• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayray311
    232 I6
    • Jun 21, 2017

Rhino Line/Hercu Line the interior floor

Hey All

I have decent carpet inside my 88 GW...except for all the stains. Although I live in the PNW and I notice that when IM opening and closing my doors throughout the rainy season it is getting my floor carpet wet, and keeping it wet for weeks on end until we get a dry spell and it gets a chance to dry out.

Im nervous about the carpet staying wet and causing problems underneath it like rust etc. I was contemplating pulling out all the floor carpeting on the front and back seat floor and rhinolining/herculining it instead.

Anyone ever do this? happy with results?

Good Idea?

Any opinions appreciated.

Ray
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

First off I personally hate bedliner goop in a car. Don't even like it in a pickup bed. Buts that's just me.
    You're correct about continually soaked carpet rusting the floor boards. Seriously doubt you getting in/out allows the carpet to stay soaked. Maybe at the door sills but not the floorboards. Odds are your fresh air kick panel vent drains are plugged and rain water is over flowing soaking your carpet. Get into the vents, clean out the leaves, pine needles, muck and run a wire down the drains to open'em up. Not sure on an 88 but if you have the plastic drain plugs in the floorboards...throw those away and let moisture drain. At that time you'll also be able to determine the condition of your floorboards.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rayray311
      232 I6
      • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by joe
      First off I personally hate bedliner goop in a car. Don't even like it in a pickup bed. Buts that's just me.
      You're correct about continually soaked carpet rusting the floor boards. Seriously doubt you getting in/out allows the carpet to stay soaked. Maybe at the door sills but not the floorboards. Odds are your fresh air kick panel vent drains are plugged and rain water is over flowing soaking your carpet. Get into the vents, clean out the leaves, pine needles, muck and run a wire down the drains to open'em up. Not sure on an 88 but if you have the plastic drain plugs in the floorboards...throw those away and let moisture drain. At that time you'll also be able to determine the condition of your floorboards.
      Well when its drizzling and im getting into my 2 doors multiple times a day some rain gets the carpet wet, along with dripping water from right above the door dripping down from the roof and dripping directly onto the edge of my carpeting. ive been watching to see how it gets wet, and this seems to be the case.
      although can definitely be coming from another source like that.

can u give me more detail about what the
      fresh air kick panel vent drain is. im trying to look it up online with no success

thanks
      Last edited by rayray311; 03-07-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by rayray311
        can u give me more detail about what the
        fresh air kick panel vent drain is. im trying to look it up online with no success

thanks
        Where the footwell meets the vertical part of the body is where the cable operated fresh air vents are (aka kick panel). There's one on drivers and passenger kick panels. Ya can't miss'em.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 44BZ
          304 AMC
          • Dec 10, 2009

I put Herculiner on the floor of my Jtruck shortly after I replaced the floors due to rust through. Then later I covered it with a generic FatMat sound deadener and added a carpet kit because it started getting dirty and grungy looking. I don't regret doing it and I don't have to worry too much about rust coming back, but adding the FatMat and carpet kit was a big improvement.
          Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• rayray311
            232 I6
            • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by joe
            Where the footwell meets the vertical part of the body is where the cable operated fresh air vents are (aka kick panel). There's one on drivers and passenger kick panels. Ya can't miss'em.
            right to the left of the parking brake...perfect...ill peek around there this weekend a bit.

thanx for the help

Comment

• rayray311
              232 I6
              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by 44BZ
              I put Herculiner on the floor of my Jtruck shortly after I replaced the floors due to rust through. Then later I covered it with a generic FatMat sound deadener and added a carpet kit because it started getting dirty and grungy looking. I don't regret doing it and I don't have to worry too much about rust coming back, but adding the FatMat and carpet kit was a big improvement.
              Where did ya get the Fat Mat and Carpet Kit? I see many places that sell the fat mat...but not the carpet kit.

That's a good idea to pull out carpet...rustproof and rhino line it then recarpet

Comment

• 44BZ
                304 AMC
                • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by rayray311
                Where did ya get the Fat Mat and Carpet Kit? I see many places that sell the fat mat...but not the carpet kit.

That's a good idea to pull out carpet...rustproof and rhino line it then recarpet
                If I remember right I ordered the sound deadener through Amazon. It's the foil stuff with heavy asphalt-like tar on the back. Pretty easy to work with. Just cut to fit, stick it on, and smooth it out with the supplied roller.

