• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autoarcheologist
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2011

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
    I'd pull as much off of that wag in pick n pull as you can.
    I hear you. I'd love to save them all. There are 4 in yards here in Portland right now. Unfortunately with a full time job, 4 year old, and another on the way I only get a little time to work on them, and I'd rather work on mine than pack and ship stuff.

It is a shame that they're going through Pick-n-pull where they go to the crusher with lots of good parts. Is there a FSJ wrecking yard? There's a great Alfa wrecking yard in the Bay Area, where 80% of west coast Alfa's end up when they're too far gone.
    Looking for Jeep enthusiasts to check out Jeeps and other classic cars and trucks for potential buyers. Learn more at www.jewelorjalopy.com

1973 Jeep Wagoneer Custom - 360 4V - sold
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina
    1966 Shasta Compact - 13' - sold
    1966 Streamline Countess 26'

Comment

• autoarcheologist
      232 I6
      • Jun 12, 2011

Originally posted by SEdmonds
      Welcome. Having a survivor is great - and they clean up so nice.
      Yours certainly did! I just glanced at your site, and she's a beaut. I love the split bench front seat. I need to find a green one with good front fenders, I'm afraid if I replace the fenders it will lead to a full paint job, and I don't want to go there.
      Looking for Jeep enthusiasts to check out Jeeps and other classic cars and trucks for potential buyers. Learn more at www.jewelorjalopy.com

1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

Comment

• BBB
        232 I6
        • Aug 09, 2009

Congratulations, that's a great looking Wagoneer!

If you want to keep the stock radio and use an ipod, etc, you could get some kind of preamp controller. Here's the one I used:

They're handy because you can switch back and forth between the radio and an ipod, and control the volume from one spot. Also small enough to probably hide in the glove compartment or mount next to your trailer brake.

This unit is pretty pricey, but very nice and made in the USA unlike most electronics. I would imagine there are other similar units out there for less money.
        '78 Wagoneer- "Ginger"
        almost stock w/ a few odds and ends
        360 4bbl
        TH400
        Quadratrac

Comment

• falmen
          232 I6
          • Mar 08, 2010

Wow, its my twin!!
          Attached Files
          I really need to attend AA (Automotive Anonymous) meetings to help with my addiction. Wanna join?
          1973 Wagoneer Custom, TBI 350, 700R4

Comment

• Driftwood
            350 Buick
            • Jun 12, 2000

Awesome find! Same woody style as my 79. That paint should shine right up with a little rubbing compound.
            1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• autoarcheologist
              232 I6
              • Jun 12, 2011

Originally posted by falmen
              Wow, its my twin!!
              It is! Green interior too? Yours looks to be in a bit better shape, congrats.

1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 07, 2011

Nice Jeep!!!
                Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
                1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
                1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• FSJunkie
                  The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                  • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by autoarcheologist
                  I hear you. I'd love to save them all. There are 4 in yards here in Portland right now. Unfortunately with a full time job, 4 year old, and another on the way I only get a little time to work on them, and I'd rather work on mine than pack and ship stuff.

It is a shame that they're going through Pick-n-pull where they go to the crusher with lots of good parts. Is there a FSJ wrecking yard? There's a great Alfa wrecking yard in the Bay Area, where 80% of west coast Alfa's end up when they're too far gone.
                  Actually the Jeep on that site is mine.....IF you have any questions about restoring your 73 just send me a message, I would be glad to help.
                  Last edited by FSJunkie; 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM.
                  '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• SEdmonds
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 08, 2010

Indeed - the 72 Wagoneer is Matt's, and he's justifiably proud of it - I did the website before he was on line - tried to transfer it to him yesterday and appeared to hacve deleted it - or at least disabled it. Argh!
                    http://www.1965Rambler.weebly.com

Comment

• falmen
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 08, 2010

Originally posted by autoarcheologist
                      It is! Green interior too? Yours looks to be in a bit better shape, congrats.
                      Yep, same interior. At first I thought someone stole my waggy. Had to go make sure it was still in garage...
                      I really need to attend AA (Automotive Anonymous) meetings to help with my addiction. Wanna join?
                      1973 Wagoneer Custom, TBI 350, 700R4

Comment

• Rod2
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 11, 2004

"After buying her I realized that the '74 had a few nice upgrades, like the front disks. Can a '74 or later axle be swapped in easily? I'm much prefer disk brakes, but it would likely be easier to run some cooling ducts to the drums for towing through the mountains."

