International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 06:26 AM

Phoenix Graphics FSJ Laredo kit

Has anyone purchased and installed the new Laredo graphics package for 81 to 83 fsj's, trucks and/or Cherokees. I would like feedback on the kit as well as pics.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 AM
350 Buick

information would be gret for me too!

But: i checked the site, there are no decals for Cherokee Tailgate

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink
Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM
350 Buick

I'd use eBay.

They are about 70% cheaper than revolution/Phoenix/rider graphics, use the same vinyl and are really good at customizing.

I bought some for my Challenger for $59 that was $300 or more at the other places. Yep 3m. Same stuff.

Plus if you screw it up your only out $59. Can screw up 5 times.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 AM
350 Buick

At Ebay? There is no one that is producing this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
I'd use eBay.

They are about 70% cheaper than revolution/Phoenix/rider graphics, use the same vinyl and are really good at customizing.

I bought some for my Challenger for $59 that was $300 or more at the other places. Yep 3m. Same stuff.

Picture story:

Old 12-03-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagWagon
I'd use eBay.

Yea, no ebay for the Laredo stripe package. There was a big push from the community for phoenix to produce this kit, I'm surprised no one one on the forum has installed one yet.

I was thinking they gave both options for the tailgate for either the truck or the Cherokee.

I am trying to decide which nutmeg color scheme to use, the one with the orange accent stripe or the bronze colored accent. Any thoughts?

It's going on this Cherokee.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2016, 07:23 PM
304 AMC

Great Christmas present for your Dad
82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:33 PM

Shhhh. He's out there. Which do you think is closest to original.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:04 PM
304 AMC

Burnt Orange & Nutmeg is my fav & what's on my Chero
82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:51 AM
350 Buick

any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red mistress
Burnt Orange & Nutmeg is my fav & what's on my Chero

Picture story:

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 AM
350 Buick

phoenix grafix

all i know is phoenix grafix is a great company

quality material, etc., etc.

i have installed many kits from trans am to el camino kits

HIGHT QUALITY

if they sell it, it is right.

dave in NC
Old 12-15-2016, 02:12 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

NO WAY NO HOW

NO been attempting to see if the company would produce such a set for over a decade...For J10 truck never built for j20 long bed just J10 and cherokee
NO - Investment of 30000 in equipment alone to produce a set not enough ROI
Spoke with them directly 3 times over a decade
1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Last edited by badaboom : 12-16-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 AM
350 Buick

any news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon
Yea, no ebay for the Laredo stripe package. There was a big push from the community for phoenix to produce this kit, I'm surprised no one one on the forum has installed one yet.

I was thinking they gave both options for the tailgate for either the truck or the Cherokee.

I am trying to decide which nutmeg color scheme to use, the one with the orange accent stripe or the bronze colored accent. Any thoughts?

It's going on this Cherokee.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Picture story:

Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 AM
350 Buick

Email an eBay seller called Promotorsports

He's done a few custom kits for my Charger and Challenger. He's a geeky graphics wizard I just emailed him what I wanted and he got it done for 5x less than the graphics shops same material. $59 compared to over $300 at Revolution, Phoenix, or ridergraphics. Those the three bigs if you want to check with the others.

I don't know if he does FSJ but he might work with you to make himself a template for the future orders.

Id say worth the try. I'm gonna hit him up for my waggy when I'm ready for my wood racing stripes.

Lmk
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
NO been attempting to see if the company would produce such a set for over a decade...For J10 truck never built for j20 long bed just J10 and cherokee

I'm not sure what you are saying here. The J10/Cherokee kit is currently available from phoenix in a variety of color schemes. I'm sure it wont fit the long bed J20, but they don't claim to.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma
any news?

I am ordering the Nutmeg / Burnt Orange kit for Dad.

I will install it after Christmas.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:47 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

No never made for J20 because they are a long bed. No laredo J20s were ever built - only shortbed
In the last 10 years I have contacted Phoenix graphics at least three times they didn't make or plan to make FSJ laredo decal kits because not enough return on investment (ROI ) of around 30K in equipment to produce the set for the FSJ decals. If the decals are made and correctly they will be painted and decal
This could have changed but I certainly don't know of this...
They do produce for the cj5 and 7 laredo decal sets

Also checking close at pictures the decals don't break in correct areas as original decals.
all corners are blocked and break/gaps about two inches after the 90 degree turns.
There pictures are showing no breaks just squared off. We will have to see your experience

checking there website it does appear that they are making some...
The original set of decals are decal and silkscreen painted.
Ask when you order if the decal kit is all vinyl? Or any paint?
If its all vinyl it's better than nothing but they ultimately won't really display the correct colors
1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Last edited by badaboom : 12-17-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 AM
350 Buick

please update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon
I am ordering the Nutmeg / Burnt Orange kit for Dad.

