International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnuck
Deutz don't do so well in transportation vehicles. The vibration, smoke and smell drive people away from them.
\\

there was a Deutz powered j20 on craigslist a few years ago, neat set up

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood
Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnuck
Deutz don't do so well in transportation vehicles. The vibration, smoke and smell drive people away from them.
Ok I can see how smell could be a problem with oil leaks but they are a quality motor and don't spew by nature but smoke and vibration can't be any worse than any,I'd have said noise would be bigger issue(reason they failed euro regs),any deutz motors I've had experience with run very nice and with inline fuel pumps they are very lively and easily tuned,I certainly wouldn't mind having one in a Jeep but they are generally expensive here and most of the trucks they were fitted to are long since exported so combine harvesters and stationary units are only option here,anyway sorry to derail bmax
Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Moore
\\

there was a Deutz powered j20 on craigslist a few years ago, neat set up
That's interesting,with no rad and what seems to be relatively low profile I think it would fit in nice
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM

The biggest issue is they are thirsty for a diesel. 20 mpg with an O/D isn't great and is achievable with gas motors. John Meister put a couple other diesels in Wagoneers and the weight was overcome by putting a lift in front, but the vibration still sucked. His final one (that has been waiting 14 years) is a Nissan SD33T which runs smooth and clean.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM

Our deutz have been very good on fuel to be honest ,actually they are renouned for economy over here,has to be lighter than 6354 perk and certainly lighter than 6bt,I'd do it if I had time and money,even played with idea of the 3 cyl in an offroad buggy,think air cooled makes sense for a lot of applications but they do sound a bit like a jet engine when that fan is at full tilt and high revs,but that's appealing to some
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM

We have some 1 and 2 cyl ones here. We used one on the loader in the scrap yard. 10 gallon tank got filled once a day.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 PM
bmax65

Hey 350...Deutz...is that the engine in a Pinzgauer?

Hey 350-

A co-worker has a Pinzgauer, it might have some kind of an air cooled diesel in it...not too sure though.

Anyway, he loves the things, in addition to WW2 Jeeps.

And hey...2 other things- you didn't 'derail' anything, hehe, your just talking diesels- I'm a diesel noob, so any info is welcome anyhow. Also, lots of us have 'imperfect' vehicles, so don't worry, fee free to post pics!

Thanks again for the discussion, it's interesting.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Not to mention you're used to our conversations going sideways! That mirror is still on my desk. Found some front lenses you might want that are going with it.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 PM

Pinz are pretty cool machines bmax ,they were fitted with an air cooled petrol motor for a while I'm sure,all parts are also designed especially for them so it won't be any common engine,if original that is,common swap over here is a VW diesel..hey Carnuck,1 and 2 cylinders ??no wonder you have vibration issues LOL,only smooth single diesel I ever seen was an old lister with a fly wheel that musta weighed a half ton!!i can't say if 10 gal is good or bad in your situ,you obviously think it's bad but how much work was it doing?we had a 5cyl 912 which when worked hard would just about manage 10 gal a day..our 6cyl 912 with aftermarket holset (140hp) would use almost twice that but also manage close to twice the work!!not many 6litre motors that will do a hard days work for 20 gal.....our common rail 6litre deutz is an alcoholic by comparison and only rated at 120hp..sd33 turbo
Engines are rare over here in fact I've never seen one,NA Sd33's were very common at one stage as every other 4x4 was a Nissan for a period from early 80's but they were gutless ,ran lovely but wouldn't pull the socks off a deadman,..anyway back to Perkins then Bmax..I'd gladly swap mine for a deutz lol...but seriously I just remembered,the last 6354 I seen in a vehicle was fitted to a French military truck,non turbo ,I think British leyland fitted a lot of 6354's in 7ton truck range but they were mostly fitted in tractors and plant machinery,they are a nice smooth running engine for sure..did you know the diesel pump is fitted vertical?

Last edited by 350 Vortec : 10-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 AM
bmax65

Hey 350

Hey 350-

Thanks again for the discussion and tidbits, always happy to learn stuff.

Didn't know about the pump orientation on the 354...have read about different types of pumps. Have read that if you get an agricultural 354 and want to use it on road, to fit a damper on the front- interesting discussion on 4BTSwaps.com a while back...guess the guy pulled it out of a Massey tractor or something, put it in his truck, and the crank went bye bye shortly there
after. Something about 'constant-load ops' vs. 'hiway ops', vibration wise.

Just find them kinda fascinating, plus they are sort of period to the FSJ era, and have seen pics of them in International trucks, too. Your right, they don't make the mega power of the newer diesels, but guess I'm just a stubborn, vintage minded guy....couple that with the luv for the FSJ's,
and other old trucks, hehe....yeah, I'm my own worst enemy

Thanks again for all the commentary....if you can, put up some pics someday, too.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 AM

Hi Bmax,I'm not sure about the 4bt vibes but I do know that any 4 cyl's that I have experience with have what's known here as a harmonic balancing shaft fitted,driven directly from crank and internal,maby cummins rely on an external balancer which was removed in that case?? but I think it's a 4cyl thing as I have not seen them fitted to 6cyl engines from same manufacturers,which makes sense I guess however suggesting that tractor versions don't need it doesn't make sense,in a rigid frame I would have thought they would need smoothness even more...one of my 6354's is fitted to an 80's tracked excavator and the second is actually a spare I picked up years ago but never needed to fit,excavator gets little work these days,I must compare both crank pullies and see if truck version is different,kinda doubt it ..not particularly talented when it comes to computer stuff but will post pics ASAP
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 AM

Here's a link to one for sale in UK pump is vertical and the same shaft is used to drive compressors or Hyd pumps,you can see it is open ... http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231363202099?nav=SEARCH
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM
bmax65

Oops- sorry for the confusion, 350

Hey 350-

Sorry for the confusion- the website 4BTSwaps.com, has non-Cummins discussion sections, too- the vibes were on a Massey-Ferguson equipped with a 354-the tractor/combine 354 didn't have a harmonic damper- guess a solid hub?

The guy said the 'constant load' ops of the tractor was not in need of a damper, but if you were to take an 'agricultural' 354 and wanted to put it in a road going vehicle, that you'd need a damper due to the varying rpm's in 'road ops'.

As for pics, hehe, take your time...I'm not a pc geek either, half of that stuff makes my blood boil. I think sometimes certain engineers delight in making non-geeks miserable

Have a good weekend.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Thanks Bmax,sorry my fault for not reading your post properly
Old 08-17-2016, 01:36 AM
Noob!

Anyone on IFSJA into Perkins T6 354

I have a 1982 Mainship 34 with a Perkins turbocharged ST6.3544M and Im trying to find the cruising and maximum rpm range along with normal and maximum water temp limits. Does anyone have that info? Thanks, Greg
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 AM

Here is my 4L CAT step side project. It has a Phoenix adapter for a 700R4. I mounted it with a bushed cross member.