X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outback Jeep
    232 I6
    • Sep 25, 2003

Using a drop pit-man arm is not nessary, but it will greatly reduce bump-steer, which is a must in my opinion.
    Brian Matthiesen
    Outback Jeep--The Leader in Full Size Jeeps

Comment

• billyrb
      BJ's Off-Road
      • Aug 15, 2001

Originally posted by Outback Jeep:
      ...The choice is clear that BDS is superior to any other spring no [on] the market.
      Brian Matthiesen
      Outback Jeep---the Leader in Full Size Jeeps
      Silly question: how is it clear that BDS is superior to any other spring on the market? Because Outback Jeep uses them? I would have to disagree Brian. Skyjacker would be, in most people's opinion, the most superior suspension on the market. But, price excludes them from most peoples budgets. I mean, saying BDS is superior to any other spring on the market is like saying BJ's Off-Road springs are superior to any other spring on the market. It's purely subjective. I would agree that BDS makes a decent spring. I would also state that BJ's Off-Road does, as do Rusty's, Superlift, etc.

Now, having said that, you would be much safer saying "I feel that BDS is superior to any other spring on the market based on.....x". Just my opinion, though.
      BJ's Off-Road
      [email protected]
      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• racer32
        258 I6
        • Aug 15, 2002

you tell em ryan...
        89 XJ
        85 Wag

Comment

• Bobbo
          350 Buick
          • Sep 11, 2003

Yeah boy!!! LOL ! My vote is for BJ's! A couple more months and I will have it!
          78 Cherokee WT with a 4" BJ's system 401/TH400/half of a QT and 35/13.50-15 Toyo MTs

Comment

• Manhattan
            304 AMC
            • Jul 30, 2000

Or... BJ's System is, without a doubt, superior to any spring currently on my Jeep.
            Mark

Comment

• ryphil
              232 I6
              • Aug 25, 2003

Hey Manhattan,

Fully loaded(I noticed your Jeep looks about as loaded as mine) how much taller is your rig? In the nose to nose pic it looks about like 4" but in the pic you have AT tire and now you say you have MT's. And how much rubbing before the body work?
              RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!

Comment

• Outback Jeep
                232 I6
                • Sep 25, 2003

Ryan, this is not subjective. When a person has been the four wheel drive industry as long as I have things start to becoming fact rather than opinion. I have only seen one of your old lifts on a customers vehicle. Yes, it lifted the Jeep and the customer was satisfied but complained about the stiff ride and average articulation. I?m not hear to discus my opinion about your spring because I know very little about your springs. Anything I said would be opinion and, an opinion not supported by fact.

On the other hand I know a great deal about most of the other spring manufactures. They are inferior. From the steel compound, to the lack in taper on the leafs, to the over all spring rating. I have been installing all types of lift kits on all types of vehicle for years and constantly BDS offers the best in ride quality, articulation, and manufactures quality. The second choice in springs, which would be equal to BDS, were the BDI springs when they were made by Warn. Now BDI springs are just Superlift springs with the BDI label. When a person is building a vehicle there are two ways, the right way and the cheep way. Either way is right, some just prefer quality and craftsman ship over price. Why would a person spend a large amount of money, only to find they are not 100% satisfied with the product, when that same person could spend just a fraction more and be 100% satisfied with the best. Anyway my intent was not to bash any manufactures springs I was just laying some fact out on the table in regards to the BDS springs.

Brian Matthiese
                Outback Jeep---The Leader in Full Size Jeeps

Comment

• Poley
                  360 AMC
                  • Mar 22, 2003

I would rather buy from a fellow Jeeper the a Co. That doesn't not give a crap about FSJ's. Too bad that I found this site after I purchased my lift kit. next time I will know better.
                  Fullsized Gets it DONE!!!!

