• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rande
    Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
    • Jun 26, 2000

TFI Conversion Slightly Simplified

Thought I would toss this out because another thread brought it up.

Problem in the TFI conversion is the mounting and connection of the TFI coil. This can be eliminated by using a different coil than the TFI.

Reason for using the TFI is the high power output of that unit. When I peformed the mod for my '83, I went ahead and bought an MSD Blaster2 coil figuring that if higher power is good, even higher power is better! Problem came when trying to mount the very different TFI style coil. I used two little "L" shaped brackets from the local hardware store and bolted them to the stock mount. They were slightly wider apart than the mounting holes on the TFI coil so I just bent them in a little and bolted the TFI coil to them. The coil wire now points forward instead of up but that was no problem. I then used an Accel universal Hi-perf sparkplug wire set and when I went to make the coil wire, I found they included two sets of ends for the coil wire. The set for the newer TFI coil and the newer distributor cap which uses the tower style connections and a set for the older plug-in style of coil and cap.

Here's the simplification (two actually).

I found I could have used an MSD Blaster2 cylindrical coil and eliminated the coil mounting problem completely. Their cylindrical coil actually puts out a bit more power than their TFI style coil (49,000 volts vs. 48,000 volts) and a lot more than the stock Ford unit. I could have used the new tower style end for the distributor and the older plug-in style end for the coil and used the cylindrical coil in the stock mount. That would also eliminate the splicing in of the Ford style coil connector.

You can check out the voltage specs for the two style coils on their website.

Explore MSD's range of unrivaled ignition systems and components at Holley.com!

Feel free to send me money for this labor saving tip!

[ October 30, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
    N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
    1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
    1966 Mustang
    1937 IH D2
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

I have an HEI coil mounted on my fender well for use withthe TFI in my J10, works great.

Comment

• crispyboy
      304 AMC
      • May 14, 2002

so which coil (part number) would you order?
      I have already bought everything else - wires, distributer base, cap, rotor cap and plugs.

Any idea how much these are?
      Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
      <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• Rande
        Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
        • Jun 26, 2000

Here's one:
        N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
        1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
        1966 Mustang
        1937 IH D2

Comment

• crispyboy
          304 AMC
          • May 14, 2002

I guess I need to ask another dumb question then:

My new wires have the Ford style of rubber boots on end on the wires.
          Can these ends be changed? My new wires are the 8mm which I specified a ford 460 - I also got a very short coil wire.
          Any idea of what the stock ford tfi coil voltage is in comparison?
          Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
          <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

Working...
          X