• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • godaddy
    232 I6
    • Jun 08, 2011

So frustrated....

Been doing a 360 rebuild and just need to come vent to the fellow FSJ clan that might get it. This is my first rebuild of an engine at the ripe age of 39, well, let me back up and say i started it at 38. It has just been one thing after another.

I really didn't set a budget so not complaining about the money but putting it back together has been a pain in the butt. Don't get me wrong, I have had a blast working on this thing. My 88 Waggy has taught me a lot and I love getting my hands greasy after a long day at work, but if it can go wrong - it has! Some mistakes were my ignorance, some rushing, some rookie, some just stupidity.

Let me back up a few days. I fired it up on Monday night. Sweet baby Jesus it was awesome. To build something and actually have it work is a great feeling. My wife cheered me on, I actually thought I was free and clear and just needed to put the hood back on... Yeah, keep thinking bonehead. Start looking around. No oil leaking - check. No fuel leaking - check (my wife laughed at me when I was hauling out a fire extingusher to the garage). Water leak - dang it! I have water leaking on the front timing cover just above the harmonic balancer. Take a closer look and I forgot to put the bolt on in that particular location, which explains the extra bolt I couldn't figure out why I had left over! Tired and feeling a little defeated, I head back in the house to chill for the rest of the night after what should have been a major victory.

Tuesday I spent tearing apart the serpentine and pulling the harmonic balancer. I put so much junk on that bolt thread and in that hole I had gook spewing all over as I torqued it down. Getting that harmonic balancer back on laying on my back was a complete pain in the butt. My arms kept falling asleep b/c of the position. I finally get it all buttoned back up and fire it up and start her up. Success, except the fact that she is running so hard that it feels like it is going to jump out of the garage in neutral. Tune the carb tomorrow.

Tonight, I am playing with all of the settings on my Holley carb like a monkey using a phone. I am turning stuff like I know what I am doing but truth is each thing I do is just making it worse. I had a carb backfire that I am sure was reported as a gun shot from my neighbors... I am starting and stopping the jeep quite often. I start looking on youtube and find some great how to videos. Just as I think I am making head way the battery went dead. So here I am typing to you guys. Tomorrow I need to go to my local vatozone and get the battery recharged so I can start all over and see if I actually started figuring it out.

I have more stories about this build but there isn't enough space on the internet. Pictures to follow because I know everyone here loves pictures... Oh and thanks for listening, or reading, I needed to get my frustration off of my chest.
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - My first Jeep and I love her!

Rebuilt AMC 360 - RV Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake , Holley 600CFM carburetor.
    Rebuilt torqueflight 727
    Currently working on interior with new carpet, cargo panels, new radio and new speakers
  • REDONE
    304 AMC
    • Aug 19, 2002

Keep moving forward!

What I love most about being a member of this very lose and very unofficial "association" is living vicariously through those who are doing things for the first time. The blood the sweat, the tears...

Buy a battery charger. A decent Schumacher 2/10 amp is only about $30 and comes in handy more often than you think. Check goodwill, might get lucky and score one for $5!

Also, check your ignition connections and timing before you dink with the carb too much more, might save yourself some carb repairs and burnt eyebrows.
    2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
    79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
    304/T18/D20/D44s
    What's been did:
    Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
    MSD Streetfire based TFI
    Custom-hack gauge cluster
    Razor swap
    Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
    2 knob tape deck!
    3" homebuilt lift
    Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• jpcoutts
      304 AMC
      • Jun 28, 2002

Are you havun' fun yet...! It sounds like you are and learning alot at the same time. It doesn't get any better than that! Good work. Be careful and enjoy! It will be worth it in the end.
      Jim C
      '67 J3000 Dually
      '86 J20
      '79 CJ5(in pieces)
      '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
      Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• Rich88
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 20, 2008

Cheer up. Most who seem to be "experts" one way or another got to be that way by going through exactly what you're going through. Often repeatedly.

My personal favorite "oops" was realizing I forgot to torque the rear main crank bearing cap...after I reinstalled the oil pan & exhaust system. And I've been wrenching on these things and others since '72.
        Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
        88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
        "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• blkwarrior
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 15, 2010

GO DADDY GO! Good work on the rebuild. Like you I plan on doing the same in the future and all by myself. As for the battery charger get one that can also refurbish your battery, I got one and it really was less tnas $50.... a long time ago. Like Redone said it will come in handy more than you think.
          1984 GW
          360/727/208/ Edl 1406/ Custom exhaust

Future
          Something Sweet with mean capabilities .

Comment

• maximum destruction

on u're holley u will find 2 air/fuel mixture screws located in the front just above the base plate. turn both of them in until they stop. back each 1 out 3 1/2 turns. this should be close to good. once running, set/adjust the timing. once timing is perfect. go back to the a/f screws. adjust them until the engine idles as high as u can get it to. be sure u adjust both of them the same amount of turns. once u get that done, adjust the idle screw & u should find it runs great unless u have some other problem.

Comment

• godaddy
              232 I6
              • Jun 08, 2011

Another issue...

Maybe someone can help with the last gremlin? Put a brand new alternator in, went with a 94 amp and it's not working so I took it back. It failed the test so they couldn't get another until Tuesday. Got my money back and went to another parts store. Got another 94 amp, changed out the pigtail and changed out the alternator again and same freaking problem. It's not charging!! Is it possible that I got another bad alternator??

