• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordo
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 02, 2000

A/C BLUES - PLEASE HELP ! !

I've wondered if anyone could give me a money/time saving tip on revamping the A/C system on my '83 WAG which I bought from my brother-in-law last spring. It blows tons of air but its not cold. I'm not a genius when it comes to cars but I have spent months studying the parts and mechanics of my Jeep with the help of the Chiltons manual and in talking to my brother-in-law who IS mechanically talented (except in the area of A/C systems). He says that I need to go get a compressor at a junk yard. I called around and found a place that had one for $50. Not bad since new ones cost $200-300. But is that going to solve my problem? I'm just not sure where to start with this little A/C project and I'm sure someone out there could do this in their sleep. I called a guy here in town who has a shop that specializes in A/C repair and he acted like an '83 Jeep was a highly unusual vehicle so I don't want to make 100 trips to him, the dealer, the auto parts store, the junk yard and back to him for what should be a relatively painless project. All he really said was if you buy a compressor make sure you buy new o-rings for it no matter what (and they're cheap so who cares) I guess my question is, without using too much technical verbage, what should I evaluate first to get this task accomplished? My thinking is that a compressor from an old Jeep that's been sitting in a junkyard for who knows how long might not even work. I mean, if you don't use your A/C for even a few months don't the seals get messed up? And I don't want to take it to this service guy and come back to a $1000 bill the next day. I've looked at new compressors but I can't figure out if the A/C system in my car was factory or dealer installed - I even called Jeep/Chrysler to see if they could help me figure this out by giving them the VIN but they said their records didn't go back further than '86 for that info. It's hot and I just want this done but where do I start so I don't have to mortgage the house for some simple comfort in the 100 degree temps right now? Any information I can get from a Jeep A/C expert would be most excellent - THANKS!

------------------
    '83 WAG LIMITED
    360 2BBL, 217K miles
    New Engine: in progress
    New Intake: in progress
    Paint Job: in progress
    Skyjacker Lift: in progress

[This message has been edited by Jordo (edited August 03, 2000).]
    \'83 WAG LIMITED<BR>360 2BBL, 217K miles<BR>New Engine: in progress<BR>New Intake: in progress<BR>Paint Job: in progress<BR>Skyjacker Lift: in progress

I'm no expert... but I will tell you that as mechanically inclined as I am, I ALWAYS take my A/C problems to a certified A/C Tech. There is no way I will pay $1.49 per oz. of R-12, price to have your system cleaned after you have broken the lines, new dryer, vacuumed, and charged to find out that the compressor you just put in was bad to begin with. Long story short... after all the work you may do... another tech may have to go in and do it all again to fix a leak.

I just paid $815 to have my wifes van done. Worth every penny with a dual A/C system. Now I have brand new parts with a lifetime warranty and a good warranty for the labor from the shop til Jan 2002 (thru next summer)

These are my .02 worth,... save the money and fix it right the first time... it's not like a gear box or water pump... r-12 IS expensive!!!

------------------
    TJ
    78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
    360/TH400/QT
    Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
    7" SOA conversion
    4" Skyjacker Softride
    3" Trailmaster Bodylift
    33x12.50's on 15x10's
    (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
    My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
    "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Narnian
      350 Buick
      • Aug 02, 2000

Don't be afraid of this little task. I pulled it off in my Corvette, and I'm about to do the same in my 81 Laredo.

Tips:
      1) Compressors are pretty reliable, but have mechanical parts. I wouldn't want to re-do this job, so buy a new one if you can afford it. Autozone in Ohio quoted me a price under $150 for a new compressor.
      2) If the old compresssor on the vehicle now say AMC or Chrysler, it should be Factory. If it says Borg-Warner or American, it's should be dealer installed.
      3) You will need to replace your accumulator when you open the system as well. again, Autozone in Ohio quoted me prices under $50.
      4) If you think there is ANY R-12 in the system, you should take it to a pro and have it evacuated before you start tearing things up (just to do your part in "protecting the environment")
      5) You should consider changing to R-134. It will use the same exact equipment, and you don't need a professional everytime you take things apart.

