• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJ5
    350 Buick
    • May 07, 2002

Timing Advance & Vacuum ?

I was double checking everything last night and had a question about advance timing. The initial timing
    should be 5 deg BTDC. My book also lists total advance timing as 20-29 deg @ 2000RPM (don't exactly
    remember the number but I have it).

Now, I have a timing light with a timing advance dial on it. I set the dial to 0 disconnect the VA and
    fixed timing on 5 deg. To use the dial feature I adjusted the idle speed to 2000, reattached the VA
    shot the timing mark and rotated the dial to 20-29 deg. It brought the mark to 0 deg. Is this the proper
    way to do it. It seemed right but just wanted to check. If so, timing and VA was right on.

Any other tricks I can do with this type light?

Also, is ported vacuum vacuum that is 0 at idle and increases with RPM? And manifold vacuum starts at
    20 (on mine) and decreases and increases depending on load? Will the manifold vacuum ports be
    located on the base plate of the carb? Is that the place to measure manifold vacuum or would it be
    more accurate to measure it from the manifold port where the PVC is connected.

Wow, sorry fo all the questions.
    Brakes and PVC should be connected to manifold and VA connect to ported? Just trying to get my
    terminology and vacuum ports right.
    Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
    '72CJ - Complete Restore
    '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
    '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Working...
X