International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > For Sale: Complete Vehicles (Need not run, must be complete, no parting out)

Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 PM
350 Buick

'81 J10 Honcho Sportside

I'm finishing up a bare metal redo on the subject truck (documented in the "Build Threads") . It should be finished in a couple of months. It's a mild street rod build, but I have all the parts to reverse the body channel if off-road or factory is your preference. The return to stock is quite simple....replace the modified radiator support panel, which is at the heart of the body channel. An unmodified spare is included in the sale. I also have the original "fat" roll bar, the front bumper, manual crank windows, large door mirrors, and a pair of spare front fenders with side running lights. (These parts go with the truck and are not for sale separately). The only original exterior items missing are the rear bumper, the muscle grill (traded for the pristine razor), and the white spoke wheels. I'm the second owner...for over 30 years. I'm guesstimating it has about 120,000 miles. The engine was rebuilt (pistons, rings, valve job, bearings, etc.) at roughly the 100,00 mile mark when the Edelbrock cam, carb and manifold were also installed. The build thread and my info line below pretty much describe the current configuration of the truck. Of course there were only 1264 flair side Honchos built in all years. This one was originally dark blue with the light blue striping package. It will have original, functional factory AC reinstalled when it's finished. This is just a heads up that it will be sold. I'll set a price when it's done...probably in the high teens/low twenties. It will look much the same as in these old photos, but the paint will be satin instead of near flat black and the tires are currently staggered front/rear. PM me if you have questions or are interested.

DSCN2691-1 by Rufus, on Flickr

DSCN6044 by Rufus, on Flickr
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 09-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:29 PM
232 I6

PM sent.
3. Children ( Lane )
4. Work
5. Wagoneer

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM
350 Buick

The refurbish should be as done as it's going to get under my stewardship by the end of next week. You can check it out in detail on my thread in the Build Section. Asking price is $16K...no dickering. It goes to Streetside or Gateway if no interest here. At a minimum, they will both jack the price to earn their commission. I'm happy to answer questions in this string or in a PM. As an aside, I easily have $5K in this refurbish (not counting labor).

By the way, I've been driving the truck off and on the last couple of weeks. Oil pressure is 50 psi at start and settles at 40psi at cruise when warmed up. No drive line leaks.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:15 PM
350 Buick

Thumbs up

I have seen this truck and met the owner...
He is meticulous about everything he does
This "J" is a really a great one.
Buyer will NOT be disappointed
Old 01-03-2020, 12:03 PM
350 Buick

For anyone not looking at the build thread here's a current photo after a wash and wheel cleanup. It's now on Craigslist and will go to Streetside in Fort Worth if it doesn't sell in the next month. I'll continue to clean and fix nits until then. (That strip of blue tape is to keep the dog from scratching the paint when he flops out the window).

DSCN1938 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM
350 Buick

I took the truck over to Streetside in Fort Worth yesterday. They have a flat fee of $2500 for consigning a vehicle with an expected sale (in the seller's pocket) price under $20,000. It's 12.5% for vehicles netting over $20,000 for the seller. So, I'm putting my thinking cap on regarding what this thing could bring if it's advertised nationally and internationally on the 30+ sites they use including Hemmings, Ebay, Autotrader, Craigslist and the rest. If you set your "sell" (in your pocket) price too high, they won't take the consignment.

The sales staff and I agreed it's obviously a "driver" category street truck that a new owner could take in a lot of different directions while using it. Being a clean, rust free step side, is a big plus. We agreed that offroaders will tend to dismiss it because it's not lifted and doesn't sport big mud tires. And they agree with the Hagerty assessment that old SUVs and 4x4's are solid investments. So, it's an interesting dilemma. One thing is for sure...it needs much wider exposure. The Streetside guys mentioned that a surprising percentage of their inventory goes to Europe. Anyway, they think they can move the truck and get me what I'm quoting here amongst us Jeep types. That would put the Streetside sale price in the high teens at a minimum..."asking" would end up in the low $20s or more. They're willing to give it a shot. Maybe I should test how high Streetside would be willing to go and still take it on. They seemed pretty enthusiastic as it's "unique". I'm fairly pumped that at least they think it's of good enough quality to place it in their inventory. Any thoughts regarding a sell strategy?

Last edited by Towtruck : 01-22-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:35 PM
258 I6

My dad sold a car through them and agreed on a price he needed. It ended up selling for much higher and while he ended up getting what he needed he was pissed that he missed out on so much more potential profits. They do know what they are doing for sure, as my local show room is always fully stocked and rotating constantly.

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!
Old 01-22-2020, 01:57 PM
350 Buick

Yes, that's a common complaint. I've thought about attempting to cut a deal where excess profits get split between us. But I doubt they'd go for it. As you point out they make a lot off selling well above your "in the pocket" price. Given the high $2500 consignment fee, it would be especially irksome if they pulled off a $25K sale (with an in my pocket value of $16K). They make a big show of "making you happy" at the front end, but they also don't mind making you unhappy on the back end. That's why it's important to get the "in your pocket" number as high as they're willing to go for consignment.

They do move a lot of cars...the store manager said they sold 42 vehicles from a 280 inventory last month. By the way, one of their guys let it slip that they occasionally buy cars off of Bring a Trailer for resale.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:48 PM
350 Buick

....a couple photos with the original Honcho roll bar reinstalled...

DSCN2152 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN2155 by Rufus, on Flickr
Old Today, 10:30 AM
out of order

I would exhaust all options before agreeing to get hosed by consignment.
That is a very nice truck and buyers are out there.
If it was me I'd try to sell it myself.