• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Steering Wheels

Been looking at them. Anyone seen a wheel where the leather is tucked under on the spokes? Lecarra does it but they don't seem to have much "dish" like the stock wheel. Looks cheap and unfinished otherwise. Even $250 Volante wheels don't have it.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

I had a Lecarra on my VW in the 90's and LOVED it. I paid $100 at the Pomona Swap meet (plus a $40 adapter) and it was worth every penny. it felt soooo good in the hands. I guess that does you absolutely no good since it does not have the dish you want but just my first through.

I felt the stock 79 Sport wheel in my cherk was the correct size and shape but the actual rim was too thin. I saw this guys build thread and he wrapped his wheel with leather (he was an interior guy so he was able to do it himself). I DM'ed him hoping he would wrap mine becuase I always felt that a stock sport wheel with real leather wrapping would have been ideal.
    Whole Build thread
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

The one picher of the finished wheel seems to be gone. Not just not opening but gone. For me anyway.

My Lecarra in the CJ is flat. I had to recover it. My son got me a custom leather wrap that you kinda sew on like the original. Looks good but isn't made to cover the spokes so I trimmed the original cover so it left a bit of the leather from the spokes like a flange that got covered and held in place by the new stuff.

Fits good and tight but I have my doubts about using it on a wheel that isn't fairly thick foam. Also my stock Wag wheel spoke covering is this ugly baby s... uh baby puke yellow. I guess the sun got to it. Sorta reddish-brown on the back.

Maybe try it but leave the old cover on for more "give" and dye the stuff on the spokes.

Seems to me you used to be able to get leather in a roll like a tennis racquet wrap but long enough for a steering wheel. Probably some tool tried to do it while driving or it came off and was implicated in a wreck so they stopped.

Fortunately no hurry on this.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
        The one picher of the finished wheel seems to be gone. Not just not opening but gone. For me anyway.
        Went in, dug around a little, and found it. I left the picture huge to show details. This was EXACTLY what I wanted/dreamed my wheel to look like.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
        X