• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

Vern & Me: a Jeep story

A little about me, then on to the jeep. I'm 32, married, have a two year old boy named Clay. My first "keeper" car (instead of short-term junkers, I mean) was a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0 / AW4 / 231 transfer case. I bought it at 68K, sold it to my brother in law somewhere north of 130K ~7 years later. I lifted it a little, put some performance mods on the motor, did WJ front brakes & ZJ rears - but when Clay was born, I realized it just wasn't ever going to be quite what I wanted it to be and besides, what I wanted changed w/ the baby.
    So I bought an 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 V8. It's more comfortable, quieter, quicker, better brakes, safer for the car seat, bigger etc - but has no charisma. If I'm going to be driving junk that I have to fix all the time, I say, I at least want to something I can love.
    I also have a '57 Chevy truck with LS swap but that's not Jeep so that's all I'll say about it here.
    Anyway, I was at the junkyard the other day and saw a 1972 Wagoneer. They wanted $800, $900 delivered, but when I looked closer at it it was just too far gone. Floorpans, missing engine pieces, one of the doors wouldn't open past the bashed-in rocker panel, etc. So I hunted Craigslist and found the right Jeep: 1975 Wagoneer, 360-4bl. New enough to have the Dana 44 + disc brakes, old enough to be pre-smog in California (no smog tests on this one!)
    I borrowed my friend's Dodge, rented an auto trailer, and drove ~6 hours north to Oregon. Getting through the mountains the rain turned to snow but no ice, though I was lucky to get back out of the hills before the road froze. ~15 hours on the road all told.
    Here's the new Jeep, Vern (named after the old timer who sold it to me) on the trailer in Oregon, an under-hood surprise & the mess I made of the driveway getting stuck. Notice that the whole setup is stuck going across the entrance. Tons of fun with the hand-winch to free all of that up...
    Oh- and in the last shot - Vern (the PO) had plumbed the carb to a gas can and I didn't see where things were supposed to go. Anyone know what I'm looking at and where it belongs? I take it the line plugged by a bolt should run to the filter but the other one with ~2" of hose on the end is a mystery to me.

• bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

Congrats on your purchase! Should be a fun project. That end of the filter should be for your fuel inlet. I can't tell in the pics but the prebent metal tube with the 2" rubber hose might go to the fuel pump directly below. The hose with the bolt....don't know. It might be something temporary.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• 44BZ
      304 AMC
      • Dec 10, 2009

Good looking Wag. Curious that somebody wrote 401 on the core support. Have you checked the block to confirm it's really a 360?
      Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

I got all of five minutes free while the potatoes were boiling and the kid was asleep, so I went out to the Jeep with a mirror and a flashlight.
        Confirmed: it's a 401.
        The line with a small piece of hose attached is the fuel return line, which I didn't realize this engine had, which makes the larger one the fuel supply line. The return goes to the fuel filter... provided you have a return-style filter (which currently, I don't)
        So I'm thinking that as long as the 79+ Motorcraft style distributor has the same terminals as the '75 Prestolite, I'll put plugs + wires, a fuel filter, some fresh gas & a new battery to it and see what happens. It did drive onto the trailer so I know it's not totally Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!ed, though it was drinking gas from a 5 gallon can & had started on an around-the-farm battery.

Comment

• yossarian19
          258 I6
          • Nov 13, 2016

Well, the plot thickens.
          With an oil change, ignition tune up and new fuel filter / hoses I got it running well enough long enough to discover that the power steering pressure line was completely toast: reservoir emptied itself in under a minute. Ok, new pressure line, new return line, put an in-line filter in there for good measure. Put the tires up to 30 psi (from 10) and one more time around the block.

Now it runs & drives well enough to get it up to the DMV for my first crack at transferring title. Needless to say, paperwork didn't go through - but it's getting worked on.

On my way up to the DMV, though: a noise like a fog horn, a billowing smoke show coming from the radiator overflow hose. It rain just fine but the steam show makes me think there is probably a crack in the head, block, head gasket or maybe more than one of them that is pumping compression gasses into the coolant. I'll learn more when I'm back from the holiday, but plans may be changing faster than anticipated.

