• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Transmission problem?

I just went out to clean off warm up the Cherokee so I can make a trip into town, we just got 6" of snow.

Here's the confusing thing for me. (since I know minimal about transmissions)

Sitting in it with it running and the T-18 transmission in neutral when I let out the clutch the engine RPM's drop a little and the Jeep feels like it wants to ease forward, it don't move but just feels like it's in gear and your slipping the clutch just barely.......BUT it's in NEUTRAL?!?!

Give it some gas and it still don't move forward but pulls just enough to barely feel it in the seat of your pants.....make sense?

WTH can be causing this? something internal in the transmission?

It don't seem like a clutch problem to me.....but, what do I know.

Feels like while in neutral one of the forward gears is "dragging" or something internal maybe. Is this even possible in a manual transmission?
  • jsinajeep
    304 AMC
    • Nov 26, 2005

Sound like the tranny oil is to heavy [thicker in cold weather]
    http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• mwood65
      258 I6
      • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by jsinajeep
      Sound like the tranny oil is to heavy [thicker in cold weather]

I wondered about that since after getting back home it didn't seem to do it.

It was & is still quite cold here....colder than normal!

May be that the Jeep will get a work-out this week, I have seen weather reports calling for anywhere between 9" - 30" of snow Thur. thru Friday!

Got the plow on the ATV, The Jeep is filled up and the shovel's are by the door...LOL

Gonna see if I can re-route the snow down to Globe !!!

Comment

Could be thick oil or pilot bearing is a little dry. Hopefully nothing to do with thrust bearings in the motor. Slightly heat warped clutch disc can stick a bit first thing in the AM too
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
        X