• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Brainless question: Oil fill tube

I've always wondered why AMC put that big gawdy 6 foot lookin oil fill tube on the front of our engines. I know I can cut it down if I want, but I am wondering why AMC chose to make it so tall. I appreciate the ease of filling/addind my oil and can even imagine in the days of the old oil cans, it was probably even easier and more appreciated. Do you guys think its really only for ease in filling the crank case?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

yep.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Brynjminjones
      258 I6
      • Jun 11, 2017

They could probably foresee how often we'd have to top them up!
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
      1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

IDK, I think its kind of cool and different! Every other engine (other than old flatheads) usually have the oil fill in one of the valve covers and another hole for a breather. Our valve cover's are sealed!
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I like it, works well on Jeeps. Was odd/seemed out of place on the oldsmobiles I owned.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

very practical for oil change, flip the oil container and let it empty.
            another aspect is to let you know how much crap is being cooked, similar to a still, the owner's manual states that the tube should be cleaned to remove excess residue
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• gpcl16
              232 I6
              • Apr 02, 2016

FYI earlier Ford FE engines have a similar oil fill tube arrangement, (assuming they have stock valve covers and intake) though it isn't quite as tall and prominent. I had a '63 Galaxie with a 352. Also I learned the hard way to never pick up the intake by the tube on an AMC. Sometimes it's not in there as tight as you think and you drop a 90 lb intake on your shin... Seriously I have no idea why a stock AMC V8 intake is so heavy. I've had stock intakes off on big block Fords and Chevys that were substantially lighter. The only one even comparable is on an international V8 I'm putting together right now.
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              4" BDS Suspension Lift
              Tru-Trac Rear
              Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

I'm guessing you don't have air conditioning.

AMC generally made more of a point to make their cars easier to work on than other manufacturers did.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Nah, I have A/C. I'm going leave it, because it's practical. I'm just not used to manufacturers considering owner's convenience like that. I am used to oil drain plugs draining directly onto cross members or axles, Motor mounts going through a belt routing (so you have to lift the motor to change the belt), Spark plugs buried deep behind a laid over intake manifold and down/under the cowl making a spark plug change take all day, etc.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

...oh, and transmission oil pans that don't have a drain plug making a trans filter change a ridiculously messing job.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jun 03, 2002

ah, ah, ah, I agree that oil pan drain to the driver's side diff is a pain. For the trans, add a drain plug when doing your first oil change. at least we can check out trans fluid level, unlike some bmws devoid of dipstick, you have to let the oil warm up at 175F, not 180, not 165... the diagnostic program is needed, then remove the inverted oil level plug to see if the oil barely drips out of the opening... some mercedes seems not to have an engine dipstick nor a digital gauge, it will tell you when level is low... but how much to put in.
                      Michel
                      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• mwood65
                        258 I6
                        • Jul 17, 2017

Because of that longer filler neck your jeep holds an extra quart of oil.

It's a performance mod.

Comment

• gpcl16
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 02, 2016

Originally posted by letank
                          ah, ah, ah, I agree that oil pan drain to the driver's side diff is a pain.
                          Indeed. They changed the front diff to drivers side drop and never bothered to change the oil pan. It bothered me so much that I relocated my oil drain plug to the bottom of the pan when I rebuilt my 360 4 years ago. It also helps to get a little extra oil and anything that may be in the bottom of the pan out at each oil change. I highly recommend it if you have a later FSJ and you have your oil pan off or engine out.
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          4" BDS Suspension Lift
                          Tru-Trac Rear
                          Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

i think most iv'e had had the plug out the rear of the pan. like my '77,assuming these pics still work.

this one is my beater. got it home,and we have nice weather coming in. i have bucket seats in the '76 wag for it to replace the trashed bench. and the wiring is pretty bad. rigged ignition. and the signal-stat turn signals is classic too. and under hood. they actually took out the delco and put in a
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

The pan on mine was to the rear but when I removed it, I found 2 holes that had been welded up, it had a ginormous dent, and generally looked awful. It would have taken me hours to clean it up for paint. Now I have one that dumps toward the drivers side (which is probably OK since I have a passenger side pumpkin.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X