• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KBWoodwgn
    232 I6
    • Jun 04, 2001

Tailgate Hinge Pins

Good Evening again,
    I was admiring my Grand Wagoneer last night and happened to notice that my right tailgate hinge pin has been completely sheared. Anybody know why this would have happened in normal use?
    Also the other one looks bad.. So I need to replace both. I called around and ended up at the dealer.. $18 per pin and has to be ordered. So I ordered em.. However, Are these more than Grade 8 bolts with no thread? The first Dealership tried to sell me a complete hinge for $125...I said no to that but it doesn't look like these 15 year old pins are going to come out willingly.. Any tips?
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Replacement floor<br />30\" Bridgeston Dueller AT Revos<br /><br />2003 Honda Odyssey<br />Family hauler
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

Drive 'em out with a punch and large hammer. I think the hinge itself is aluminum after 1980 or something like that. I removed the whole hinge to do a swap before I punched the pins out, but you probably don't need to unless you want to be sure not to smack your tailgate (?)
    Removing/replacing the tailgate in a full removal is a heavy pita to do by yourself.
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

They are pressed in there pretty good, never gotten one out intact. A bit easier to change the hinge.
      Hardest part is dealing with the torsion bar but as long as you don't pull it out it's not that bad.

The newer GW hinges are Aluminum, not sure about the pin (at least the '85 was). I'm pretty sure I still have them both, email if interesed, I'll do like $25 + shipping on the pair.

Reguardless of what you do, start soaking the bolts now, for several days at least. They build up some pretty severe rust between the bolts/backing plates in the tailgate and the mount plate on the body.

[ August 05, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: tadsal ]
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• andy d
        Shade Tree Shaman
        • May 06, 2000

i replaced one hinge on my 88. it was easier than i thought it would be. the torsion bars are unloaded when the gate is closed. what i did was to work on the hinge with the gate as clsed as possible. i harvested the hinge from my 84 so i did all my learning on that. i would see if i could get a used one from a fellow board member by posting in the wanted section.
        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• KBWoodwgn
          232 I6
          • Jun 04, 2001

Tad, I sent you mail.

Does the entire tailgate need to be removed to replace the hinges. I would rather do one at a time and leave the tailgate in place.

And I would like to spare bashing my tailgate with the hammer so taking the hinge off is probably the best Idea.

kb
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Replacement floor<br />30\" Bridgeston Dueller AT Revos<br /><br />2003 Honda Odyssey<br />Family hauler

Comment

Working...
          X