Going On A 3,000 Mile Trip In An $800 Waggy; What Should I Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cavalier
    232 I6
    • May 27, 2015

Going On A 3,000 Mile Trip In An $800 Waggy; What Should I Replace?

I've got an '86 Grand Wagoneer with about 180,000 miles on it that I bought for $800.

I know nothing about its service history, and only that?with some new ignition parts?it seems to run great.

Anyway, I'm about to tow a Willys 1,700 miles to Utah, where I will go off-roading. Then I plan to drive back.

My question is: what parts should I definitely replace before embarking on this journey?

I've swapped the water pump, brakes and steering parts. As well as a bunch of ignition bits. Any other suggestions?

-David T.
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Maybe fuel pump? Since you're towing get a transmission service & check all fluid levels, and other standard tuneup stuff.

Whatever you decide to do outside of normal maintenance stuff, would almost rather bring a good set of tools and the parts you (think) you'll need to replace, fix it on the road if something goes down. Depending on how long you'll be gone, you could return what you didn't need when you get back. Replacement parts can be dodgy, and the stuff you have currently running is road tested and could be more reliable than something new. Anyway, that's what I'd do but I'm full of untested theories.
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Cherokee Outlaw
      • Jan 10, 2006

Well said, johnsonic. I'd take a bunch of spare parts and fluids. No sense in replacing good, well known parts. New parts are crap these days. Replace stuff as you need to. Some things I would replace are anything rubber (coolant/brake/fuel hoses, belts, ect) and your thermostat. Bring plenty of tools, too.
      Bring a spare fuel pump and ignition module and you should be good to go.
      -Jonny B.
      1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
      7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
      NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
      F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
      R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Wagoneer - Sold
      1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I've taken some on 2000+ mile trips, only part you wind up needing seems to be the one you didn't take along lol.

Road service card, and cell phone were the tools I wound up needing most.

Take it on a HARD run before trip, if something is gonna break it's usually if you beat on it some.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

AAA card and some toilet paper for sure.

Check and top off fluids. Bring some fluids. Oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, jumper cables, misc toolbox.
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• cavalier
            232 I6
            • May 27, 2015

I've been reading about issues with oil pumps, timing covers and distributor gears.

Are these extremely common problems that I should nip in the bud?

-DT

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by cavalier
              I've been reading about issues with oil pumps, timing covers and distributor gears.

Are these extremely common problems that I should nip in the bud?

-DT
              No they are not common. They occur when replacement parts aren't checked prior to install, or poorly manufactured aftermarket distributors/timing covers are used.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

180,000 on the rig and towing 3,000+ miles? I would toss in a new stock radiator, run an external trans cooler not the in-the-rad cooler. I would also flush/change the brake fluid.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• kansasboy001
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 06, 2016

Oil pump is not an issue if you have decent oil pressure. Timing covers are not an issue unless it's cracked or something. The dist gear is not a problem unless you swap the distributor and don't swap the original gear on the new dist. The gears have to be a matched set.

For common parts I'd leave whatever stock parts that are on it now if they work. Especially the fuel pump.. They aren't made very well these days. But definitely take a spare new fuel pump along and a electronic ignition box. A volt meter some wiring and connectors can go along way if something electrical goes bad. I'd replace all the spark plugs, make sure the carb is good and tuned up. Make sure the vacuum lines are new or not cracked. Wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel pickup sock in the tank. There is a access hole in the floor for 1980+. Maybe a new or a spare alternator
                  1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

On a $800 rig, I would check the tires and replace the wiper blades. Make sure you tires are not dry rotted or super old. It would really suck to have a tire come apart, at 65mph while towing. Also sucks/dangerous driving/towing in the rain on hard tires and with crappy wipers.

Bring a sleeping bag/pillow. If you break down in the boonies, you may be waiting a while for a tow truck.

