• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j350
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 22, 2006

SOA/draglink (Z-link)

should the zlink be in a horizontal plane with tie rod or a slight up hill like stock? 8"soa

Thanks J350
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

As they say, the way the zlink points is inconsequential to the steering of the rig (if I understand you correctly). The "Z" is only there to allow the suspension to clear the tie rod. Since the starting and ending points are the same regardless of the angle of the Z, then it makes no difference if the "Z" is an "S" or a "L" cause the starting and sto[pping points stay the same.

Was that your question?
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• j350
      230 Tornado
      • Aug 22, 2006

drag link

I guess its more like a s link .Yes its to clear the leaf spring .Does the s link also help with the bump steer.

Comment

• Hammer
        304 AMC
        • Apr 25, 2002

Doesn't help with bumpsteer at all.
        Like Jode said, it's only to help clear suspension components like leaf springs.

The only way to improve bump steer, is to have both ends of the drag link parrallel to the ground. Or high steer arms, and/or drop pitman arms.

On my dana 60 front, I have a high steer arm that moves the drag link far enough above the spring that I actually need a FLAT pitman arm to keep it all level.
        78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

Originally posted by j350
          I guess its more like a s link .Yes its to clear the leaf spring .Does the s link also help with the bump steer.
          No... it does not help.... the only advantage is clearance of the spring... you will retain all the bump steer since your point-to-point did not change ( the angle is still the same if you draw a line between the two ends)

It can be dangerous if you lose control with a zlink and even unsafe if fabbed up poorly...

Save your $$$ and do a X-Over setup at a minimum.... you'll be happier and safer.
          Todd
          www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
          X