Comment

• yossarian19
            258 I6
            • Nov 13, 2016

Yep, it's got to be a bad head gasket (best case) or a crack in the heads or block.
            I've been soaking everything in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF for a week now, slowly removing things as they freed up. Today I finally got the valve covers, intake & rockers pulled, tomorrow the heads come off for the big reveal.

Comment

• yossarian19
              258 I6
              • Nov 13, 2016

Burnt exhaust valve. That'd be why I have no compression in that cylinder.
              Still don't see why I've got compression gasses in the cooling system but there's got to be a reason in there somewhere

Comment

• yossarian19
                258 I6
                • Nov 13, 2016

Wow, I've kept this up just about not at all.
                I had the heads done at the machine shop and got them back on.
                So here are the updates, in no particular order:
                One thing I had to decide was whether I was going to use the mechanical pump to pull fuel to the engine bay and an electric pump (pressure fed) to feed the fuel injection, or if I was going to run an in tank pump. Well, the puny 1/4" return line and a clogged pickup in the tank made that easier. Drop the tank, pull the fuel pickup. Use a blowtorch to melt the solder holding the 1/4" return line in place, pull it out (use pliers. It's hot) and drill the hole out for 5/16". The "5/16" fuel pickup tube is actually already 3/8", the plumbing steps down leaving the tank. Also, note that the tank is actually baffled pretty well in my '75 to begin with. I'm not anticipating any fuel starvation issues and if I'm wrong, I'll install a Holley Hydramat fuel pickup.
                So, now you use a scrap piece of 5/16" fuel line from under the hood and cut it off, make a fuel return tube, solder it in place, measure twice and cut the 3/8" fuel pickup tube once, slightly flare the end and install a 1990 Chevy full ton + big block fuel pump. The bottom of the fuel pump strainer goes 9" below the pickup flange. Drill a hole in the flange for the wires to go through, and if you followed my directions you get this:

Comment

• yossarian19
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 13, 2016

Oh, hell with it. Photobucket has been working reeallly slowly for me for ages now but I thought hey, I'm waiting on parts, I'll update this a bit.
                  I suffer through the loading errors on the PB web site and now they need an updated account to post forum pictures.
                  i tried and tried to find an alternative photo host that I could use to embed photos but nobody supports these old-timey web forums anymore.
                  So... it's sunk. I'm done with this thread I guess, unless something changes. Nevermind.

The idea is this: Wiring megasquirt 2 isn't that hard. Mount the ECM in a fun lunch box for all it matters, bolt a big-block TBI onto an adapter, yeah the intake manifold won't match but you should already own a die grinder right? GM sensors will screw right in to the intake, you've got the space. Ford Contour dual fans fit like they were made to go on our radiator. Put a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, replace a frankly scary master cylinder, add a 3/8" feed line for the EFI, BAM, $3,000 Wagoneer. Headliner and carpet TBA, maintenance items as needed, 401 & a TH400 = tow pig & car camping vehicle. Stereo... maybe later.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by yossarian19
                    Oh, hell with it. Photobucket has been working reeallly slowly for me for ages now but I thought hey, I'm waiting on parts, I'll update this a bit.
                    I suffer through the loading errors on the PB web site and now they need an updated account to post forum pictures.
                    i tried and tried to find an alternative photo host that I could use to embed photos but nobody supports these old-timey web forums anymore.
                    So... it's sunk. I'm done with this thread I guess, unless something changes. Nevermind.

The idea is this: Wiring megasquirt 2 isn't that hard. Mount the ECM in a fun lunch box for all it matters, bolt a big-block TBI onto an adapter, yeah the intake manifold won't match but you should already own a die grinder right? GM sensors will screw right in to the intake, you've got the space. Ford Contour dual fans fit like they were made to go on our radiator. Put a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, replace a frankly scary master cylinder, add a 3/8" feed line for the EFI, BAM, $3,000 Wagoneer. Headliner and carpet TBA, maintenance items as needed, 401 & a TH400 = tow pig & car camping vehicle. Stereo... maybe later.
                    Flickr allows 3rd party hosting. Their mobile app isn't too useful (I ended up with ENORMOUS pictures on my thread), but the desktop version is pretty easy to work with.
                    '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                    (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

Working...
                    X