good 20-250 inch pound 3/8 torque wrench recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

good 20-250 inch pound 3/8 torque wrench recommendation?

looking for one thats reasonably accurate and under 100 bucks - any tips? it has to be proven/ tested by you to be quality....no amazon reviews please

steve
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • asphaltrockdweller
    350 Buick
    • Jul 09, 2009

I bought one from Summit racing that is 3/8" 25-250 ftlbs that has done really well for me.

Free Shipping - Performance Tool Torque Wrenches with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Torque Wrenches at Summit Racing.

I was doing some work on my XJ, and needed one really fast, not to mentioned I had an order I was putting together anyways with them at the time. They are really fast on shipping too.
    (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

I bought my last one from Summit also. You can't beat their return policy or their pretty consistent quality. Mine was 4 feet long and I think topped out at 350 FT/lbs. I needed it for putting together an old dozer.
      Be sure to remember to unwind the thimble and release all the tension if it is a click type before storing it back in the drawer. That keeps them accurate longer.
      So a second vote for Summit.
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra
      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

thanks guys - but i need INCH pound wrench not FT pound
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

Dont you just convert it and use a LB wrench?

I think I read that in the chilton book or somewhere. Cant recall if its 12:1 or 16:1
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Tripwire
            thanks guys - but i need INCH pound wrench not FT pound

I got that Trip. Summit sells those to. I figured you would go look. My main point was how Summit is a pretty good place to spend your money.

EDIT: Here... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-m197/overview/ It IS inch pounds. And 3/8 drive. I think asphaltrockdweller meant to say inch pounds. Perfect....
            Melford1972 says...
            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra
            2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
            Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

The one I have experience with that I listed from Summit is inch pounds.
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

You get what you pay for, it will work but really how accurate will it be? I use my snap on( professional mechanic for 30 years) and yes it was expensive but it is accurate even today after many years.

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

looking for one thats reasonably accurate and under 100 bucks - any tips? it has to be proven/ tested by you to be quality....no amazon reviews please

steve
                  Do you want dial, click or beam? I have the 1/4" drive Neiko beam type wrench, which I bought to set preload on steering gears. I'd think any beam-type wrench would be fine for something like that. I have 3/8" clickers, but nothing with inch-pound range.

You could step up to one of the mid-range brands like GearWrench - https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-29..._encoding=UTF8 - Design and construction of these is awfully simple, and I expect the cheaper brands would work just as well.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Tripwire
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 30, 2000

Thanks, for the replies I have a friend who owns a BMW racing shop who will lend me one for.......changing the spark plugs on my Caddy SRX which requires removing the Intake Manifold

since I am going in that deep I'm changing all six coil packs as well - nothing like a 500 dollar spark plug change
                    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• ShagWagon
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by ShagWagon
                      Dont you just convert it and use a LB wrench?

I think I read that in the chilton book or somewhere. Cant recall if its 12:1 or 16:1
                      So is this not the right way? Converting inches to pounds?
                      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• Tripwire
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 30, 2000

yes its math and works sometimes - but however if you need to tighten something to say 120 inch pounds your probably have a hard time finding a accurate Ft Lb torque wrench that goes down to 10 Ft pounds
                        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• ShagWagon
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 10, 2016

yes its math and works sometimes - but however if you need to tighten something to say 120 inch pounds your probably have a hard time finding a accurate Ft Lb torque wrench that goes down to 10 Ft pounds
                          Okay great! I just wanted to make sure and verify it. Sometimes I do things that may be dangerous or wrong because I donT have as much experience and quite understand them. I just learned there was a such thing last year when I looked up the torque in the chiltons book for some(I cant even remember what for) bolts and it was so low.Kinda freaked me out because I thought I might have to go buy another tool or something but when I googled it it said to convert it.
                          Last edited by ShagWagon; 02-01-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X