The carpet kit I bought off ebay. I think I only paid $160 and got free shipping. It was the best deal I could find and I've been happy with it. I think BJs offers the carpet kits as well.
                Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Read these for your vent:
                  I think my front vents are clogged in my 88 GW, and water is seeping onto my floorboards. Looking for any tips on removing the AC assembly? I know there are threads on this but haven't seen any discussion on the actual removal step by step. I think I see all the screws that need to come out. Is there enough slack in the hoses

I recently purchased a '76 J10 that looks amazing, but I'm discovering that a lot of the previous "restoration" work was pretty shoddy. So no, when it rains the carpets get damp. After searching the forum I've narrowed in on the the fresh air vents and their drains. Last night I pulled the passenger side vent and

Hey guys, my fresh air vents on my '76 j10 were leaking and rusting out the floors. i pulled the vents out and vaccumed out the 50 pounds of leafs and one animal bone. but i noticed that the rubber around the flaps are so old and cracked, at the bottom the rubber doesnt even touch the housing. do they sell these aftermarket or

(http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/sean_jackson3/media/image.jpg4_zps9zgwv28j.jpg.html) Had a long write up on procedure but it deleted whole post when I went to photo ucket and came back. Anyways, this is why your air vent knobs are stuck. Leaves and debris collect in here from your cowl below the windshield.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rayray311
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    Read these for your vent:
                    I think my front vents are clogged in my 88 GW, and water is seeping onto my floorboards. Looking for any tips on removing the AC assembly? I know there are threads on this but haven't seen any discussion on the actual removal step by step. I think I see all the screws that need to come out. Is there enough slack in the hoses

I recently purchased a '76 J10 that looks amazing, but I'm discovering that a lot of the previous "restoration" work was pretty shoddy. So no, when it rains the carpets get damp. After searching the forum I've narrowed in on the the fresh air vents and their drains. Last night I pulled the passenger side vent and

Hey guys, my fresh air vents on my '76 j10 were leaking and rusting out the floors. i pulled the vents out and vaccumed out the 50 pounds of leafs and one animal bone. but i noticed that the rubber around the flaps are so old and cracked, at the bottom the rubber doesnt even touch the housing. do they sell these aftermarket or

http://forums.ifsja.org/showthread.php?t=179270
                    awesome...thanks

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

I have the same problem here in Seattle, everything is so wet all the time the inside gets wet. I know it happens from my boots because I've fixed the door leaks and the top of my floor mats are often very wet right under the gas pedal. That's not to say it can't be coming from other places as well, I found one of those other places on mine just the other day, but there is a LOT of rain here in the winter. I also plan on bed linering my floorboards before adding carpet or anything else just as an extra layer of protection. Mine actually came with some sort of black undercoating on the floorboards that if it wasn't factory it was done when the truck was new and managed to protect those floorboards for 45 in the PNW and I would like them to last another 45.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• ShagWagon
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 10, 2016

I pulled it all out and rustolium and spots, rhinolinered mine two coats and put the carpet back on.

I would do it again. Good for soundproof and moisture barrier. Also cleaned out all the debris from my air vent, rustoliumed in there.
                        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

for my two cents worth:

20 years ago i restored a 1978 K-5 Blazer
                          i had it lined with truck bed liner, the rubberized kind

i primed the floor with eastwoods "corroless" now called rust encapsulator.

then i took it to the bed liner guy,....

he sprayed from firewall all the way to the back to tailgate opening.

i ran it like that a few years, then added carpet.

recently i removed the sill plates to polish them, and i found the bed liner

near the door seals can be peeled up like a sheet of rubber,...

and moisture has crept in under the rubber causing surface rust about 6

inches in.

water will find the smallest opening and get in there.....

overall it is not a bad idea, but make sure you get good adhesion,

by sanding or wire brushing the surface so the coating will hold tight.

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• SJTD
                            304 AMC
                            • Apr 26, 2012

I've had a moisture cured urethane in my CJ for at least 10 years. Can't recall the brand off hand but it isn't one of the big names.

No cracking or peeling. Has faded.

One of these days I'm going to give it another coat of Durabak without the rubber granules added.

The key is proper prep and urethane, not vinyl or some other material that's sold.
                            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

I used (I think) Eastwood's rubber undercoating to do the interior floorboards on my old Falcon Wagon and my car smelled like tar for 6 months. If you use anything, make sure it doesn't stink.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X