• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agent Orange
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 30, 2001

Soft Doors like a CJ

Anyone ever try to make these or considered it.
    I like pulling my doors off my CJ to ride around in hot weather.
    Jon Ellis<br />80 Cherokee WT, 401, SOA, Dana 44s with 4.56 and detroits, 35x14.5 Mickey Bajas, Durabak inside and out<br />77 CJ7 304, 4.10, Lock-right, 35x12.5
  • Brown Bear
    304 AMC
    • Apr 09, 2000

I'm contemplating this very notion, for when i chop and cage my FSJ, whether it be the current one, or another &lt;HINT, anybody wanna trade?&gt; I'll prob build a door frame out of aluminum square tubing. Something simple, that will basically fit the door opening. I'll probably cover the frames with a canvas of some kind.

As for mounting, I was thinking about some sort of pin and hook system, kinda like the door hinges in your house. Most likely 1 pair of hooks and pins per door that mount from the top, and have a locking pin or maybe even threaded with a nut, to keep em from rattling around while driving. As for windows, I'll probably go with a fold down plexiglass, or a zipped plastic wrangler like system.
    NathanielButts
    IFSJA Member #18
    RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
    MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
    TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool

Comment

• Agent Orange
      327 Rambler
      • Jul 30, 2001

That is kind of along the lines I was thinking. Mimic the CJ door, but instead of using square tubing, use the metal rod that the CJ door uses. I think it might be easier to form fit around the door jam. The one problem I see is the cost for a shop to do the canvas. Have no idea what that might run. I would like to do it as cheap as possible of course. Hanging the door would be simple but figuring out a latch will be a little more difficult.
      Jon Ellis<br />80 Cherokee WT, 401, SOA, Dana 44s with 4.56 and detroits, 35x14.5 Mickey Bajas, Durabak inside and out<br />77 CJ7 304, 4.10, Lock-right, 35x12.5

Comment

• Brown Bear
        304 AMC
        • Apr 09, 2000

You could probably adapt the cj style latches without much difficulty. It's been awhile since I've looked close up at one, but can't imagine it being too difficult. The canvasing wouldn't be extremely difficult to do on your own either. You could probably glue it to a square tube frame fairly easily and solidly. You could also backplate it with some thin flat stock, and pop rivet it to the frame, which I would actually prefer. Another reason I like the square tubing idea, is that you could put a panel on the inside, and fill it with foam insulation, thereby giving you a little bit warmer ride in the winter time.
        NathanielButts
        IFSJA Member #18
        RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
        MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
        TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool

Comment

• Agent Orange
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 30, 2001

Good ideas, but I would just throw the real doors on for the winter.

Comment

Working...
          X