Hope this message hasn't reached you too late. I put R-12 back in my Corvette two years ago, and it still works pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jordo:
      I've wondered if anyone could give me a money/time saving tip on revamping the A/C system on my '83 WAG which I bought from my brother-in-law last spring. It blows tons of air but its not cold. I'm not a genius when it comes to cars but I have spent months studying the parts and mechanics of my Jeep with the help of the Chiltons manual and in talking to my brother-in-law who IS mechanically talented (except in the area of A/C systems). He says that I need to go get a compressor at a junk yard. I called around and found a place that had one for $50. Not bad since new ones cost $200-300. But is that going to solve my problem? I'm just not sure where to start with this little A/C project and I'm sure someone out there could do this in their sleep. I called a guy here in town who has a shop that specializes in A/C repair and he acted like an '83 Jeep was a highly unusual vehicle so I don't want to make 100 trips to him, the dealer, the auto parts store, the junk yard and back to him for what should be a relatively painless project. All he really said was if you buy a compressor make sure you buy new o-rings for it no matter what (and they're cheap so who cares) I guess my question is, without using too much technical verbage, what should I evaluate first to get this task accomplished? My thinking is that a compressor from an old Jeep that's been sitting in a junkyard for who knows how long might not even work. I mean, if you don't use your A/C for even a few months don't the seals get messed up? And I don't want to take it to this service guy and come back to a $1000 bill the next day. I've looked at new compressors but I can't figure out if the A/C system in my car was factory or dealer installed - I even called Jeep/Chrysler to see if they could help me figure this out by giving them the VIN but they said their records didn't go back further than '86 for that info. It's hot and I just want this done but where do I start so I don't have to mortgage the house for some simple comfort in the 100 degree temps right now? Any information I can get from a Jeep A/C expert would be most excellent - THANKS!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• Brazzy
        232 I6
        • Jun 21, 2000

Been there done that! Dont be affraid of this . Get a pro or a friend to tell you what the system needs and be sure he's right. replaceing parts needlessly is costly . suggest filling it with compressed air of some type and finding all the leaks.
        If you do need a compressor you can get a reman from parts.com for about 100.00 much safer than a junk part. If your gonna replace this then you should also replace the expansion valve, and the seperator/drier at the same time. drier 50-75 and the expansion valve 50-60. you can get these at any good parts store. The labor to get at the latter two items is a P.I.T.A. but should be done. Recommend changing over to 134A for cost reasons and getting a shop with a vacume to refill the system for you.
        Theres a lot of details left out of this but if you follow all the threads about a/c repair on this sight you will get a good idea of the them. If you go the route of getting it done, you are looking at major cost for new compressor and labor for all entailed.

------------------
        Brazzy
        Formerly abused 87 G.W. 162k stock
        TOW,PKG,727,229,360
        THE ROLLING REBUILD
        Brazzy<BR>Formerly abused 87 G.W. 175k<BR>TOW,PKG,727,229,360<BR>2.5\" Rancho softride AAL<BR>T.F.I. Mod<BR>The Chariot

Comment

• Skye
          232 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

Jordo! TAKE NOTES!

I have to do the same thing to mine. Make sure you keep tabs on your progress and email me the info! I have an 83 too.

SEE:

------------------
          83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all

Comment

• Skye
            232 I6
            • Apr 09, 2000

Jordo! TAKE NOTES!

I have to do the same thing to mine. Make sure you keep tabs on your progress and email me the info! I have an 83 too.

SEE:

------------------

Comment

• Brenton
              232 I6
              • May 01, 2000

Well, I'm looking at these posts and thinking there are good points in there, and not so good points in there. The fact of the matter is, to get A/C done RIGHT. it requires special equipment. Your system may be perfectly fine, and you just got no cold juice. mebbe you got cold juice, and no compressor to push it around. If you got no cold juice, you prolly got a leak - these can be tough to find without special equipment, and you don't wanna juice up R-12 'just to see'. You gotta have a license to get it, and it costs like a million dollars a can, and yull need more than one.
              If you have a bad compressor, then you'll have to open up the system to replace it. Opening up means new R-12. You may then find you have other problems, or a leak on top of it. If you're worried about cost, the general rule I follow is to get it right the first time, and spend whatever it costs. Otherwise you can get nickel and dimed.
              Look into converting to 134. Even though it's not as top notch as R-12, it's cheaper. Once you convert to the other stuff, then I'd go to town on fixing it myself. If you intend to stick with R-12 - I think I'd just take it into a shop - pay to have it diagnosed, and then work it from there.
              But you are right - I won't take my truck to anyone who isn't going to love it as much as I do. Find a mechanic who sounds like he loves what he does, then pay him to get it right.
              A/C isn't necessarily any more complex than any other system in your vehicle. The difference is prohibitive costs involved in the necessary equipment - That's why these guys break off a limb for payment. But like any other system in your vehicle (mebbe more so), you can find yourself up against a stumper stone trying to figure out what's wrong - exactly.

