• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSJJ388
    232 I6
    • Jun 24, 2017

HOW TO GET A TITLE IN NC

Ok, so a friend at work sent me info on a 86 wagoneer his dad has. I bought it for $275 pending he finds the title. Well, now he says he cant find it. He told me up front it was a friends truck that had died recently and he and the friends brother were selling off the stuff. Seems reasonable to me, and I have a lady that would fix the title since the man died. He says him and the brother have looked for the title and cant find it anywhere. Is there a process in nc to get a new title in this situation?
    JSJJ388
    EAGLE SCOUT '15
    1986 GRAND WAGONEER - 360 (NAME TBD - PROJECT)
    1994 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE - 4.SLOW (GREEN GREMLIN-TOY)
    1994 DODGE DAKOTA - 3.9L (OL' FAITHFUL - DD)
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know about NC but in WA it's pretty easy. Call the DMV/DOL in NC actually best for the heir/next of kin who the car was left to call. I'll be going through this later this year with my mom's car. Here it's just a matter of giving them a lic plate number, copy of the death certificate and a check for $40. Takes a few weeks to get a new title in my name. Then it gets gifted to my son. Pretty easy if the 'owner died' isn't a BS story and the seller didn't do a title jump.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JSJJ388
      232 I6
      • Jun 24, 2017

Originally posted by joe
      Don't know about NC but in WA it's pretty easy. Call the DMV/DOL in NC actually best for the heir/next of kin who the car was left to call. I'll be going through this later this year with my mom's car. Here it's just a matter of giving them a lic plate number, copy of the death certificate and a check for $40. Takes a few weeks to get a new title in my name. Then it gets gifted to my son. Pretty easy if the 'owner died' isn't a BS story and the seller didn't do a title jump.
      Thanks. I have no reason to doubt the story but I am proceeding with caution. The thing has been back there years and it shows
      JSJJ388
      EAGLE SCOUT '15
      1986 GRAND WAGONEER - 360 (NAME TBD - PROJECT)
      1994 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE - 4.SLOW (GREEN GREMLIN-TOY)
      1994 DODGE DAKOTA - 3.9L (OL' FAITHFUL - DD)

Comment

• 61Hawk
        258 I6
        • Jul 18, 2009

Originally posted by JSJJ388
        Is there a process in nc to get a new title in this situation?
        Have you called the NC DMV? Might be a good starting point.

Comment

• mattmopar440
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 17, 2007

Illinois is a nightmare but I've seen it done in washington and it was a 30 min process so it depends mostly on which state your in
          87' Grand Wagoneer
          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• selkplitt
            232 I6
            • Sep 01, 2010

In pa you would get a new title from dmv in owners name then the executor along with death certificate would sign title over to you.
            http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/selkplitt/
            1989 Grand Waggy stock
            2007 Commander Rock Mountain Edition
            2021 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

the form you need is called an MVR-4
              Application for duplicate title.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

If you know it's not hot and been off the books for for a while and are willing to be less than totally honest on official government forms the easiest thing would be to tell them you lost the Title and apply for a new one in your name.
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Originally posted by SJTD
                  If you know it's not hot and been off the books for for a while and are willing to be less than totally honest on official government forms the easiest thing would be to tell them you lost the Title and apply for a new one in your name.
                  Actually, the EASIEST thing is not to commit fraud. lol It may save you a step or two now, but if you get caught it will end up much more complicated.

aa
                  1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by SJTD
                    No you're opening a can of angry worms with sharp teeth.. Running the plate through them will just expose who the legal owner is(name on the title). Doubt any state will issue a duplicate title to anyone other than the "legal owner". If that were possible people would be filing for lost titles on any car they liked and had the plate number to.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• SJTD
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 26, 2012

My understanding is that, at least in Kal, if a vehicle isn't registered it is dropped from the records after a certain number of years.

Maybe there's a double secret file available to LE or something but if you go to the DMV after that time without any paperwork other than the VIN and license plate number and try to pay up you'll be met with a dumb stare.
                      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bwwhaler
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Dave's got it, someone from the family will have to apply for a lost or duplicate title, dealing with the estate that may be a PIA.... Talk to DMV, there is a way to get a mechanics lean against it and then apply for a title, but it has to be done by a towing company or shop, that's how they deal with customers that never pay for their vehicles. Might work if you know someone with a shop or towing company, if not, maybe they will do it for a nominal fee for you... worth a shot if you can't do anything through the estate...
                        87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                        Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • May 19, 2002

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                          the form you need is called an MVR-4
                          Application for duplicate title.

dave in NC
                          It's been decades since I tried this but I believe that when applying for a duplicate title the paperwork is sent to the last title holder (or at least to the address on the title) and it is up to them or their estate to complete the process. In the cases where I tried in NC I had no way of contacting the owner or estate myself, and nothing ever happened. I've ended up junking every vehicle that I've had in this situation. Same story in SC too.

S.J.
                          "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                          360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                          T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X