My questions, on the pigtail does the brown single wire go on the top or bottom?
              And there are only three wires going to alternator correct? Red wire and brown wire in the pigtail and then red wire to relay on the fender which actually charges? Is that all? My wires were a mess when I started the rebuild so just making sure I got this right.

It's been two nights of fighting this issue. Everything else seems to be solid. No leaks. Probably need some fine tuning on the carb but not worried about that just yet. Need to get this charging issue figured out.

Rebuilt AMC 360 - RV Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake , Holley 600CFM carburetor.
              Rebuilt torqueflight 727
              Currently working on interior with new carpet, cargo panels, new radio and new speakers

Comment

• REDONE
                304 AMC
                • Aug 19, 2002

Originally posted by godaddy

My questions, on the pigtail does the brown single wire go on the top or bottom?
                My engine is way too grimey to check again but I got a color coded drawing I made somewhere I just need to tear apart the storage closet to find it. Give me 20 minutes and I'll give you an answer, unless someone beats me.

EDIT>> In the connector it's little brown closer to 12 o'clock, little red closer to 9 o'clock. Big red wire to the splice going to the hot side of the starter relay.

(My truck is a 79, but when I rewired the engine bay I used the wiring diagram for 80+ since the pictures were clearer).
                Last edited by REDONE; 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM.
                304/T18/D20/D44s
                What's been did:
                MSD Streetfire based TFI
                Razor swap
                2 knob tape deck!
                3" homebuilt lift

Comment

• godaddy
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 08, 2011

Thanks REDONE! Appreciate the help and I love the pics of your engine! My wife wouldn't let me stray from black. The yellow is great looking! Going to pull this alternator and get it tested in the morning, hopefully third time is a charm.

Rebuilt torqueflight 727

Comment

• REDONE
                    304 AMC
                    • Aug 19, 2002

I only use bright colors when I want to know if I have a leak, otherwise I'm all about hide-the-goo black myself.
                    304/T18/D20/D44s
                    What's been did:
                    MSD Streetfire based TFI
                    Razor swap
                    2 knob tape deck!
                    3" homebuilt lift

Comment

• serehill
                      Gone,Never Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2009

satifaction is as much in the build as it is in the finish. Learn to enjoy the build.

Once you finsh you'll be glad you did. The sense of accomplishment is huge. To drive something you built is a great feeling.
                      Last edited by serehill; 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM.

80 Cherokee
                      360 ci 727 with
                      Comp cams 270 h
                      NP208
                      Edlebrock performer intake
                      Holley 4180
                      Msd total multi spark.
                      4" rusty's springs
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• jaber
                        Dragin Az
                        • Oct 17, 2003

Great story, congrats on the successful rebuild, just be patient with the little things and dont let them overwhelm you.

My first was about the same. When I did the first fire up, it would jump to 3500 RPM and stay there. I took 3 days to realize the machine shop drilled the rivits and took the plate off the bottom of the intake when they vatted it and me being a rookie didnt know it until a friend came by. My wife is still enjoying this engine in her GW and its been about 11 years now. I have built several since then, but it is my favorite...
                        Jeff

'43 cj2a
                        '51 Willys p/u
                        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                        '68 Panel Delivery
                        '74 CJ5
                        '75 J-20 Wrecker
                        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                        '77 J-10 p/u
                        '79 Cherokee
                        '88 Grand Wagoneer
                        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• godaddy
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 08, 2011

Fix one thing and find another issue...

I have the alternator issue fixed. I replaced all of my fusible links and Ta-Da.....the alternator is now charging. I had to put the old one back ub that squealed like a pig because I knew it worked before and sure enough, everything is fine now. So word to the wise, when in don't about a charge issue I would definitely replace all of your fusible links.

On to my newest issue and I swear all I did was replace the fusible links (at least I don't think I messed with anything else) and now the Waggy won't shut off at all. I turn the key to the off position to shut her down and she just keeps running. I didn't panic though and just ended up starving the carb with the AF screws to shut if off. I started the Waggy back up and sure enough...it wouldn't shut down. Starved it once again to get it to stop. What would cause this? Ignition works on start up but doesn't work on shut down.

Also, what causes an alternator to squeal like a pig pretty much non stop unless you are moving? I am still going to replace this squealing one as it's redonculously loud and embarrassing to drive. Just curious what causes this issue.

Rebuilt torqueflight 727

Comment

• Rich88
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by godaddy
                            Also, what causes an alternator to squeal like a pig pretty much non stop unless you are moving? I am still going to replace this squealing one as it's redonculously loud and embarrassing to drive. Just curious what causes this issue.
                            Are you sure its not the belts? Check tightness.

Otherwise the only other source of squeal would have to be the sleeve bearings, and requires disassembly & lube.
                            Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                            88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                            "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• jeeper54
                              350 Buick
                              • May 25, 2009

Had that happen a couple times. On my 85 GW when I reassembled everything I put the alternator plug in upside down. It also fried my ignition module.
                              Currently without
                              Formerly
                              1986 G.W. 360
                              1986 Eagle Wag
                              1985 G.W. 360
                              1984 Eagle Wag
                              1981 Wag 360
                              1978 Wag 401
                              1981 Cherk W/T 258
                              1966 Wag Super 327
                              Not counying XJs'.
                              [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

Working...
                              X