Another .02 - If we keep it up yull get rich

Brenton

Comment

• Shane
                258 I6
                • May 04, 2000

Why do you need a new compressor? Is it siezed? If you had a noisy compressor before, when it worked, it needs replacing, if it was quiet before it is probably ok. I have done many A/C jobs (I am certified) and rarely replaced compressors. Most often it was a freon leak, seals are cheap so don't hesitate to change them all. When it is low on freon it will not engage the compressor clutch. If the clutch engages and turns but doesn't cool it could be a compressor.
                Just another thought, are your temp. doors operating properly, are your fuses all ok, is the belt tight enough.

Shane

------------------
                1982 J10 Model 25
                My Daily driver since
                1982 J10 Model 25 Pioneer D44,258(.030"over),T5,NP208,AMC20. 1986 Grand Wagoneer D44,360-4bl,727,NP228,AMC20. 1987 Grand Wagoneer D44,360,727,NP229,D44

Comment

• JERRY88GW
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 09, 2000

I agree with Shane.
                  Earlier this year my AC was blowing strong, but with no cold air. The compressor wont cut on unless there is a sufficient amount of freon in the system. I went to autozone and bought a $30 kit of 134. All the tools were in the kit for me to do this myself. I put like half a can into the system and the compressor cut on, and the air was COLD! Try this before you buy a new compressor, it could save you a lot of money.

Also, I think Brazzy got a new compressor from JCWhitney for like 60 - 70 dollars. Aparently it works fine.

Comment

• Ralph
                    Third Member
                    • Apr 11, 2000

I went to http://www.macsw.org, ordered a take-home test for $15, took the test and mailed it in, and received a license to buy R-12. NAPA sells 16-oz. cans for $31; Advance Auto sells 12-oz. cans for $22; and PepBoys sells 12-oz. cans for $20. At any given time, many of these cans are available on eBay, but not much cheaper.

[This message has been edited by Ralph (edited August 04, 2000).]
                    We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• Aaron
                      258 I6
                      • May 18, 2000

I'll sell you a compressor for $20 plus shipping, it is used and off and 83
                      1986 Grand Wagoneer <br /><a href=\"http://www.onlysaabs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.onlysaabs.com</a>

Comment

• EEVW
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 12, 2000

Jerry88GW: Help!...My wife won't rise in my Jeep cause its an oven!

I bought one of those Interdynamic R134 kits ($39 bucks at Pep Boys...ouch!). Put the low side fitting on the top hose going into compresssor. Turned the T valve, and the gas wouldn't flow into the system.

I have an 88 GW with a standard looking compressor just to the left of the engine. I think I had the low side because the fitting would only match up to the top hose on the comp. and the coupling on the hose in the kit.

I see no bubbles in the site glass. The compressor clutch won't engage ( I'm assuming because there is no charge). When I disconnect the low pressure wire that activates the comp. and tap it to a positive lead the clutch on the comp kicks in, but no cold air. By the way when i "hotwire" the comp. I can see just a litte liquid in the sight glass frothing up...not much though.

Is there another valve I need to open to let the gas flow, or any suggestions.

Steve VW (88GW 360/727/N229/Edel 4bbl/mani)
                        Greenville,SC ( 'bought 95 degress, and 100% humidity

Comment

• JERRY88GW
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 09, 2000

EEVW, I was a little confused by those nossles also. But, the right nossels will only fit the ones that they are supposed to go on.

As for as putting coolent into the system, you just have to be patiant with it. Make sure you read the directions on how to do it. When I put the 134 into the system, I had the GW running and the a.c. on high. (ofcourse the compressor was not running though.) Then I just let the coolent flow ,slowley, into the system. In about two minutes the compressor cut on, and I got cold air.

I hope this helps,

Jerry

Comment

• Shane
                            258 I6
                            • May 04, 2000

With these R134 kits, did you guys have R134 instaled before or was it R12. The bigest diference in the systems is that the refrigerant oil from the R12 system is mineral based and the R134 refrigerant oil is synthetic. The two wont work in the other refrigerants(they dont mix), therefore the old oil must be drained and the new stuf installed.

Shane

------------------
                            1982 J10 Model 25
                            My Daily driver since
                            1982 J10 Model 25 Pioneer D44,258(.030"over),T5,NP208,AMC20. 1986 Grand Wagoneer D44,360-4bl,727,NP228,AMC20. 1987 Grand Wagoneer D44,360,727,NP229,D44

Comment

• Skye
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 09, 2000

Do you think a 83 would have the 134 or the other?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X