International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM

gone topless!

well dear reader you may or may not remeber i rolled my 72 wag on wildcat waterfall at boulder creek offroad in marble falls tx
we kicked around tubing it out and dimissed that when a bud gave me a 76 cj5 for free....that could be awesome with my whole waggy drivetrain in it right?
so i get out to the shop with the waggy on tues and everybody loves the waggy of course ppl always do but.... they start talkin about how cool it would be topless and caged and a bit taller.....
so we decided to go ahead and cut the top off and see what it looks like...the scrap yard will take it in several pieces just like they'll take it whole right?
so i cut the top off and i'm sold... the cj's for sale
the plan for now is full choromoly shafts in the front since we broke both front ujoints and trashed the outers
i already found a full set of superior chromo shafts for $420 and a buddy of mine gave me a used set of ctm's they just need new caps
we're debating on converting to 8 lug all the way around with chevy front rotors and moser shafts in the rear so i can run 8lug wheels i already have in preperation for 1tons
either way we go with the wheel bolt pattern tires for now will be 37" wrangler mtr hummer tires
in the rear for now we're going to run stockish springs from an 80 j10
i got for free but under the frame rails and trimming the frame and rear of the waggy up so the rear spring hanger will be on the back of the bumper like a baby jeep the rears trashed now anyway and we're hopin to link the rear a little later on the rear suspension will be done sometime today
the front will be spring over on 80 j10 stockish springs with high steer i need to order the tad perches....ah the shackles will be reversed too
and to wrap this up tbi...i have the throttle body just gotta hit pick and pull for a pump and wiring
and the cage...not sure what it'll look like but it'll be bombproof
one last thing...until i figure out how to get back into my photobucket a myspace link will have to suffice for pics it's under waggy
http://www.myspace.com/dirtydave76522
72 waggy... 44's f&r 4.10's lockrite front welded rear, 4wheel discs, 33" dick cepecks, stock 360 with thorleys, 4" bj's spring lift with chevy shackles f 2" blocks rear, 1" body lift and some new creative body work.... waiting on 1tons and a cage!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM

today...

well i didn't get as much done today as i had hoped the wife is ready to have our son here any day now and i got tied up with that but i did get the first cut on the rear and the bumper remounted so i can start fabbing the shackles and with no further adoo heres the pics.......

and just for laughs heres two pre rollover

i'm still a lil upset with myself about rolling it but....it'll be better soon...ish anyway
72 waggy... 44's f&r 4.10's lockrite front welded rear, 4wheel discs, 33" dick cepecks, stock 360 with thorleys, 4" bj's spring lift with chevy shackles f 2" blocks rear, 1" body lift and some new creative body work.... waiting on 1tons and a cage!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 PM

more pics

what got removed so far

with the bumper temp mounted
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
FSJ Maniac

it's whitefoot all over again... that brings back some old memories of long gone rigs... ones that started this trend...

I'm glad you stuck with the fullsize, any putz can wheel a little jeep.

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

today

thanks! as fun as the cj woulda been the waggy is just cool you know? i didn't get too too much done today but i did get the rear spring mount stuff sorta done everythings tacked together and tacked or clamped in place hopefully tomorrow i can get the rear square in the wag and where i want it and burn everything in......looks like it wound up a ton higher than the 4" springs and 2" blocks....the goal is to clear 37's and i'm pretty sure we have that covered no problem i think it might even have to come back down a hair or too

these are 33's in the pics for reference
Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM
incommando

Well, all of the lil' jeep guys are stretching their wheelbases & track widths to equal what we already have... I think we are ahead of the curve...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

i'd have to agree the problem so far has been the overhang in the rear and i don't think that will be a problem now and i just wast running a big enough tire the 37's should help that alot tho.....while i'm thinkin about it i need to do something about the tranny crossmember getting the front d/s out is a pita and i've done a pretty decent job of reshaping it.....maybe something tubular? any suggestions? how about something big and flat kinda like a baby jeep?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Very nice! I have been debating shortening my wag. Very inspiring pics!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM

thanks! it should get a bit shorter once the rear suspension is done....hell it was tough to make the first cut but as bad as the damage from the roll was it made it alot easier....should have the rear suspension done today...i hope just gotta finnish welding everything in and tighten all the bolts up then it's off to the front and the spring over