• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

New HEI

I want to order a new distributor for my 74' Cherokee 258.

What kind would the experts suggest?

Would the ones on Ebay be Ok or not?

If possible I would like to go cheap as possible but still want a decent one that works fine.

Are there brands to stay away from?

Are there things I need to be aware of with the drive gear? I remember something about certain gears need to be used for certain type cams or something but can't remember now what it was. It is just the stock cam in there...

What about this one?

Get the Best Performance with Speedmaster 6000 Series HEI Distributor AMC/Jeep 232/258 6-Cyl PCE376.1067 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

The price is right if it will work...........unless someone has a good used one for sale...
    Last edited by mwood65; 07-25-2020, 12:54 AM.
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Why do you need/want a new distributor?
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

I'd stay away from anything on ebay, chances are it's cheap chinese made crap.
      --Rob--
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
      https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

There is nothing wrong with the stock distributer, upgrade the ignition system with msd.

Comment

• mwood65
          258 I6
          • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by tgreese
          Why do you need/want a new distributor?

I was under the impression that a cleaner hotter spark would be an improvement over the points distributor.

Would it not be an upgrade to ho with an HEI unit over the points set-up?

Also I have had trouble with the ignition module that is on the Jeep and have changed it and am on the 3rd one now. First one was used and the other 2 since have been new units.

Comment

• mwood65
            258 I6
            • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by MysticRob
            I'd stay away from anything on ebay, chances are it's cheap chinese made crap.

What about the one from Jegs maybe?

Comment

• mwood65
              258 I6
              • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
              There is nothing wrong with the stock distributer, upgrade the ignition system with msd.

What is that? A replacement for the module and use the old distributor?

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

MSD uses a couple of different set ups, 1 is a msd ignition box which will take the signal from the current distributor and provides a hotter, longer spark, the other is a replacement top quality distributor that can use your stock ignition box or upgrade to the msd ignition box. The ones you buy on ebay, amazon, summit or jegs are Chinese junk, but there are a couple of aftermarket companies that make a good quality hei set up but you will pay a premium price for it, well worth it though. I used the stock electronic distributor with the msd ignition box but had the ability to swap back to the stock set up in case the msd system malfunctioned.

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 09, 2014

A ignition distributor that is not worn out and go for the petronix ignition system.
                  Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                  73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                  80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                  70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                  85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                  83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

EDIT - oh oh oh it's a '74. Sorry, brain freeze. A '74 comes with the Prestolite BDI (breakerless inductive discharge) ignition. The Prestolite stuff is not reliable and a good candidate to be replaced. The Prestolite stuff operates in an electrically unique way and you either have to keep all of it or get rid of all of it - no half-way alternatives. For you, the HEI would be a reasonable upgrade. I'd still worry about aftermarket HEI distributors chopping up my cam gear.

I replaced the Prestolite ignition on my '75 CJ-6 with a parts store Duraspark distributor from a '78 Jeep V8. This distributor (but for a 258) will drop in and replace your Prestolite distributor. You would need to rewire and use the Duraspark module or its equivalent, and add a ballast resistor between the ignition switch and the coil. I'm currently running "stealth HEI" which uses a Duraspark distributor to trigger a GM HEI module. More complicated, but a little more certain than the HEI upgrade.

You could also go backwards in time and pick up a a Delco points distributor from a '73 or older 258. Then the options described below would be available too.

+++++++++++++++++++++
                    I wrote this assuming you have points ignition.

The only thing that's "hotter" about the HEI is the coil. You can replace your existing coil with an aftermarket coil and get the same benefit in spark intensity.

The HEI also contains a module that replaces the points with a transistor. The module does nothing to change spark intensity; it only changes the trigger from a switch (points) to a transistor. Same on-off-on-off action.

If you want to switch from points to a transistor module, you can install the Pertronix kit to make your distributor "electronic."

The rest of the HEI is mostly packaging.

The MSD module can be driven by your Delco points distributor, and is even more of an upgrade in terms of spark intensity. The Delco is a very good distributor, and when used to trigger the MSD module, the points will last a long long time.

There is some danger that an aftermarket HEI distributor will damage the distributor drive gear on your camshaft. Do your homework (search the net, read old posts) and learn about this issue before you buy and install an aftermarket HEI distributor.
                    Last edited by tgreese; 07-26-2020, 09:02 AM.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Ive had the Skip White/Ebay HEI in my trucks for 10 years now. I always install the original gear on the distributor and it eliminates that melting spark module. You can get a HEI with wires for approx $150.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 09, 2009

I think most everyone is missing the 258 6Cyl. engine from the OP?
                        Most of us all have 360, or 401's.

To the OP, even though it's a 6cyl don't cheap out.
                        It costs a whole lot more to replace an engine where a stupid chinesium part gernades and contaminates the oil, scores the bearings, throws a rod, then it does to spend a couple more dollars on a proven part.

That being said.

Do you have a points distributor (74's usually did), or is it a Prestojunk system?
                        If it is a points style, then yes! a Petronix would be better if you do not know how to set up points.
                        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

Coming from some experience with running HEI on two 401s.

One is a Mallory on a 77 Wag. It replaced a Mallory that crapped itself and started eating ignition modules. The first one was 3 years old. The second one is 7 years old. The vacuum canister sprung a leak last year and got replaced. Back when I bought the 2 Mallorys, they were around $225.

Let's talk about the other one in an 88 GW. It is one of those Chinese pieces of crap from Skip White. It's 6 years old and still works as designed. The Skip White was $56.

So which unit is really the piece of crap?
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                            Coming from some experience with running HEI on two 401s.

One is a Mallory on a 77 Wag. It replaced a Mallory that crapped itself and started eating ignition modules. The first one was 3 years old. The second one is 7 years old. The vacuum canister sprung a leak last year and got replaced. Back when I bought the 2 Mallorys, they were around $225.

Let's talk about the other one in an 88 GW. It is one of those Chinese pieces of crap from Skip White. It's 6 years old and still works as designed. The Skip White was $56.

So which unit is really the piece of crap?
                            I know-RIGHT

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

It's Prestolite now. It's a 258. Skip White does not list a distributor for the 258.

The distributor he linked above is ca $70. There's also a Jegs house-brand for about $90. Then you step up to the Proform or DUI, ca $250-300.

To the OP - I suggest you ask on the baby Jeep forums whether anyone has swapped their 258 distributor gear to an aftermarket HEI, and if there are any recommendations for a specific distributor. Many more of the CJs and YJs came with the 258 than FSJs, and you are more likely to find someone with personal experience there.

Or just place your bet and take your chances.
                              Last edited by tgreese; 08-02-2020, 12:22 PM.
                              Tim Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X