I will install it after Christmas.

Picture story:

Old 02-01-2017, 04:53 AM
350 Buick

BUMP

any news?

Picture story:

Old 04-02-2017, 01:02 PM

After much procrastination, I was finally able to get my hands on the Phoenix Graphics Nutmeg Stripe Kit for my Dads 83 Cherokee Laredo. Thank you Polarfire for the kit and contacting me via facebook.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
First thing I must say after many hours of carefully installing this mammoth amount of graphics is that it absolutely makes the Jeep. For some reason these graphics just work to highlight the body lines and I think it looks fantastic, of course that is my opinion. You check out the before and after pictures and you decide.

Now for comments on the kit, the good and the not so good.

The quality of the graphic vinyl is real nice, it has rich colors and is well made. It would be nice to have identifiers to go along with it, but I think we are all smart enough to figure it out. This kit is a combo kit intended to be used either on the FSJ j10 truck or the FSJ Cherokee Laredo. It was obviously designed primarily for the Truck, the Cherokee application got the short end of the stick. There were a few pieces included that were specifically geared toward the Cherokee (the tailgate graphics and the side pinstripe terminating piece at the back corners) but there are other specifically Cherokee Graphics that were missing.

So let’s look at the installation.

Starting at the hood. The large “L” shaped graphic that runs down the ridge in the hood had some issues. Mainly the angle of the “L” was too small. This caused the front edge to not be parallel to the front edge of the hood which also caused it to fall to far back on the fender where the fender graphic ties into it. The solution was to tweak the angle which meant cutting the large stripe to correct the angle. Also, this graphic is about 1 ½” to short front to back and about an inch to narrow side to side. This ultimately meant that the fender graphic is moved to far back and does not follow the body line correctly and that the hood graphic can’t follow the hood line or it won’t make it to the bottom edge of the hood. I overcame the fitment issues as best I could and it looks okay.

[IMG][/IMG]

The cowl “S” graphic laid down nice, but “S” shape is not exaggerated enough to follow the body line.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The sides went well, with the exception of three things, one that is major, one that is okay and one that is no problem. Starting with the major one, the lower rear quarter graphic behind the wheel is a piece that is specific to Cherokees and was “NOT” supplied in the kit. It is a piece that is tapered and ends before the bumper. The piece supplied in the kit is for the Truck application, which is too long and not tapered. I installed it anyway and it looks “okay”. The second issue has to do with the long side stripes where they meet at the back terminating graphic, all of the stripes are designed for the truck with 90 degree terminating ends, the Cherokee would be set at angle, so I had to trim it to be parallel to the terminating graphic, which upon closer inspection looks weird. And finally, the lower graphic behind the door, the kit supplied the piece behind the door for the truck, but in the Cherokee application, the front lower piece for the truck bed needed to be modified to fit and trimmed to match the door.

The tailgate pieces fit nicely.

The fender flare stripes fit good, but they have a little too much arch at the top. I tried flatten them but it was putting too much stress on the vinyl and it was going to get a crease in it, so I let it go.

[IMG][/IMG]

So, at the end of the day the Cherokee has graphics and I think it looks great, even with the flaws, but I hope Phoenix Graphics will see this and make strides to improve the kit fitment and make it fit the Cherokee better.
One final observation, there were a large number of unused graphics doing the Cherokee, it is a shame that so much is wasted in this application.

[IMG][/IMG]

The price could be reduced a little if a specific Cherokee kit were made. But I get quantity of available market and how limited the number of buyers are, so hats off to Phoenix Graphics for making this kit for us.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 PM
232 I6

What a super gift from a Super Son.
We talked about investing some hard earned bucks in a pricy Phoenix Graphics combo J Truck/Cherokee kit as soon as it became available. But until we could hear more about the fit from somebody who has been there and done that we both chickened out. Or so I thought.
I had no Idea why he wanted to trade rides after our last show together. I thought he just wanted to tune it up and give the previous owner (His Neighbor) a ride. And yes. He did that too.
Now that you Laredo owners know more than Heath did about the fit, I hope you all run out and bring your FSJ ride the Laredo look the Combo Laredo Graphics give your paint restoration.
Being this is the only FSJ Laredo Graphics kit that is presently available, I can live with it until something with a better fit comes along. In my case The colors go perfect with the copper brown metallic paint
But, to be honest. For the retail price today it should fit as perfect as a NOS Laredo Stripe Kit. Shouldn't have cost a penny more to make it ALL exactly right before going into final production. One Happy Camper Heath's Dad