• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

Decent springs for Spring Over

I'm tired of changing out Stock springs every trail ride. I like the flex they have and the soft ride, but they are too old and just don't last. Wouldn't mind a little extra lift with some new springs (2" or so) but want the same soft ride and flex. What does everyone have with their spring over, and how do they hold up? I'm considering custom springs made, but want to hear about the other options and experience (how long they last, ride, flex). The other combo I'm looking at is ranco 44044's and chevy's, But I don't really want to change the wheelbase and move my rear hangars back more.
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7
    http://gfsj.org/forums
    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
  • -Bluegill-
    258 I6
    • Oct 09, 2007

I was impressed with the ride quality & flex of the 44044's on Tony's "Big Pig". Dunno about the Chebbies though - my only experience with them is on Yota trucks - they flex like crazy.
    -Rob
    www.TNFSJ.org
    www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
    2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

The 44044's dont seem to hold up. I wonder how a new set of stock or 2" springs from BJ's would hold up? Also, are you running bump stops to prevent them from over compressing?

Comment

• jeeping1974
        360 AMC
        • Jun 17, 2007

I'm replacing the front springs on my j10 with either 2" or 4" leaf springs from BJ's, I just have not made up my mind which way to go yet. I'm thinking 4" for me since I have almost no weight in the back end.
        03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
        06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• etjeep
          350 Buick
          • Oct 03, 2003

Dan,
          This may not help your problem, but how many leaves were in the packs that you are bending? IIRC there was a 4-leaf pack and 7-leaf pack made. I don't know if there is a correlation? I have a 4-leaf waiting for me to do the SOA but hearing this, I don't know if I should just take a leaf out of my 4" lift springs instead. My SOA project will not happen until over the next winter. I wonder if anyone else who wheels is bending them up like you?
          Later.....
          Eric

Comment

• cajun_lad
            350 Buick
            • Feb 17, 2006

Or you could run SOA w/ 4" lift springs.
            Joey
            Jeep-Less

Comment

• trcooperone
              258 I6
              • Feb 23, 2007

I used stock GW springs that had where a 7 leaf pack and they where way to soft and they where just about inverted with just the engine weight. They also didn't match the lift in the rear.

I made my own pack. I use an old dodge ramcharge 4" pack with a few of the original GW pack and make a pack that gave me about a 3" lift which worked perfect to matck 63" chevys in-boarded in the rear
              1976 Cherokee Chief w/401, SOA and chevy 63" springs in the back, Dana 60 in the front and Dana 70 rear welded, dana 20 twin sticked, and 38" TSL's

Comment

• jeeper4life
                232 I6
                • Apr 20, 2008

What springs

I went with bds springs on the front because I'm sprung over and didn't have to have too much spring wrap. I have had good luck with them not twisting too much in other jeeps that were spung over. The leafs are thicker than most sets I've seen but are soft riding and do flex well. I've also heard if you bend them bds will replace them, no questions, but I've never bent them. Here's a picture of the jeep were running them on. We've not had a problem with axle wrap yet and It has 41" Irocs and Dana 60's with an Arb in the front and a detroit in the rear.

This jeep also ramps over 2000 on a 20 degree rti ramp. It's the only jeep around here to ever max out a local four wheel drive shop's ramp here in town. The ramp is about 7 feet tall.
                Erik

Comment

• etjeep
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 03, 2003

Originally posted by cajun_lad
                  Or you could run SOA w/ 4" lift springs.
                  Joey,
                  Is that what you are running?
                  Later.....
                  Eric

Comment

• cajun_lad
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by etjeep
                    Joey,
                    Is that what you are running?
                    Yes sir.

Fairly broken in BJ's 4" lift springs front and rear. SOA front and Tad's shackle flip rear. I cleared 40" tires with no fender trimming. But since I am running J10 axles on a NT Chero, I had to trim some for flex clearance.
                    Joey
                    Jeep-Less

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 06, 2004

Dan,
                      I have been running a set of 1-2inch taller than stock custom Alcan springs on my SOA for over two years now. I went through three sets of stock spring finally taking one out at Moab. Ordered the Alcans and never looked back. Flex is fantastic and the springs since being installed have only settled around .5-inch.

When it comes to SOA and our heavy pigs, the key is to have the second leaf extend all the way under the two spring eyes, main eye being hte most critical. The stock springs don't do this and is why they turn into 'Ss' when you hit the brakes hard. I think my front packs are 7 or 8 leaves, would need to check. Just call Tom at Alcn, tell him what you've got and what you want and they can do it. Fast service, excellent product and very durable. I think it was around $550.00 for the front leaves.

Hope this helps.
                      Kevin.
                      \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

Alcans

Alcan Spring builds the finest custom leaf spring suspension on the planet! Built American strong with American steel. We customize all vehicles - see how.
                        Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                        I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                        Originally posted by johnny019
                        I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• youngjeeper
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jan 24, 2003

Brandon..Yeah, I extended the bumpstops long ago to limit the compression of the springs, but I think it's just the fact that all the springs I'm getting are 20+ years old. I was considering *new* stock springs, but wouldn't want to waste the money, wanted to hear if anyone had experience with that first.

Eric, The springs one the front I believe have all been 7 leaf, and 5 leaf in the rear. Not positive on the rear, Jeep is in GA right now so can't really go and check.

If BDS has a "bend return guarentee" that may be a nice option.

I'd like something a little higher than stock..about 2-2.5" so I can take off my body lift and bring the COG down a tad.

Kevin and Nick, I've hear nothing but good from Alcan, and I think they have a break a spring return guarentee too?

Keep the comments coming..I still have awhile to figure things out, still have to figure out what to do about the roof (try to fix or chop the top?)
                          88' GW Stock & Mint
                          77' CJ-7
                          http://gfsj.org/forums
                          Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
                          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• -Bluegill-
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 09, 2007

My plan (budget minded, btw) is to make a b@st@rd pack from my stock leaves & YJ leaves, for ~1.5" lift. My stockers have done good so far, but I lost ~1.25" of height from bolting on the 230lbs of bumper & winch.
                            -Rob
                            www.TNFSJ.org
                            www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
                            2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

My next set will be Alcans... unless I link the front and yes they will typically hook you up if one snaps but I haven't heard many that have.
                              Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                              I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                              Originally posted by johnny019
                              I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X