf904, np208, 2.73 (sold)
      '96 ZJ 5.2 (sold)
      '98 ZJ 4.0 (sold)
      '76 CJ5 232 (sold)

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

Not trying to smarmy, just reality here, it's a noise and your on a computer with no noise? squeaks can be anything anywhere, . As I said grab a friend, it will be a lot better than everyone here trying to guess where your squeak is.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

I'm kinda with Wiley...like asking "how long is a piece of string?"
          Assuming it doesn't squeal when sitting still idling or reving the motor? I'd suspect "anything" that rotates while driving. Yeah, don't sound like a wheel bearing but gotta ask how long it's been since you cleaned, inspected, repacked the wheel bearings? Might help with us guessing by telling us what you've already physically checked and ruled out? Could be wheel end related, could be dry gearbox, differential??? Any noise level change with speed or same at 30 and 50? Any noise level change with load? Same noise level when you let off the gas as when under load at speed? I know this is the computer click here for satisfaction era but your wag ain't. Not trying to be smarmy but man you gotta put in some effort too and at least give some info as to what you've checked. Again working with what you gave us I'd suspect any of the rotating/spinning bits. I agree with take a passenger along and get their on site opinion as to at least what end or corner of the car is complaining. Good luck.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

Jack it up and turn the wheels by hand. Listen and feel.
            87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• mwood65
              258 I6
              • Jul 17, 2017

I had a weird whining noise in my Cherokee,
              made my wife get out and it stopped.

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Jack it up and turn the wheels by hand. Listen and feel.
                87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

Working...
                X