I agree with Babywag, Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81, and ShagWagon. When I do roadtrips in sketchy cars, I bring tools/fluids, but not really any parts.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Oh! And make sure your head, turn, tail, and brake lights work. Would suck to get a ticket in another state for a $2 light bulb.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

I wouldn't. In my personal experience, stressing a high mileage vehicle with towing long distance will kill it. High mileage vehicles last a lot longer if you drive them gently but driving them hard will kill them quickly unless a lot of work is done to them first. I'm not talking about something like a belt snapping or a fuel line leaking. Those are things you can easily fix on the side of the road. I'm talking about valves burning, bearings pounding out, transmission bands burning out, etc. Serious stuff that will leave you completely hosed.

Do not tow over 2000 pounds if you do not have the tow package with 3.31 gears and a transmission cooler. Your transmission will commit suicide.

I suppose if you have no choice, this is what you should do:

-Change engine oil and filter.
                        -Change transmission oil and filter, and have the bands adjusted.
                        -Change the rear axle oil.
                        -Check the rear driveshaft U-joints.
                        -Replace every rubber hose and belt. Especially fuel hoses.
                        -Replace air filter and fuel filter.
                        -Make sure the carbruetor is in good shape inside.
                        -Make sure the timing is where it needs to be.
                        -Replace the spark plugs.
                        -Make sure your radiator is clean inside. Towing will stress your cooling system.

No need to bring a whole spare Jeep with you, but bring these:

-Spare fuel pump.
                        -Spare ignition module.
                        -Spare spark plugs already gapped.
                        -Spare fan/alternator belt. You can keep driving if you lose any other belt, but you must have a fan and alternator belt.

No need to bring the whole shop with you. Tools:

-Combination wrenches, 1/4-5/8".
                        -1/4"-drive sockets and ratchet with extensions, 1/4-3/8".
                        -3/8" -drive sockets and ratchet with extensions, 3/8-5/8".
                        -1/2"-drive sockets and ratchet with extensions, 1/2-3/4".
                        -13/16" spark plug socket.
                        -Assorted screwdrivers.
                        -Needle nose and channel lock pliars, and a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters).
                        -Knife.
                        -Duct tape, electrical tape, self-fusing tape, and bailing wire.
                        -WD40 or penetrating oil.
                        -Large adjustable crescent wrench that goes to at least 1".

If you can't fix it with that, you shouldn't be fixing it on the side of the road anyway.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• gpcl16
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 02, 2016

I wouldn't buy anything. Save all your money for gas. You will need ALL of it.
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          4" BDS Suspension Lift
                          Tru-Trac Rear
                          Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• deckroid
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 05, 2016

Aw, Pfffft. Just go for it. I am looking forward to following your trip via posts and tweets.

I would take all fluids (oil, anti-freeze, atf, brake, windscreen), belts, tools, a portable power station with air compressor, various hoses and clamps, fuel filter, wire, tape, water, snacks with high protein and a blanket.

I put all that stuff in an enclosed tote (THIS ONE) and that is my "Oh Oh" container for going 10 miles or 1000. I have done some long distance trips in my 1984 GW with 240k miles and I have done some not so long but in the middle of no where trips. My rig has never broke completely down, but it has from time to time given me a few moments of frustration. Luckily, I had what I needed to get back home.

I daily mine and carry that stuff at all times.

And just FYI... I am super jealous of your trip. I am 600 miles away from Moab and have never made it yet. I keep telling myself, "One Day...".

Good luck and godspeed, John Glenn.

Comment

• Texas993
                              230 Tornado
                              • Feb 05, 2017

Bring some tools to remove the vin number tags and the license plate. With an $800 truck, you may just leave it on the side the road when it breaks down. Rent a Hertz SUV with hitch and carry on with your trip.

Just kidding, have a good trip and good luck.
                              Patrick

'89 Grand Wagoneer. Gold/Beige. Restored

'88 Grand Wagoneer. Colorado Red/ Tan. Restoring

Comment

Working...
                              X