• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chero77
    350 Buick
    • Jun 24, 2000

The Zone has air ducts!

I was at the local Zone the other night and low and behold, they had "air duct" hose in the 2 1/2 inch diamater that fits my defrosters. Cool. Even better, in bright green packages, they had "fresh air intake ducts" in several diameters. Walked out and measured mine and promptly picked up a new duct. Will have to epoxy it to old clamps this weekend. I remember some people were asking if there was a souce for these ducts. So I thought I would post this to the group.

On a related topic, I have noticed that a lot of people here run open element air cleaners. I had just sort of assumed that our engines ran to hot for these and installing one would probably cause a loss in power. They sure do look good though. Any opinnions on whether open element air cleaners improve, detract, or have no effect on the performance of our engines?
    \'73 AMX Javelin 401 (work in progress), \'77 WT Cherokee.
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

I'm using the Edelbrock Pro Flow air cleaner, and am having a minor problem with fuel perculation. Of course, 100+ ambient temps aren't helping any, but it's only been this week that's it's come up. I'm having to richen the mix a little to counter it.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Snakeyes_Tx
      304 AMC
      • Apr 09, 2000

Funny thing... my 86 J-20 that had a hopped up motor and transmission, with open element breather and no emissions and 3.73's was SLOWER than my 83 Bone stock Wag with 2.72's.

I don't think they're beneficial in this super heat.
      Hrm... my old sig is broken.. new to follow soon.

Comment

• Mud Thrasher
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 21, 2001

They say it's not good because your motor likes cool air. I haven't had this prob yet here in Baton Rouge,la but I know that it doesn't help that jeep didn't include a fan shroud on my cherokee. Gonna make one just haven't had the time yet.
        1988 Grand Wag, stock for now

Comment

• Chero77
          350 Buick
          • Jun 24, 2000

I think a dual snorkel air cleaner would be a good modification for our rigs. I suppose the local U-pick yards are not going to have any AMC air cleaners, but perhaps a Ford or GM unit will work. I am going to put making a dual snokel air cleaner on my things to do someday list.

Can't modify the original of course, or I won't pass smog.
          \'73 AMX Javelin 401 (work in progress), \'77 WT Cherokee.

Comment

• trssho
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 16, 2000

Check out this link for some cool air cleaner assemblies.

http://andersonphotog.com/default.aspx

Comment

• jharte
              232 I6
              • Nov 09, 2000

Hmmmm....I started having some problems with my 91Wag after changing to an open element air cleaner. I may try a dual snorkle this weekend to see what difference it makes. The temps here in KC have been in the upper 90s and low 100s for a while. BTW, cool website!

Jerry H.
              Jerry H.<BR>91 Grand Wag.<BR>The American Legend...

Comment

• reddog
                304 AMC
                • Jul 26, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave _S:
                I think a dual snorkel air cleaner would be a good modification for our rigs. I suppose the local U-pick yards are not going to have any AMC air cleaners, but perhaps a Ford or GM unit will work. I am going to put making a dual snokel air cleaner on my things to do someday list.

Can't modify the original of course, or I won't pass smog.
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet that if you get an the parts to modify it from an original air cleaner and use the vacuum motors in the snorkel in parallel with the first snorkel that it would pass - of course not technically!

Kerry
                87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

Working...
                X