• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckside
    258 I6
    • May 02, 2015

Portable Work Light?

The two of the last three I bought were total crap and didnt last mor than a few months...the other decent one was an Astro rechargeable but my Dad stole it from me when I was working on his van . Any recommendations? I like them with magnetic bases and rechargeable.
    1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
    1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

I have several of the CAT lights that we picked up from Costco. Haven’t seen them there in a while, but they work great and are rechargeable. Maybe look for those. They are smaller, so i keep one in each vehicle and the larger one in my truck toolbox. They have definitely helped on side-of-the-road repairs on mine and other’s vehicles.
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

I've had this Ryobi 20w lamp for a couple years now, and while it's not magnetic it does have a nice hook on it. This thing is BRIGHT, and will go about 6 hours on one of the 6AH batteries.

They don't give em away, but I've put mine through the ringer several times, and it's held up amazingly well.
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I am embarrassed to say, I live on the free lights (both the black flashlights and the blue puck ones) from Harbor Freight.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

I just got the Astro rechargable light as a gift: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...S5Y/ref=sr_1_8 ... Seems pretty nice. Bright! It's a lot smaller and lighter than I imagined. Nothing wrong with gifting the "stolen" light to your Dad and buying another for yourself.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• deckside
            258 I6
            • May 02, 2015

Originally posted by tgreese
            I just got the Astro rechargable light as a gift: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...S5Y/ref=sr_1_8 ... Seems pretty nice. Bright! It's a lot smaller and lighter than I imagined. Nothing wrong with gifting the "stolen" light to your Dad and buying another for yourself.
            HA! Your exactly right....and thats what I did! Gotta make sure I tell that dirty hippy to keep his hands off my new one!

Comment

• UnkleMunky
              350 Buick
              • Oct 17, 2000

If things like that seem to walk, that's where a few good Sharpies come in handy. Put YOUR name in big, bold letters on it. Mark your spot in other words!

I've found that where one light works well in one place it may not work as well in another, and vice versa. I've got a few of those HF blue puck lights and don't mind using them in certain places....afterall, they are pretty much disposable, being free most the time. They do come in handy in certain places, and doesn't hurt to keep one in a glove box.

I've also gotten a couple of those Blackfire clamp lights, like these:

Got the 100lumen ones before Sears left town last year. I have more powerful flashlights, but I love the flexibilty of these. Can position and rotate them in numerous positions. They can clamp or stand as well. Easy to carry by a pinky if your hands and arms are full as well. Got some other lights as well, but I'd say if I had to choose a single flashlight, it would be between my 6D billy club and a similar stick style or these Blackfires that I'd grab in most cases.

The Astros look great, however...just have not used one....yet.
              Michael (UnkleMunky)
              '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
              '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
              Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

I've been using a couple of these lately. Seems to work good so far.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
                1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• deckside
                  258 I6
                  • May 02, 2015

The verdict is in....I got Coquimbo COB work light for $22 for a two pack...and the are freaking awesome. Super bright, small, rechargeable , rotate, three different settings. Link here for anyone in the market.

Comment

Working...
                  X