Comment

• Manhattan
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 30, 2000

Originally posted by ryphil:
                    Hey Manhattan,

Fully loaded(I noticed your Jeep looks about as loaded as mine) how much taller is your rig? In the nose to nose pic it looks about like 4" but in the pic you have AT tire and now you say you have MT's. And how much rubbing before the body work?
                    Just about every picture on that site (Meet Bushwood) is with 3" RC springs and 31 ATs. With 4" springs the 32s barely rubbed at full flex - front of rear fender. I've since lopped off 1.5" inches of the rear fenders.
                    Mark

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                      Propane Protagonist
                      • Aug 25, 2002

Originally posted by Manhattan:
                      Or... BJ's System is, without a doubt, superior to any spring currently on my Jeep.
                      Ditto!
                      The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• jode
                        JB Welder
                        • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by racer32:
                        is it absolutely neccessary to get a drop pitman arm with a 4" lift?
                        NO!

I run 4" Superstiff springs with no DPA and I have no bump steer.

Qualification:
                        It is quite possible (likely) that the reason that I have no bumpsteer is somewhat related to the Superlift "springs." You see, the concept of bumpsteer is that when the vehicle hits a bump, it compresses the suspension and changes the effective length of the draglink. However, seeing as I have yet to hit a bump that could compress those monster, POS, superthick leaves Superlift calls "springs," I have no problem with bumpsteer. My advice to those considering Superlift "springs" -&gt; install a piece of 4x6 steel in place of your springs. It will give you the same ride quality and will be cheaper

Originally posted by Outback Jeep:
                        Ryan, this is not subjective. When a person has been the four wheel drive industry as long as I have things start to becoming fact rather than opinion.
                        Brian - I think you may be coming across a little bit condescendingly here. I don't own BJ's springs and I am a far cry from the point where I would call them (or any other springs) the best springs out there, HOWEVER, your opinion, is not fact. No matter how long you have been in the industry.
                        Welcome to the board, and I hope you decide to stay and contribute to this awesome forum, but you may find the waters here a smidge more accomodating if you can manage to tone it down a hair. Even your signature line is a bit arrogant...to say you are the leader in FSJs, when I for one have never even heard of you...just my $.02

PS to Racer32 - feel free to come test drive my rig to see how you like driving with a 4" and no DPA.
                        No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• blt2krl
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Apr 03, 2001

Lets tone down the reteric (sp?) and get back to the comparisons on a technical level or I will close this thread. I would like to place this in the archives but don't want a pissing match between businesses. OKAY, Thank you for your support.
                          Paul Hartman
                          79 waggoneer
                          AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                          DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                          39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                          www.cbioffroadfab.com
                          WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• scott f
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 15, 2003

I have the BDS kit on my Wag and love it. Good on the street and pretty good flex. Highly recommend BDS.
                            1977 Jeep Wagoneer<br />360 Q-trac/lo<br />Durabak in and out<br />Con-ferr roof rack<br />BDS 4\" and PA 3\" body

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Dec 28, 2002

Every time i have ever used BDS springs ive bent them EVERY TIME!! I am NOT HAPPY WITH BDS. I used to get prototypes from them (cj 6") And they have always bent.(maybe i wheel too hard) Ive seen good and bad come from the factory even with material certifications, so most posts here are reflrctive opinions and not fact in my eyes, We could tally up the amount of customers who have been happy with their lift from each manufacturer and we would find that the longest running would have the most, on the other side of teh coin we could tally up all the guys who were unhappy with their lift and we would find the longest one out there would probly have the most...anyway you stack it it will be the bj's kit for me..I havent heard a gripe about them yet
                              AMC/Jeep Forum
                              Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                              ///
                              "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• Sambo
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Sep 25, 2001

i wished i could find a rear spring that dont bend :/
                                i have bent rough country,and rancho springs,not to mention stock!!!!
                                i am wondering if some one could make a military wrap spring that dont bend or break????? that way it has two main springs to work with,but allow some flex!
                                77 chero DEAD.
                                84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

Working...
                                X