Don't dis the drums right off. I still have all drums, although they are 12 inchers. Repair parts are still available because they were sourced from other brands. If you have a vacuum booster that is weak, consider hydro boost. See Elliot's posts under "where to get stuff" (or something like that). It is not as pricy nor as intensive as changing axles nor adding discs.
                        Speaking of axle changing, you probably have your front axle under the springs whereas later, disc equipped axles are on top of the springs-- major remodeling.
                        Rod Skaggs
                        '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• autoarcheologist
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 12, 2011

Originally posted by Rod2
                          "After buying her I realized that the '74 had a few nice upgrades, like the front disks. Can a '74 or later axle be swapped in easily? I'm much prefer disk brakes, but it would likely be easier to run some cooling ducts to the drums for towing through the mountains."

Don't dis the drums right off. I still have all drums, although they are 12 inchers. Repair parts are still available because they were sourced from other brands. If you have a vacuum booster that is weak, consider hydro boost. See Elliot's posts under "where to get stuff" (or something like that). It is not as pricy nor as intensive as changing axles nor adding discs.
                          Speaking of axle changing, you probably have your front axle under the springs whereas later, disc equipped axles are on top of the springs-- major remodeling.
                          I'm ok with the drums so far, but we bought her to tow a bigger trailer, and I'd like better brakes before towing anything much bigger than we currently have. Cooling ducts would be a simple, cheap upgrade.

I believe ours currently has the axle on top of the spring, but I'll look into that. I don't have time for major remodeling right now!

1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

Comment

• autoarcheologist
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 12, 2011

I was reminded of the old phrase "if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over again?" as I was changing the clamps on the fuel lines.... again. We went to take her to pick up a playhouse for my daughter this weekend, and after starting her I noticed a drip coming from under the front. Sure enough the new fuel filter and lines were dripping, thanks to the stupid, cheap clamps I used. Had to run back to the garage, find a couple real fuel clamps, and redo them. Hopefully she'll start easier if she's not draining her fuel all the way back to the hard line every time I stop!

I also noticed more vacuum lines disconnected, including the bomb which controls the heater controls. That explains why we weren't getting any airflow through her this weekend. I hooked that line to the same fitting as the brake booster, but I think the vapor canister is currently unhooked. I spent a few min last night reviewing the service manual, the feature to advance the ignition timing to jump the idle at 225 degrees to help with cooling is a neat trick. Not connected on ours of course.

I'm mostly concerned with getting the heater, PVC, distributor advance, and vapor canister working. But I also want to check the air intake door, and probably replace all the old rubber lines.

1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

Comment

• 1jeep4me
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 27, 2001

great stuff!
                              Jenny SOLD
                              1982 Cherokee Chief Wide Track
                              4 inch lift
                              360 ci Edelbrock carb and intake
                              Daisy
                              1970 Wagoneer by Kaiser
                              350 Buick/Turbo 400
                              3.73:1 Limited slip
                              41K original miles
                              Lilly
                              SOLD your a good girl LILLY!
                              1973 Commando by Jeep
                              304 2V 3:73 Limited Slip
                              3 Speed
                              93K original miles

Comment

• autoarcheologist
                                232 I6
                                • Jun 12, 2011

I'm trying a little experiment tonight. I started her up and let her warm up so I can see how quickly she starts in the morning tomorrow. I'm hoping the fuel line fixes keep it from draining too much.

I also got a chance to see the cool green glow of the dashboard tonight, very cool!

The heater flaps seem to be working again since I hooked up the vacuum ball, yay!

And when I pulled off one of the headlight trim rings to adjust the headlights it started to dim. The ground screw then fell out. I got the headlights at least pointed mostly in the right direction, and replaced that ground screw so the light is nice and bright. Not bad for 15 min.

Next up, checking/replacing the rest of the fuel lines, then the vacuum lines.

1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

Comment

Working...
                                X